USA U-18 Playing Now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA U-18 Playing Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the most part, I agree. But Tuck and certainly Stewart have played with terrific college players (E. Williams, Hartley, Dolson) and in Stewarts case, was probably the best player.

I think we all know how she will do in college.

I'll wait until I see Breanna break a sweat in one of these games, before I start judging her play...if ever...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Breanna Mackenzie Stewart finishes with 17 points, 12 boards, and 3 assists. Nice game from Mac!

ladybears4eva

Lady Bears Fan
Reaction Score
watching all these U18 teams play... i still think the College game is much tougher to defend and score on. We all have to wait and see before we dub any freshman-to-be as an All-American.

Reaction Score
Yikes. When I read on the front page of this thread that "Tucker went down with a knee injury" I didn't read the er in Tucker until the end of page 2. Between the 1st and 2nd page I think I got queasy thinking it was TUCK.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
watching all these U18 teams play... i still think the College game is much tougher to defend and score on. We all have to wait and see before we dub any freshman-to-be as an All-American.
Did I say all American? Except for a few college teams, I dont know how much tougher defenses she will face than the pan am opponents.

Reaction Score
U18 squad is down to 9 players. Gray lost to acl/mcl injury. Sykes has withdrawn for personal reasons per blog.syracuse.com (sorry don't know how to link). Per Mabrey tweet Tucker is gone with acl issue also (hope tweet mention is ok).

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
As soon as I heard jump stop and she pulled up, that's what I thought. That's exactly how I tore mine.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Word is Tucker tore her ACL, that would make the 3rd or 4th player lost by injury or other reason.

Man that SUCKS. I also was unnerved when they said it might have happened on a jump-stop, non-contact.

Best wishes for Jannah to get the best rehab and the fullest recovery possible so she can hit the ground running next season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The lack of depth shouldn't be too big an issue in this competition - this team looks to be far superior to the others. This also explains why Stewart seemed to be played out of position. She has spent a lot of time on the wings both offensively and defensively which was a little frustrating for me watching. She can do it well, but against these teams she should be able to dominate from the free throw line in.
I have not been that impressed with the post players so far (Cooper, Agee)
Have liked Prince's game and Graves'
Tuck and Stewart are playing great
Jefferson has been very good
Mabrey - bit of a quick trigger, but has played very well.
Brown had a dreadful game yesterday, didn't notice in the first game.

Reaction Score
Not understanding why Gray and Sykes weren't replaced by anyone. Now the team is down to 9 (not like it matters). And does anyone know why Stewart isn't starting and didn't even play until the 2nd half of game 1 against DR? Is she injured?

Reaction Score
Not understanding why Gray and Sykes weren't replaced by anyone. Now the team is down to 9 (not like it matters). And does anyone know why Stewart isn't starting and didn't even play until the 2nd half of game 1 against DR? Is she injured?

I may just be turning into a Breanna Stewart admirer (oh yeah!)...but my feeling is the coaches think everyone can use the work except her...her body language isn't betraying any concerns...

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I agree. I wish the term would get edited out on this board and maybe people here would get the message.

Nothing like p1ssing off your own players, huh?
Plus it sounds stupid.
Well it's not all that clear that it is offensive in any way and it's not all that clear that it isn't a name that is used with her very commonly.

From her USA basketball site in her personal notes section....

Personal Notes
  • Born on Aug. 27, 1994 in Syracuse, N.Y., and goes by the nicknames of “Bre,” “6-10” and “Stewie.”
  • Daughter of Heather and Brian Stewart; has one brother, Conor.
  • Aunt Casey Villarreal is in the U.S. Army Reserves.
  • Is a scholar athlete and member of her school's honor roll, as well as the recipient of the Outstanding Character Award.
  • Has volunteered locally on behalf of the Ronald McDonald House, the March of Dimes, the North Syracuse Optimist Girls Basketball Program and a youth literacy-outreach program.
  • Started playing basketball in the second or third grade.
  • Tweets under the handle: bre_stewart30

Reaction Score
Well it's not all that clear that it is offensive in any way and it's not all that clear that it isn't a name that is used with her very commonly.

Personal Notes
  • Born on Aug. 27, 1994 in Syracuse, N.Y., and goes by the nicknames of “Bre,” “6-10” and “Stewie.”
  • Is a scholar athlete and member of her school's honor roll, as well as the recipient of the Outstanding Character Award.
  • Has volunteered locally on behalf of the Ronald McDonald House, the March of Dimes, the North Syracuse Optimist Girls Basketball Program and a youth literacy-outreach program.

Biff...Breanna did an interview where they asked her what the UCONN girls called her and she reluctantly replied "Stewie"...when asked who gave her that name she said Stephanie Dolson in a rather plaintive voice. I could be wrong, but my takeaway is that she was resigned perhaps but not pleased.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
If I were resigned and not pleased about a nickname, the firstbthing I'd do is ask Caroline Williams to include it in the USA media notes...

Reaction Score
If I were resigned and not pleased about a nickname, the firstbthing I'd do is ask Caroline Williams to include it in the USA media notes...

She volunteered it in the interview, as well...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Personal Notes

She probably put it in her USA Basketball bio because some of her teammates call her "Stewie," (or "Stewy") including KML and Stef Dolson:

“Morgan is really great,’’ Dolson said. “She’s an amazing rebounder. We had her and Kelly Faris going at it and she’s good. She gave Kelly a run for her money. And Kelly’s a great rebounder. Morgan is doing a great job. She’s a great shooter.

“And Moriah is just the fastest little thing I’ve ever seen. She can dribble that ball through anything. And she’s a great passer too. Those two have been showing us a lot. I’m really excited for this year to come. I think we’re going to have a really great team, really great chemistry. And when Stewy gets here it’s going to be even better.’’

Mosqueda-Lewis, last season's high school player of the year and this year's Big East freshman of the year, has seen the playful side of Stewart.

"Stewie seems to think of herself as a supermodel," Mosqueda-Lewis said. "Whenever we took pictures, she'd put on sunglasses or a fedora and do the pose. We actually had a fashion show on the bus from Germany to France on the U17 to help keep ourselves occupied."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Biff...Breanna did an interview where they asked her what the UCONN girls called her and she reluctantly replied "Stewie"...when asked who gave her that name she said Stephanie Dolson in a rather plaintive voice. I could be wrong, but my takeaway is that she was resigned perhaps but not pleased.
As time goes on, everyone will see how deadpan she is interviews and not read so much into what she says.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree. I wish the term would get edited out on this board and maybe people here would get the message.

Nothing like p1ssing off your own players, huh?
I seriously doubt she would read this board, see someone call her Stewie and get pi$$ed off.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Someone said to me a long, long time ago. You don't get to choose nicknames they are given to you by friends and nemeses, all you can do is make them into a badge of honor.

The moment one complains about a nickname you all but guaratee its permanence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom