OT: - USA vs France Mens BB SPOILER | The Boneyard

OT: USA vs France Mens BB SPOILER

Reaction Score
USA loses 83-76. Total embarrassment. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SAITAMA, Japan -- Team USA's invincibility in men's basketball is long gone, and the journey to a fourth consecutive gold medal is already fraught with adversity.

France gut-punched the Americans with a brilliant finish for a 83-76 victory to open the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday. It snapped a 25-game Olympic winning streak dating back to 2004 for Team USA.

The final blow came when Evan Fournier drilled a 3-pointer with a minute to play to give the French the lead for good, completing its comeback after the U.S. had a six-point lead with four minutes to play. It was the biggest of his 28 points in one of the finest games he has played in his career.

Reaction Score
Yes team play is the key.

Look Brooklyn Net they have 3 super stars, Kevin Durant (40M salary), James Harden (41M) and Kyrie Irvine (31.7M) but still cannot even enter the NBA conference final.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yes team play is the key.

Look Brooklyn Net they have 3 super stars, Kevin Durant (40M salary), James Harden (41M) and Kyrie Irvine (31.7M) but still cannot even enter the NBA playoff.

What are you talking about? The Nets made the 2nd round of the Playoffs.... and if Kevin Durant wears a size 16 shoe... they would have knocked off the Bucks to advance to the conference final. They definitely would have been favored to beat the Hawks to advance to the NBA Finals. Not sure you realize that Hardin and Irving were both injured in that series with the Bucks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tell me which 2 teams are in the NBA conference final?

I don't care Kevin Durant wears a size 16 or size 26 shoes. Injury is not an excuse. Which team does not have injury players? To win the title is the fact.

Ok, whatever you say.

Reaction Score
Not an embarrassment at all. This is far from the best team they could have sent.

Nope it’s an embarrassment, KD and Lillard play well the US wins, Jrue Holliday showed up less then a week after winning a championship and has no where near the talent of the other star players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We knew coming in the rest of the world has caught up with a US All Star team without any real preparation and little recovery from a tough season. But I am surprised at such a low score. I would have thought Durant and Lillard would have 76 by themselves.

Reaction Score
Not an embarrassment at all. This is far from the best team they could have sent.
Every player on the team is in the NBA. These are elite professionals even though they’re not all super stars.

Reaction Score
Nope it’s an embarrassment, KD and Lillard play well the US wins, Jrue Holliday showed up less then a week after winning a championship and has no where near the talent of the other star players.
Who plays well every game? I think there's a certain arrogance that the average NBA player is many miles apart from these European/Asian/etc. professionals. Many of the current NBA elite...aren't Americans. The US should win, but that's no longer a guarantee. More exciting if you ask me. I expect many surprises to take the medal stand with all this covid stuff...in more than basketball. This doesn't even have the feel of the Olympics.

Reaction Score
It appears a lot of the USA athletes are there more to promote their own brand as opposed to representing their country out of national pride. They also seem to think they can just show up and win. Not a good formula for success.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It appears a lot of the USA athletes are there more to promote their own brand as opposed to representing their country out of national pride. They also seen.to think they can just show up and win. Not a good formula for success.
That's why NIL scares me...even though it was the right thing to do. No good deed goes unpunished.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When a team gets outplayed and out hustled like that, you have to ask if the coach had them prepared. I guess the obvious answer in this case is a no.
Apparently Popovich does not feel the need to hold his players accountable while trying to cover his posterior. Fine to say the other teams are good but when will he say our guys are underperforming

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I agree that it's not the best team the US could have sent, but it's still pretty darn good. Why some better players chose not to go, I don't know. But it's the team we've got representing us in Japan.
And I read there were some other issues, like a couple of late arrivals.
It sucks that they lost – I'd prefer them to be bad for International Basketball.
That said, we will now see what kind of people/players/teammates/coaches are there.
Will this game inspire and light a fire or will we see more of the same of simply being outplayed at times.
I've got to hope it's the first. I'm rooting for them to pull their shorts up a little higher and kick ass.

Reaction Score
Right some not all.
I believe all their starters played in the NBA or currently play. My point is...they aren't scrubs. I won't second guess POP, but that starting lineup has me baffled. I don't coach, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. lol

Reaction Score
I believe all their starters played in the NBA or currently play. My point is...they aren't scrubs. I won't second guess POP, but that starting lineup has me baffled. I don't coach, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. lol
Really believe going from College coaches to having a NBA coach was a mistake. College coaches have no allegiance except to win. An NBA coach doesn't have quite the same reasoning.

Reaction Score
Am watching the NBC replay now.
At half, US lead 45 - 37 by 8 pts. How can we end by losing 7 pts? Wow ...

Reaction Score
This is what happens when you beat down on someone for years. USA was 6-0 over France in Olympic play. France, and most countries, have a great deal of pride for the uniform they are wearing. Other countries are catching up. Are the US players playing for the right reasons?

We could see the same thing happen on the women's side Australia, Boom. Hopefully, "we have Diana Taurasi and you don't" will come into play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom