USA WNT Scrimmage | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA WNT Scrimmage

Reaction Score
the guard play of the future for the National team in 2020 is the question mark...the future of the front line with Stewart and EDD and Griner is set with Charles and Fowles still able to contribute...liked the way that Plum moves with the ball and was very unselfish with the ball...point guard for the future must be a pass first and shot second type player...Maya and Edd can both play the big guard if need be and still need Angel to play for defense if nothing else...do not think Diggins is the answer at the point...she usually has to score to be an effective passer...she is a good defender tho...anxious to see what a healthy Moriah Jefferson brings to the table...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
the guard play of the future for the National team in 2020 is the question mark...do not think Diggins is the answer at the point..
For 2018 I think it will be Skylar by default. Unlike Candace Parker, Skylar smartly maintained a good relationship with USA basketball and a great attitude after she was eliminated from consideration for a US world Championship team.

We have the best players in the world competing to be on the best team in the world,” Diggins said while in New York for NBA All-Star weekend. “It’s going to be challenging. There’s only 12 spots, and there’s way, way, way more than 12 players who could be deserving of those spots.
“The committee chose what they wanted. For me, it’s all about that experience. I have many years with USA Basketball, many great experiences. Any time they call on me, I’m going to show up and try out to make a team.”

Skylar Diggins reflects on getting cut from World Championships team

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lol! You have to be careful putting that out there, people might read that as Dawn is picking the team now. :cool:

You joke, but I am never giving up that conspiracy theory.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Two other names that are in the USA PG mix Lindsay Whalen and Chelsea Gray. I'm also just a worried about the SG position for USA also. I though between Kmac, Jewel etc. someone would be further along. My thinking is that Angel and Lindsay might be primary or must have at 1&2 by the time 2020 Olympics roll around.

I think the international game suits K-Mac well. I watched very little WNBA this year so I'm not sure how she has been lately but San Antonio is such a garbage fire that it's hard to get a good read. She definitely has experience playing for and against top European teams, though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Hanging with Stewie:

“Hey, Stewie! Good to see you! What’s new since May 2016?”

“Hey, Lou! Dunno. Went to Seattle and ate some good salmon, was Rookie of the Year and made All-WNBA. Went to Rio, had some Brazilian Steak, and won an Olympic gold medal. Went to China and had some great Dim Sum. How did that trip to Dallas go?”

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

At the end of the clip, there are links to several other interview clips. There's a fun one w/ Kelsey and Kelsey, talking about making a run at the newly established career scoring record.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I’m a feeler as a coach,” Staley said. “Obviously we have a practice plan, but when you come in here and you feel the energy of the players, you want to ride that wave. We felt it. We felt that they came in really focused, wanting to compete and do a little more competition 5-on-5 [rather than us] breaking down doing drills. The drills we had broken down were executed in the 5-on-5 so we just cut it out and just capitalized on the energy they provided.”

Sounds so California. :rolleyes:

"The drills we had broken down were executed in the 5-on-5." Meaning there was a lay up, a few 1 & 2 screens etc in all that? I've always had a hard time parsing Dawn.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting for sure to see the passing of the torch at guard. The last Olympic roster should have contained at least one young guard like Diggins, Loyd, Jefferson or McBride to get some exposure. Whalen and Augustus have been phenomenal players and served the national team well, but their window is closing and I'm not sure either will be on the WC team. Bird has looked better the last two years than in the previous four, Taurasi is aging but if she wants to play, I put her on the team.

Chelsea Gray and Odessy Sims have been terrific this season for the Sparks, butnif healthy I would definitely invite Jefferson. Plum is good, but isn't exactly a quick guard.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It will be interesting for sure to see the passing of the torch at guard. The last Olympic roster should have contained at least one young guard like Diggins, Loyd, Jefferson or McBride to get some exposure. Whalen and Augustus have been phenomenal players and served the national team well, but their window is closing and I'm not sure either will be on the WC team. Bird has looked better the last two years than in the previous four, Taurasi is aging but if she wants to play, I put her on the team.

Chelsea Gray and Odessy Sims have been terrific this season for the Sparks, butnif healthy I would definitely invite Jefferson. Plum is good, but isn't exactly a quick guard.
The L.A. guards are playing very well. Odyssey was on the 2014 USA team that won in Turkey, but not the 2016 team.

I don’t expect Whalen to be on the 2018 team, and Seimone may be questionable.

I really want to see Moriah get healthy. There will be a void, and she’s unique among the PGs.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
For 2018 I think it will be Skylar by default. Unlike Candace Parker, Skylar smartly maintained a good relationship with USA basketball and a great attitude after she was eliminated from consideration for a US world Championship team.

We have the best players in the world competing to be on the best team in the world,” Diggins said while in New York for NBA All-Star weekend. “It’s going to be challenging. There’s only 12 spots, and there’s way, way, way more than 12 players who could be deserving of those spots.
“The committee chose what they wanted. For me, it’s all about that experience. I have many years with USA Basketball, many great experiences. Any time they call on me, I’m going to show up and try out to make a team.”

Skylar Diggins reflects on getting cut from World Championships team

Oh please. What a ridiculous comparison of situations. Candace is arguably the best to ever play the game. Diggins was coming off an injury and hadn't played enough to show her skills and be considered. Candace had every right to be upset, especially considering she had been used in the off season by Team USA for marketing purposes. I won't even get into why she was left off the team, but her being left off is the biggest omission in the women's game, EVER.

In addition, Candace never uttered a disrespectful word. She didn't need to, because the fans and other very high profile basketball folks spoke for her. She displayed nothing but class.

Moving on to Diggins....she needs to keep a positive attitude, because she is still fighting for a spot. She's going to have a difficult time battling against the likes of Sims and Chelsea Gray, who are currently playing the point guard position better than anyone else, including Bird and Whelan. All one has to do is watch their match ups against each other.

Heck, if Sue still had it, as some claim, their Seattle team wouldn't have faired so poorly. Their team had 2 Olympians on the court and couldn't contend with the teams that had zero Olympians.

I'm hoping Dawn does a much better job of spreading the love, because there's alot more talent out there than sticking with the same old faces. Taurasi has also slowed down considerably. She'll always be a shooter, but there's more to the game than that. Phoenix was another team with multiple Olympians. I honestly hope DT doesn't try to hang on to the game too long. She's becoming a shell of her former self. I was glad to see Catchings hang it up. She was another great, but she realized that she was no longer the player she used to be.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Oh please. What a ridiculous comparison of situations. Candace is arguably the best to ever play the game. Diggins was coming off an injury and hadn't played enough to show her skills and be considered. Candace had every right to be upset, especially considering she had been used in the off season by Team USA for marketing purposes. I won't even get into why she was left off the team, but her being left off is the biggest omission in the women's game, EVER.

In addition, Candace never uttered a disrespectful word. She didn't need to, because the fans and other very high profile basketball folks spoke for her. She displayed nothing but class.

Moving on to Diggins....she needs to keep a positive attitude, because she is still fighting for a spot. She's going to have a difficult time battling against the likes of Sims and Chelsea Gray, who are currently playing the point guard position better than anyone else, including Bird and Whelan. All one has to do is watch their match ups against each other.

Heck, if Sue still had it, as some claim, their Seattle team wouldn't have faired so poorly. Their team had 2 Olympians on the court and couldn't contend with the teams that had zero Olympians.

I'm hoping Dawn does a much better job of spreading the love, because there's alot more talent out there than sticking with the same old faces. Taurasi has also slowed down considerably. She'll always be a shooter, but there's more to the game than that. Phoenix was another team with multiple Olympians. I honestly hope DT doesn't try to hang on to the game too long. She's becoming a shell of her former self. I was glad to see Catchings hang it up. She was another great, but she realized that she was no longer the player she used to be.

Here you go again!
Today's lesson Readers Digest Version:
Candace not in the GOAT discussions never has been.
That tweet which Candace sent of her dunking on UCONN was worth more than a thousand words of disrespect.
DT wins the GOAT discussions "hands down".
As far as the Olympics, DT will go out on her own terms (not yours) just like Catch did.
Candace could learn a lot from Catch.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Here you go again!
Today's lesson Readers Digest Version:
Candace not in the GOAT discussions never has been.
That tweet which Candace sent of her dunking on UCONN was worth more than a thousand words of disrespect.
DT wins the GOAT discussions "hands down".
As far as the Olympics, DT will go out on her own terms (not yours) just like Catch did.
Candace could learn a lot from Catch.

Yes, she has been and it was discussed as recently as the last game. The only player in the history of the game to rank in the top of 5 major categories. The 6th player in the history of the game to get a triple double. The only player in the history of the game to be ROY and MVP the same year. One of few players to have multiple MVPs.
How does an accomplishment in her college years have disrespect towards a national team? That makes no sense
DT is not the GOAT, regardless how much UConn folks say it. She doesn't possess a dominating impact on both ends of the court. So no, it's not some fore gone conclusion. It's the conclusion you chose to draw. Best at getting techs, hands down.
DT could learn a lot from Catch. (there ya' go. All fixed!)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, she has been and it was discussed as recently as the last game. The only player in the history of the game to rank in the top of 5 major categories. The 6th player in the history of the game to get a triple double. The only player in the history of the game to be ROY and MVP the same year. One of few players to have multiple MVPs.
How does an accomplishment in her college years have disrespect towards a national team? That makes no sense
DT is not the GOAT, regardless how much UConn folks say it. She doesn't possess a dominating impact on both ends of the court. So no, it's not some fore gone conclusion. It's the conclusion you chose to draw. Best at getting techs, hands down.
DT could learn a lot from Catch. (there ya' go. All fixed!)
18o2c3.jpg

Reaction Score
Hanging with Stewie:

“Hey, Stewie! Good to see you! What’s new since May 2016?”

“Hey, Lou! Dunno. Went to Seattle and ate some good salmon, was Rookie of the Year and made All-WNBA. Went to Rio, had some Brazilian Steak, and won an Olympic gold medal. Went to China and had some great Dim Sum. How did that trip to Dallas go?”

Ouch!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom