USA Today's Dan Wolken: UConn Expected To Retain Diaco | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USA Today's Dan Wolken: UConn Expected To Retain Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have read numerous posts as to why we cant fire Diaco because of the $$$$. Having been one of a very few thousand at the rent today, I think more money is to be lost of Diaco returns. If the administration did any marketing studies at the game today, my guess is average attendance next year is 20,000 or less if he returns. Im just one of many who probably will not renew season tickets if Diaco is still here.
I don't think I have ever left a football or basketball game early before today. Today the only reason I Stuck it out to the end of the third quarter was to watch the drum stint at the end of the third quarter. The team and the fans were lifeless.

We will NOT come close to 20,000 in attendance average next year!!!!!! PERIOD!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
One can still continue to try at their work while at the same time having lost the belief that what you are attempting to do will work. It's an emotional loss of faith. Some people use the phrase "quit on the coach" to describe it, but I don't think that most people mean that the kids are saying 'f#%k it'.

When you lose belief in the leaders, the battle is already lost...

Have you not seen my "I'm drunk and on Google" post, UCD? I'm just riffing at this point.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am sure most of you have figured out that UCONN knows that if it brings Diaco back, a big chunk of the season ticket base will vanish for good and that there will be a lot of transfers.

I think that we should understand that if UCONN brings Diaco back, it is sending a message to the fans.

Reaction Score
Needs to be asked why UConn agreed to a buyout it can't afford.

It was probably meant as a deterrent to keep him from being hired away, if you can believe that. Ironic situation huh?

Reaction Score
A
Let's figure this out. The guy has been here less than a year. When last we looked just before Benedict was hired, Diaco managed to squeeze the team into a crap bowl, but that was seen as a step forward from Pasqualoni. Now let's look at how decisions are made to shell out 5 million dollars. I guarantee you that it would not be up the AD alone at any school. And certainly not one with less than a year on the job.

Now, is it penny wise and pound foolish to not spend the 5 mill? That's a better question than to think Bendict has no balls. But it ain't gonna be up to him. On top of that, I'm not sure hiring Urban Meyer would get UConn into a power conference. If you and otters think Benedict doesn't understand what's going on and would not love to make a move, you have no clue. The school has a fundamental and hard question to answer. Don't spend the buy out, swallow the empty seats and pray that Knute Rockne takes over Diacos brain and makes a product that's at least entertaining if not a big winner. Or do the buy out and hope a new guy is successful. But blaming Benedict is ridiculous. He gets blamed for the next hire.

Oh look guys! The bleeding heart left wing women's hoops fan is here telling us stuff that he thinks we don't know. Go back to writing bad fiction Chomsky.

Reaction Score
UConn will literally get nothing from me until Coach Bob Fiasco is gone. It's that simple.

Reaction Score
I'll wait until Jan.1, It'll hurt recruiting but what the h*ll, I can see saving the $1.7(?) Mill.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
If Diaco's back I bet a good portion of season ticketholders won't be back.
Kill me for saying it, but I will be done. I mean, after what we have seen, how could anyone be optimistic at this point? The thought of his return makes me physically ill. But a least he will be able to continue to live a lifestyle that few of us could ever dream of. Give me a frigging break. My boss would have fired me after the Navy game for sheer incompetence.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
It will be important to the program that nobody renews next year. As long as they think they can milk the fan base and string this out with your money, they will.
I've already communicated to the AD that I will gladly buy season tickets and donate to the program the moment Bob Diaco is let go.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I am sure most of you have figured out that UCONN knows that if it brings Diaco back, a big chunk of the season ticket base will vanish for good and that there will be a lot of transfers.

I think that we should understand that if UCONN brings Diaco back, it is sending a message to the fans.

I stated the same a couple of weeks ago.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I've already communicated to the AD that I will gladly buy season tickets and donate to the program the moment Bob Diaco is let go.
I'm in.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I had season tickets for a decade, went to 4 bowl games and I just don't care anymore. Watched maybe a total of 30 minutes of Temple, BC and Tulane.

I literally just can't fathom how terrible we are and if Diaco is retained I will consider financially boycotting the program until he is fired.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I'm in.

Sadly, we're at a point where current season ticket holders not re-uping sends a stronger message. I fall into that group.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Sadly, we're at a point where current season ticket holders not re-uping sends a stronger message. I fall into that group.
And as was said...no one should re-up until the ultimate change is made. Give BD his walking papers and I will support the new regime. Keep him, and my Saturday's will look a lot different next fall. I always enjoyed high school football. This is the only way we can make ourselves heard.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
And as was said...no one should re-up until the ultimate change is made. Give BD his walking papers and I will support the new regime. Keep him, and my Saturday's will look a lot different next fall. I always enjoyed high school football. This is the only way we can make ourselves heard.

I learned a long time ago that it's more fun to respond to the last post in a thread than it is to read down from the first one.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I learned a long time ago that it's more fun to respond to the last post in a thread than it is to read down from the first one.
I'm not even sure what you mean...I read the other posts, I stated my position and you actually agreed with me and others. Don't renew unless changes are made. Big (BD) changes. What's the issue?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

A message that will consist of extending a big middle finger to us all.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A message that will consist of extending a big middle finger to us all.

I wouldn't interpret keeping Diaco as giving us the middle finger. I would interpret keeping Diaco as the university telling us that they can keep funding the football program for a while longer for the 20-30k fans that care about it, but that their hiring mistakes are our hiring mistakes, and there is not enough money to pay to correct them when they go bad. We are a mid major program now with mid-major resources, and we are going to start looking like one.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't interpret keeping Diaco as giving us the middle finger. I would interpret keeping Diaco as the university telling us that they can keep funding the football program for a while longer for the 20-30k fans that care about it, but that their hiring mistakes are our hiring mistakes, and there is not enough money to pay to correct them when they go bad. We are a mid major program now with mid-major resources, and we are going to start looking like one.
This is all well and good but if we are going to be a "mid-major" then we need to start having mid-major buyouts. This insanity of the cost is beyond stupid and is going to drown this program. Moving forward, unless a coach gets you to 9-2 for two straight years, they don't deserve any extension.

Reaction Score
How dare any of us blame the young men on this team. They may have finally given up on their coach but I'd never accuse a single one of them of "quitting".

Players win and lose games. They were certainly not helped by the lack of a competent football coaching staff, but they are the ones who didn't block and tackle at all the last month. I know it's easier to blame coaches because that can be fixed in one offseason, but that's not the reality.

Reaction Score
How can they not understand that the cost of prolonging this is greater than the cost of the buyout?
Please correct me if my thought process on this is sideways..........Fire him now = 5 million cost. Fire him after 1/17 = 3.4 million cost. Fire him following another season after 1/18 = 1.7 million cost. So if UConn retains him until 1/18 and we have another "disappointing" season and lost revenue from 1/17 thru 1/18 is more than 1.7 million, why doesn't UConn exercise the buyout option 1/17?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is all well and good but if we are going to be a "mid-major" then we need to start having mid-major buyouts. This insanity of the cost is beyond stupid and is going to drown this program. Moving forward, unless a coach gets you to 9-2 for two straight years, they don't deserve any extension.

I agree. If we are truly commiting to be a mid major forever, then why don't we pay the 5 million buyout and go out and hire a coach for $700k per year? If you give him a five year deal, that's 1 million less per year than Fiasco is getting, so at the end of five years you haven't spent any more money than you would have to retain him.

Of course for $700k you aren't getting anybody good unless you get really lucky, but that's OK if you're comfortable with mid major status forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom