USA U-18 team wins gold, Napheesa Collier outplays Wilson & Turner... | The Boneyard

USA U-18 team wins gold, Napheesa Collier outplays Wilson & Turner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
collier.JPG

The USA U-18 Women's Basketball team cruised to a 5-0 record and Gold Metal in the FIBA Americas tournament held in Colorado Springs. The average margin of victory was almost 45 points per game as the USA dominated every game w/ a starting lineup featuring the #1, #2, #4 and #8 prospects from this year's High School class. The fifth starter, beside A'ja Wilson (South Carolina), Brianna Turner (Notre Dame), Ariel Atkins (Texas) and Recee Caldwell (UCLA) was Napheesa Collier, who has verbally committed to playing for some small school in Connecticut. ;)

IMO, Napheesa, a junior in high school but the same age as Wilson & Turner, played a more well rounded game than either Wilson, who won the Tournament MOP award, or Turner. The top two prospects in the country played well, but Collier played better. Consider the following:
1. Napheesa played the most minutes (111) of any player on the team. Her versatility at playing either guard or forward allowed USA Coach Dawn Staley to keep her on the floor for over 22 minutes a game.
2. Despite starting at forward, Collier led the USA team in 3 point field goal accuracy. She went 5-9 for 55%. The next best shooter made 41% of her 3's. Neither Wilson nor Turner tried a 3 pt shot. :rolleyes:
3. Napheesa led the team in rebounding, gathering in 43 boards, including an amazing 23 at the offensive end. Her 23 offensive boards were more than Wilson & Turner combined (22).
4. Collier had 17 assists, the most of any forward and more than Wilson & Turner combined (10). And her 8 steals were also more than Wilson & Turner together (7).
5. Napheesa was 2nd in overall scoring (70 pts) to Wilson (95), 2nd in made baskets (31) and 3rd in blocked shots (5), behind both Wilson (10) & Turner (6).

Wilson and Turner played very well for Team USA. But, Napheesa Collier was more versatile, better balanced and exceeded both in rebounding, assists, steals and 3 pt shooting.
Can't wait to see her play at UConn..!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Napheesa's 3-pt shot, like the rest of her game, looked really smooth, and that's really unfair. She's so good at everything from 15-feet on in that the 3 doesn't need to be a part of her arsenal at all. And in fact, she rarely took them in HS or in the AAU games I've seen her play.

I came away from the U-18's with the same thought I had a few weeks ago: Collier is probably the #1 recruit for '15. A case can easily be made that UConn is getting the first and second or first and third players in the class depending on where you slot KLS.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The 2015-16 roster, barring any unexpected attrition:

Breanna Stewart
Moriah Jefferson
Morgan Tuck
Kia Nurse
Sadie Edwards
Gabby Williams
Courtney Eckmark
Katie Lou Samuelson
De'Janae Boykin
Napheesa COllier
Saniya Chong

Somewhere, Maya Moore is thinking about what/who was surrounding her in her senior season at UConn versus what Breanna will have...and she's green with envy. :)

Reaction Score

Breanna Stewart
Moriah Jefferson
Morgan Tuck
Kia Nurse
Sadie Edwards
Gabby Williams
Courtney Eckmark
Katie Lou Samuelson
De'Janae Boykin
Napheesa COllier
Saniya Chong

Somewhere, Maya Moore is thinking about what/who was surrounding her in her senior season at UConn versus what Breanna will have...and she's green with envy. :)

If this list isn't scary enough, you forgot Natalie Butler. :p

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One of the most potent (if not the most potent) rosters of all time.
In the past, I have occasionally been accused of being negative.
And my reply has always been, I call em like I see em.
But I don't think it's possible for anyone to have anything but the best of good feelings,
as we now anticipate some amazing BB over the next few years and deep into the future.
I wound not be surprised to see this FIBA under 18
closely resemble the next 3 or 4 years final-4 from the perspective of UConn domination.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
However, I am sure there will be teams actually playing some defense and offering up some competition in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I imagine Turner and Wilson had different instructions from the coaching staff than Napheesa did...particularly on firing up 3's...but I bet if you asked either of them who they like on the floor with them, Napheesa would be their top choice, just as she's mine...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Your arguments are very well made. Yet for all that, Wilson won tournament MVP. I guess points usually are the ultimate decider of these things. I suspect we will be playing this game (Turner vs. Wilson vs. Collier) for a while.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

Breanna Stewart
Moriah Jefferson
Morgan Tuck
Kia Nurse
Sadie Edwards
Gabby Williams
Courtney Ekmark
Natalie Butler
Katie Lou Samuelson
De'Janae Boykin
Napheesa COllier
Saniya Chong

"Somewhere, Maya Moore is thinking about what/who was surrounding her in her senior season at UConn versus what Breanna will have...and she's green (more likely BLUE!) with envy. :)"

Reaction Score
Your arguments are very well made. Yet for all that, Wilson won tournament MVP. I guess points usually are the ultimate decider of these things. I suspect we will be playing this game (Turner vs. Wilson vs. Collier) for a while.
Most likely at the Final Four...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I was quite impressed with Wilson. She looks like she can score almost at will and she made more short, post-up type shots than I would've expected. She also runs the floor incredibly well for someone so big. She's probably gonna put up big scoring and rebounding numbers at SC. I like Turner's game a lot too.

As for comparisons, I'd take all three but I think I like Collier's game the most overall. That's not a pro-Husky thing either. I live in St. Louis and got to see her in HS. She was my #1 target for UConn's '15 class for various reasons. She does everything at least well, some things extremely well, and has no weaknesses that I can see. She's even smoothed out her FT technique and made it better.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Now we all know why Geno would use a precious off day in midseason to take a plane to St. Louis and drive to some high school gym to watch this girl play (then make the return trip to Connecticut with visions of sugar plums dancing in his head).

He obviously wanted her.

Really, really wanted her.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Al these players have great attributes, this tournament gives very little in terms of what a player is capable of, but does show a number of deficiencies in all the players including Collier but I guess it depends on what color glasses you are wearing.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Al these players have great attributes, this tournament gives very little in terms of what a player is capable of, but does show a number of deficiencies in all the players including Collier but I guess it depends on what color glasses you are wearing.

What deficiencies in Collier did you see in the tourney?

Reaction Score
Please do tell what are the "deficiencies" of Collier because I have been around this game for a long time and it may be my "colored glasses" but she is the most complete and college ready player I have seen in a long long time.

Reaction Score
Please do tell what are the "deficiencies" of Collier because I have been around this game for a long time and it may be my "colored glasses" but she is the most complete and college ready player I have seen in a long long time.
Her moves with her back to the basket lack the confidence in the rest of her game...;)

Reaction Score
I love Colliers game as she indeed was in my eyes the most versatile player and got a great mid- range shot, an amazing feel for rebounding, can pass and shoot the 3 and clearly is a team player. She'll be great at UConn! That said, the one part of her game (which i think almost all high school players need to improve on) which i found lacking was defense. It happened few times during the games were an opposing players dribbled penetrated pass her and her closing on 3 point shooters was a bit slow. I'm sure she'll become a much much better defender at UConn!

Reaction Score

Breanna Stewart
Moriah Jefferson
Morgan Tuck
Kia Nurse
Sadie Edwards
Gabby Williams
Courtney Eckmark
Katie Lou Samuelson
De'Janae Boykin
Napheesa COllier
Saniya Chong

You are sooooo, sooooo right! Were Maya to have had that kind of lineup supporting her, four titles would have been a guarantee!!! I have stated that noting Napheesa's size and skill level, I think there may be comparisons to Ms. Moore herself. I can't say I've seen a lot of Ms. Collier except on a couple of Youtube clips but comparisons seem to be valid, considering how she filled the stats sheet for the USA U18 team. Can you imagine the second coming of Maya???? With the type of teammates she's going to have. Great to be a Huskie fan, isn't it!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That said, the one part of her game (which i think almost all high school players need to improve on) which i found lacking was defense. It happened few times during the games were an opposing players dribbled penetrated pass her and her closing on 3 point shooters was a bit slow. I'm sure she'll become a much much better defender at UConn!

She got beat a few times but I suspect if you watch each player every play of the game like we did with her you'd see that's pretty normal. I have found her to be a good defender when watching her in the past with traits---feet, agility, athleticism, smarts, length---to be way above average.

Kenny Kallina, who basically scouts and works with high school players, saw her late last year when Incarnate Word came to Florida. Here is one of his tweets:

Kenny Kallina ‏@KennyKallina 12h

Napheesa Collier 1) Fantastic Defender 2) Quick hands on both ends 3) High IQ - Changes the game by more than scoring

Reaction Score
I just watched the game. Holy Cow!

A smooth and effortless 3-point shot and when a player came up to challenge, Collier dribbled past her for a lay up. She seemed comfortable dribbling with either hand. She was always moving, and with a purpose, on offense and defense. She has really long legs and takes long, smooth strides, so she covers a lot ground (as Geno would say) very, very, very quickly and with an ease and grace that belied her speed.

She took the ball down court several times, very , and showed passing skills.

She has very quick hands on defense and repeatedly challenged the opposing guards, causing at least two turnovers. As was mentioned, she fell for a couple of fakes, but so did Maya at the same age, and for the same reason (really fast reaction time.) She will fix that. Unlike Maya, she draws fouls, and like Maya, she drains them.

She is very comfortable and confident on offense. She received the ball well and was always ready to shoot, and did so without hesitation.

Olde Coach would have loved her game and would have written a wonderfully detailed analysis.

The 2015-2016 team has a chance of being the best starting five of all time. But it will, without the shadow of a doubt, be the best team top to bottom, the best 12 players on any team, of all time.

Reaction Score
I meant to say that she took the ball down court several times, very quickly.
It would be interesting to watch Collier and Jefferson running side-by-side. When Mariah runs, she looks fast. Collier would be covering the same distance with little apparent effort.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It would be interesting to watch Collier and Jefferson running side-by-side. When Mariah runs, she looks fast. Collier would be covering the same distance with little apparent effort.

It's fun just watching Collier glide up and down the floor. She runs track in HS and it shows.

I think the 15-16 roster might end up with as much talent on it as any team ever. Maybe the only thing that could keep it from the top is the fact that so much of the talent will be underclassmen. UConn will have eight of those, all of whom will presumably be even better two years later. Don't think they'll top the '13-'14 team in terms of the starting unit, but they might be able to make two top-10 teams out of the roster.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
One of the most potent (if not the most potent) rosters of all time.
In the past, I have occasionally been accused of being negative.
And my reply has always been, I call em like I see em.
But I don't think it's possible for anyone to have anything but the best of good feelings,
as we now anticipate some amazing BB over the next few years and deep into the future.
I wound not be surprised to see this FIBA under 18
closely resemble the next 3 or 4 years final-4 from the perspective of UConn domination.
back to back championships (Dolson, Hartley & Faris) and you were feeling that way... 8 of the 12 (Butler included) havent even played a college game and you're comfortable?

glad to see after years of doubt you've finally came around

Reaction Score
Now we know why the coaching staff was ecstatic when Collier gave her verbal to them before she left on the weekend of her official visit this Spring. Nice way to get the ball rolling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom