USA Today's Dan Wolken: UConn Expected To Retain Diaco | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USA Today's Dan Wolken: UConn Expected To Retain Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I wouldn't interpret keeping Diaco as giving us the middle finger. I would interpret keeping Diaco as the university telling us that they can keep funding the football program for a while longer for the 20-30k fans that care about it, but that their hiring mistakes are our hiring mistakes, and there is not enough money to pay to correct them when they go bad. We are a mid major program now with mid-major resources, and we are going to start looking like one.
You stopped short of saying drop football. I admire your newfound restraint. Bravo.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I wouldn't interpret keeping Diaco as giving us the middle finger. I would interpret keeping Diaco as the university telling us that they can keep funding the football program for a while longer for the 20-30k fans that care about it, but that their hiring mistakes are our hiring mistakes, and there is not enough money to pay to correct them when they go bad. We are a mid major program now with mid-major resources, and we are going to start looking like one.
"start"?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Sadly, all those "mid-majors" are now better football programs.

Reaction Score
Sadly, all those "mid-majors" are now better football programs.
Remember in the buildup to FBS, scheduling a plethora of MAC opponents, & feeling that after the ramp up, playing MAC teams would be beneath us? Well, the table has turned, and it this point, even Oral Roberts might be favored if they were scheduled.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We lack booster power. If I was a billionaire, I would have bought him out after the Maine game.
If you were a billionaire, minimum wage would be $295,000 an hour, Diaco would be making $3.25 billion a year and his buyout would be $45 billion.

Reaction Score
I've been in a suite standing next to a university president during a tough football season (knowing from a couple players on the team that the coach had lost all respect and control), and in the middle of our conversation (about much more important things, with big boosters standing nearby) the president (who was born and raised in Asia) clammed up midsentence as he watched the opposition return a kickoff for a TD. All conversation stopped. His jaw clenched (I guess his buttcheeks did too), his back stiffened, he swallowed hard, and managed to utter the words "That is very unfortunate," and then I literally (yes, literally) saw thousands of virtual hundred dollar bills blowing through the top of his skull. No one said a word.

I don't know why university presidents get themselves in this predicament. Like gambling in Vegas. Don't go there unless you can afford to lose. It is quite a sight to see the so-called decision-makers look at the cards they've been dealt, knowing that soon, very soon, someone is going to call, and they are going to have to fold, and lose all the money they ante-d up.

Reaction Score
If Diaco is staying....gag....my Christmas gift to him will be.......

cffd.jpg

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Zero

This will be pretty accurate. I have a source inside the AD who is at every practice, and let's just say that the vitriol the fan base has for Diaco is not matched by the players. Maybe a couple of individual guys, but by and large there is not a team-wide feeling of animosity towards him.

FWIW this is coming from someone who has been with UConn for decades, not a Diaco frat buddy.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This will be pretty accurate. I have a source inside the AD who is at every practice, and let's just say that the vitriol the fan base has for Diaco is not matched by the players. Maybe a couple of individual guys, but by and large there is not a team-wide feeling of animosity towards him.

FWIW this is coming from someone who has been with UConn for decades, not a Diaco frat buddy.

This is very true...players don't hate BD the way fans do.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
What's really troubling is his reference to the contract. He's basically saying to everyone that you can't get rid of him, so nobody can tell him what to, most notably the AD and school administration. So you either pay him the buyout and he wins, or you allow him to continue doing things his way, and he wins. Either way, they've put him in a position where he wins no matter what, so he doesn't have to listen to anybody. It shows the depth of his arrogance and his total disdain for the fanbase and his superiors.

Reaction Score
To me it looks like everyone in the administration is saying its not my fault, its someone elses' fault for this dumpster fire. It would not surprise me if their are verbal fights within the administration in the coming weeks. Would love to see that.
There is absolutely no evidence this is going on. There is ample evidence everyone agrees Diaco needs to go but they can't fire him because the buyout is too large.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Keylon Dixon (2016 redshirt).
Yung@Iam_KeyDixVII5 mins ago
Have to stay patient, for Rome wasn't built in one day! #UConnNation #5yearplan

Oh good, now it's a 5 year plan. Next year is year 4. Does that mean we will get another 2014 season in 2017? If so, there is zero incentive to buy tickets.

Reaction Score
Oh good, now it's a 5 year plan. Next year is year 4. Does that mean we will get another 2014 season in 2017? If so, there is zero incentive to buy tickets.

C'mon D - get off the ledge. Maybe he's just talking personally - He red-shirted this year, he has 4 more years left to play. (5 year plan).

Reaction Score
If you were a billionaire, minimum wage would be $295,000 an hour, Diaco would be making $3.25 billion a year and his buyout would be $45 billion.
At that rate, I guess same applies to you! :p

Reaction Score
I am hope he is being sarcastic.

Reaction Score
Our leadership absolutely sucks. I'm physically ill over what they have done to the legacy of what Calhoun and Auriemma built. I'm done.
Ding ding ding....we have total clowns running UConn through and through. Each one has a bevy of problem inheritance excuses... they are all mentally stuck in neutral. They have no money but are spending like drunken sailors on facilities. Its all about buildings instead of building the school's national presence.

Reaction Score
Any given game can be won by either being better or being smarter. Being better and dumber by a wide margin is what we are stuck with.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Saw this in Forde's Yahoo article today (Forde-Yard Dash: Why LSU hired the wrong guy):

At Cincinnati (8) there could be a $900,000 reason why Tommy Tuberville hasn’t yet been pushed into retirement. A contract extension he agreed to earlier this year calls for a $2.4 million buyout before Dec. 7. On that date, the buyout drops to $1.5 million. At a non-power-five school, that’s not chump change.

This may have been covered before, but why is Diaco's buyout so high? This was a recent extension with no where near the buyout numbers that we have with Diaco. :mad:

Reaction Score
Saw this in Forde's Yahoo article today (Forde-Yard Dash: Why LSU hired the wrong guy):

This may have been covered before, but why is Diaco's buyout so high? This was a recent extension with no where near the buyout numbers that we have with Diaco. :mad:
The realistic chances of Tuberville leaving for another job were he to have a few great seasons at UC were very low given his age. Diaco in the same spot would be far more attractive to other schools since he has more prime years remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom