OT: - USA vs France Mens BB SPOILER | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: USA vs France Mens BB SPOILER

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Am watching the NBC replay now.
At half, US lead 45 - 37 by 8 pts. How can we end by losing 7 pts? Wow ...
They were up 7 with under 4 minutes left and them were outscored 16-2.

Reaction Score
We knew coming in the rest of the world has caught up with a US All Star team without any real preparation and little recovery from a tough season. But I am surprised at such a low score. I would have thought Durant and Lillard would have 76 by themselves.
The worlds best players played for the Olympic basketball teams not USA. Our star USA multi-millionaire players couldn’t play for the country that made them wealthy, one. Also they are not used to being actually guarded and are not used to playing defense either. Shame on not the Olympic team players but on the ones that should have been there.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Yes team play is the key.

Look Brooklyn Net they have 3 super stars, Kevin Durant (40M salary), James Harden (41M) and Kyrie Irvine (31.7M) but still cannot even enter the NBA conference final.
I hate super teams as much as the next guy but two of those had injuries. Kyrie never returned and Harden had zero explosion.

Reaction Score
Not an embarrassment at all. This is far from the best team they could have sent.
My point , exactly not even close best team. Self serving millionaires with no country pride in the country that made them millionaires

Reaction Score
I said this in the general basketball thread and I'll say it here: They don't play defense in the NBA so no one should be surprised that they can't play it in international competition.

14 unanswered points??? Yeah that is a disgrace and an embarassment.

Reaction Score
SAITAMA, Japan -- Team USA's invincibility in men's basketball is long gone, and the journey to a fourth consecutive gold medal is already fraught with adversity.

France gut-punched the Americans with a brilliant finish for a 83-76 victory to open the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday. It snapped a 25-game Olympic winning streak dating back to 2004 for Team USA.

The final blow came when Evan Fournier drilled a 3-pointer with a minute to play to give the French the lead for good, completing its comeback after the U.S. had a six-point lead with four minutes to play. It was the biggest of his 28 points in one of the finest games he has played in his career.

Sorry, but I don't bother following the NBA, and haven't for years. Just too boring, too little "team" play, too much standing around while one player throws up a shot. Is that the style of basketball that resulted in the loss to France?

Is this the best group of American NBA players there is? Or is this the B Team, or C Team?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I don't bother following the NBA, and haven't for years. Just too boring, too little "team" play, too much standing around while one player throws up a shot. Is that the style of basketball that resulted in the loss to France?

Is this the best group of American NBA players there is? Or is this the B Team, or C Team?
I would say a B- team on talent.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the team lacks talent as much as it does experience.

Only Durant and Draymond are returning players, everyone else is new and young.

The international game is very different than the NBA and they just don’t know the style yet.

There is a lot of talent though, it’s just whether they can come together or not.

that said, for me..they need some chemistry, and part of that is figuring out the players that offer more than scoring because every player getting minutes outside of Draymond can score.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Team USA MBB just looks out of rhythm. Lacking that flow and chemistry. This is just a badly put together team. Nothing against the rest of the World teams.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don’t think the team lacks talent as much as it does experience.

Only Durant and Draymond are returning players, everyone else is new and young.

The international game is very different than the NBA and they just don’t know the style yet.

There is a lot of talent though, it’s just whether they can come together or not.

that said, for me..they need some chemistry, and part of that is figuring out the players that offer more than scoring because every player getting minutes outside of Draymond can score.
All of this.

The travails of the USMNT should serve as a cautionary tale for those who try to treat the Olympics like a McDonald's all-star game. Or for those who think that USA Basketball could select any 5 WNBA players at random and just let them roll the ball out onto the floor, have at it, and win a gold medal.

Reaction Score
All of this.

The travails of the USMNT should serve as a cautionary tale for those who try to treat the Olympics like a McDonald's all-star game. Or for those who think that USA Basketball could select any 5 WNBA players at random and just let them roll the ball out onto the floor, have at it, and win a gold medal.
Having a college coach as Head coach is better for these type of teams. Multiple offenses and defenses are more prevalent in college. So college coaches make more adjustments.

Reaction Score
Having a college coach as Head coach is better for these type of teams. Multiple offenses and defenses are more prevalent in college. So college coaches make more adjustments.

Yes, other nations don't. Emma Meeseman took off the entire WNBA season to train with Belgium.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
durant.jpg

embarrassment :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

:D “Haters gonna hate, ballers gonna ball…”. On paper, they were not the best team that could be assembled this year, but they rolled with who wanted to play and they brought home the GOLD. This is not rec. ball. Team chemistry is real. Just because most of France players don’t play in the NBA doesn’t mean that they are not professionals or some of the best in the world. Kudos to France!

Reaction Score
Well it’s a good thing KD didn’t opt out. France was good, a hard earned gold for the US actually made it more fun to watch.

Reaction Score
USA on offense is not going to play to be able to play anything other than NBA style ball with NBA players which means a heavy emphasis on one on one and first open shot that shows approaches. That does not mean the ball wasn’t shared or there was an overwhelming number of bad shots, neither of those things were prevalent.
The effort on D was definitely there; France was well coached and certainly took advantage of the USA strategy of switching on virtually every pick and player crossings.
All in all a very competitive game between two good teams with contrasting styles.

Reaction Score
I’m more embarrassed about the U.S. not winning a single gold in any of the Equestrian events. Horse pucky.

We need to adjust to the new reality. When the Olympics first allowed pros to compete, it was novel and exciting so the best signed up and we got the Dream Team. Those days are gone. Many Multi millionaires finish the NBA season and have no interest in prolonging it. Their yachts are at the Marina and their tee times are scheduled. For me, it’s a big “who cares”. If you like watching Olympic hoops, enjoy the competitive games. If you would rather watch your team destroy lesser opponents, you’re only 4 months away from the UCONN Women’s Big East schedule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom