Layshia
Jewell
KMac
Morgan

Wilson is #24 on the grey squad.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Aja Wilson looks really good against pro bigs. I might dare and say that she makes the team.
A'Ja is playing well, but I'm not sure well enough to make the team. Who are you going to leave off this squad, Griner, Neka, Big Syl, EDD, Stewie,Tina?
Sue Bird still got it! The gap between her and other USA point guards is growing not shrinking.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A'Ja is playing well, but I'm not sure well enough to make the team. Who are you going to leave off this squad, Griner, Neka, Big Syl, EDD, Stewie,Tina?
Sue Bird still got it! The gap between her and other USA point guards is growing not shrinking.
Sue is still a superlative player. The smartest player out there and the best leader.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coco, thanks for the link to the page with numbers. A few thoughts:

There are 17 players there, so it's 8 vs. 9. Not a lot of rest.

This group looks pretty good, not great. Among those missing: Parker, Ogwumike, Gray, Charles, Griner, Taurasi, Moore, Augustus, Whalen, and Fowles. That's a full team of talent not there.

It's interesting watching Huskies vs. each other and Skylar vs. Jewell and KMac.

I thought the play was a bit ragged, not surprising considering the newbies.

I'm becoming more of a Skylar fan. Her dribble penetration and ability to get to the FT line are outstanding. I'd like to see her improve her jump shot, though. Sky is almost always under control when she penetrates. Tiff, in contrast, is faster and more explosive, but not always under control.

A'ja is BIG, both tall and bulky. I didn't recognize her until I got the numbers. She looks 28 years old.

Lou on Courtney was a mismatch. Courtney is the most athletic person there.

Stewie is the most versatile player there, by a large margin.

Some plays to observe:

1:05 pass from Sue to A'ja

1:12 three-pointer from Stewie

4:30 Sue and Stewie run into each other. Not good for the USA or Seattle.

7:30 nice cut to the basket by Stokes and pass from Durr

8:40 nice pass from Tuck to Lou

9:40 Lou goes the length of the floor

11:35 nice pass from Sue to Stef

13:50 great pass from Sue to A'ja

15:45 Sue moves without the ball, gets the pass, and drains the three

16:40 nice pass from Skylar to Stewie

I thought Tuck looked ok. She doesn't elevate well, but she has a nice repertoire and is a smart player.

Tiff didn't do much, but her drives put pressure on the defense.

Pheesa started slowly, then got in the groove. Same for Lou.

Stef moved well and has become a solid jump shooter.

Kiah rebounded and called for the ball on a nice cut to the hoop.

Sue was in control, as usual. She sees the floor better than anyone.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Sue is still a superlative player. The smartest player out there and the best leader.

Dawn said in an interview recently that if Sue is healthy and ready to go then she'll be on the team in 2020. Likely the same sentiment for Taurasi.

I think it's really up to what the players want. Some are indispensable. I do still think we need to have somebody underneath Sue's wings for the future though.. USA is well stocked at the Center/PF/SF spots going forward. It's the point guard spot that concerns me most.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dawn said in an interview recently that if Sue is healthy and ready to go then she'll be on the team in 2020. Likely the same sentiment for Taurasi.

I think it's really up to what the players want. Some are indispensable. I do still think we need to have somebody underneath Sue's wings for the future though.. USA is well stocked at the Center/PF/SF spots going forward. It's the point guard spot that concerns me most.
I saw the quote in which Dawn said that Sue and Diana could be the first to win 5 Olympic golds. They are the WNBA career leaders in assists and points, respectively. They are arguably the best point guard ever and the best player ever. Anyone else would be a drop-off. Sue had a very good season. I have no reason to doubt that she can play for the USA in 2018. Can she stay healthy and fit for 3 more years? That's more of a stretch than 1 year, but we'll see. Even if she's a bench player, she's a huge asset as a leader.

I liked what I saw from Skylar this season and in the scrimmage video. I'd like to see more of a pass-first approach and a little better shoring, but I think she's moving up the pecking order. Odyssey, who made the 2014 team in Istanbul, is playing well for Los Angeles. I think that Moriah brings things that no one else does, but she needs to get 100% healthy first and then star in the WNBA. In my opinion, her injury this year reduced her chances for the 2018 team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lol! You have to be careful putting that out there, people might read that as Dawn is picking the team now. :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I saw the quote in which Dawn said that Sue and Diana could be the first to win 5 Olympic golds. They are the WNBA career leaders in assists and points, respectively. They are arguably the best point guard ever and the best player ever. Anyone else would be a drop-off. Sue had a very good season. I have no reason to doubt that she can play for the USA in 2018. Can she stay healthy and fit for 3 more years? That's more of a stretch than 1 year, but we'll see. Even if she's a bench player, she's a huge asset as a leader. I liked what I saw from Skylar this season and in the scrimmage video. I'd like to see more of a pass-first approach and a little better shoring, but I think she's moving up the pecking order. Odyssey, who made the 2014 team in Istanbul, is playing well for Los Angeles. I think that Moriah brings things that no one else does, but she needs to get 100% healthy first and then star in the WNBA. In my opinion, her injury this year reduced her chances for the 2018 team.
Two other names that are in the USA PG mix Lindsay Whalen and Chelsea Gray. I'm also just a worried about the SG position for USA also. I though between Kmac, Jewel etc. someone would be further along. My thinking is that Angel and Lindsay might be primary or must have at 1&2 by the time 2020 Olympics roll around.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I liked what I saw from Skylar this season and in the scrimmage video. I'd like to see more of a pass-first approach and a little better shoring, but I think she's moving up the pecking order. Odyssey, who made the 2014 team in Istanbul, is playing well for Los Angeles. I think that Moriah brings things that no one else does, but she needs to get 100% healthy first and then star in the WNBA. In my opinion, her injury this year reduced her chances for the 2018 team.

I bet USA BB wishes Diggins played more than 34-35 games a year, including games in which she plays under duress and with the stakes higher. It's not just a matter of playing against international competition, which is certainly valuable, but it's about gaining experience making decisions under duress and in front of tough crowds. Thirty-four regular season WNBA games don't do that. Diggins has played in one playoff game since college.

I watched her play as much as I could during the past WNBA season and I paid particular attention to how and what she did during end-of-game situations. Her decision-making in those circumstances was not always good (some forced shots, turnovers).

We know EDD doesn't play overseas either but she has played in some WNBA playoff games, including the finals one year. EDD also doesn't play a position that requires a lot of decision-making with the ball.

Will the fact that Gray has played and done well in the WNBA playoffs and plays in the Euroleague give her an advantage over Diggins?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Two other names that are in the USA PG mix Lindsay Whalen and Chelsea Gray. I'm also just a worried about the SG position for USA also. I though between Kmac, Jewel etc. someone would be further along. My thinking is that Angel and Lindsay might be primary or must have at 1&2 by the time 2020 Olympics roll around.
I think there’s a bigger gap at PG than at SG, but I agree that the successor to Diana isn’t obvious. I think Lindsay and Seimone are near the end of their elite play. Maybe Angel is a SG, or maybe she’s a SF. Possibly Maya could be a SG.

KMac had to deal with an injury last season. Jewell had a great start to this season, but then cooled off. Shot slection is still an issue.

I like what Chelsea has added to the Sparks. Her shot is unorthodox, but accurate from great distance. She’s also a good passer.

I think Lou has a future as a SG or SF.

In terms of PGs, I forgot to mention Jasmine. She’s become a more solid player the past couple of years, as her shooting has improved.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I bet USA BB wishes Diggins played more than 34-35 games a year, including games in which she plays under duress and with the stakes higher. It's not just a matter of playing against international competition, which is certainly valuable, but it's about gaining experience making decisions under duress and in front of tough crowds. Thirty-four regular season WNBA games don't do that. Diggins has played in one playoff game since college.

I watched her play as much as I could during the past WNBA season and I paid particular attention to how and what she did during end-of-game situations. Her decision-making in those circumstances was not always good (some forced shots, turnovers).

We know EDD doesn't play overseas either but she has played in some WNBA playoff games, including the finals one year. EDD also doesn't play a position that requires a lot of decision-making with the ball.

Will the fact that Gray has played and done well in the WNBA playoffs and plays in the Euroleague give her an advantage over Diggins?
I forgot that Skylar didn’t play overseas. I wonder what her plans are for this year. Yes, playing abroad AND playing against foreign competition are important. Playing against Spain in front of a LOUD and HOSTILE crowd requires lots of preparation.

I agree that Sky turns the ball over and forces shots too much, but she seemed better than I remembered. I’ve never been a fan, but I see improvement

Reaction Score
I forgot that Skylar didn’t play overseas. I wonder what her plans are for this year. Yes, playing abroad AND playing against foreign competition are important. Playing against Spain in front of a LOUD and HOSTILE crowd requires lots of preparation.

I agree that Sky turns the ball over and forces shots too much, but she seemed better than I remembered. I’ve never been a fan, but I see improvement

I remember reading a quote from Diggins saying she was planning on playing in China during the winter season, but then she tore her ACL that summer. Although the competition in China is weak, so you could argue that wouldn't have much to do with decision making under duress. Anyway, my real point, coming around to it quite slowly, was maybe she is considering China again? Or maybe not, being a newlywed.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Did anybody study the players' number list? They have Napheesa weighing 183 and Lou 165. How is that possible?

Reaction Score
Did anybody study the players' number list? They have Napheesa weighing 183 and Lou 165. How is that possible?
That sounds about right - these are big girls. And Pheesa looks considerably more jacked than Lou. Not sure I believe Wilson's 197.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom