USA Today: XRM article | The Boneyard

USA Today: XRM article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"He’s a great recruiter and a man of God."

This speaks volumes of both Ollie as a recruiter and XRM as a person. I hope XRM come's here and I truly believe that Ollie is going to succeed here. Love quote's like this.

Reaction Score
Seems like an awfully nice kid - and not just because he says great things about Ollie and Uconn.

Even though he's said over and over again that he's making both visits and deciding on 10/13, Illini fans are convinced that XRM doesn't even make it out to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Seems like an awfully nice kid - and not just because he says great things about Ollie and Uconn.

Even though he's said over and over again that he's making both visits and deciding on 10/13, Illini fans are convinced that XRM doesn't even make it out to Storrs.

Illinois fans are that confidant?? I had thought it was between us and FSU really. Did I miss something?

Reaction Score
Illinois fans are that confidant?? I had thought it was between us and FSU really. Did I miss something?

Reading their scout board some of them are expecting a commitment during his visit.

Reaction Score

Their new coach has had some recruiting success recently, landing a couple of verbals and making the short list for a couple other kids, including XRM. It's hard to tell if they're just feeling good about the positive momentum or if they actually have some inside info.

Reaction Score
Not to nit pick but "Ollie, a longtime assistant to Calhoun, was named as his successor." 2-3 years??

Curiouser
Reaction Score
http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/calhouns-retirement-wont-deter-xavier-rathan-mayes

Rathan-Mayes said that while “most recruits” factor in where they’re playing, who they’re playing for carries more weight.
At this rate we're going to end up quoting the whole article, because it is all good for us imo, but I think what follows that quote is even better:

“I really like Connecticut’s tradition and what they stand for there,” Rathan-Mayes said. “But if coach Ollie would’ve left it probably would’ve been a different story for me because I don’t have a relationship with anyone else there as deep as I do with him.”
Rathan-Mayes will visit Illinois this weekend before heading to Connecticut the weekend of Sept. 29. He plans to announce his decision on Oct. 13.
“I’ll take both visits and go home to Canada and make a decision with my family,” he said. “I’ll base a lot of my decision on the relationship with the coaches and that’s why I’m still considering Connecticut. It’s all about who you bond with and I have bonds with these three schools.”

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yeah, there's the money quote: He straight up said that Ollie was more important to his recruitment than Calhoun.

Reaction Score
if its the coaches he cares about i really havent heard him praise about FSU's coach or Illinois's coach. Seems like Ollie is by far the closest coach to him. And his dad still lives in CT. That way his dad cant be that disappointed if he ultimately chooses UConn. I hope we get him. We just need a big also and im fine. I feel like everyone keeps forgetting Nolan. I think he will definitely help us this year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thinking about this some more, all of this really seems to beg what has now become the question: Is he willing to bet that Ollie gets renewed? Sure, he'd likely be released from a commitment with a change in head coach, as I believe is customary in these situations, but in that event it is likely that his other two choices will have moved on and no longer have a roster spot for him.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
If he's basing a lot of his decision on relationships with coaches like he said in the last paragraph I think he's almost as good as ours.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Here's another article on the Illini's chances on XRM.
-He says his main goal is to get to the next level. And the relationship with a coach is important when you do something wrong, you seek guidance. Or when you do something great, you get praise. UConn definitely one-up's Illinois in terms of producing pro's. ( UConn 11 current pro's vs. Illinois' 2.) Also XRM has expressed more gratitude and love towards our coaching staff than theirs.

Reaction Score
Everything he seems to be saying certainly points to UConn way more than Illini and FSU. Sounds like he should be heading to Storrs.

Reaction Score
He has said a lot of good things, but this is one where it's going to be very tough to get him to pull the trigger.

Reaction Score
Really trying to be optimistic on this. Have a good feeling. Things are starting to break our way and love having Ricky on the staff if true and getting XRM on board would be huge. Also if we don't get him I still think we will be getting other good players sooner than later so over time we should be in very good shape.

Reaction Score
The article didn't make me as hopeful as others on the board. I think that XRM is a very polished and polite kid who is going to say positive things about all 3 schools when he answers questions. My guess is we have a 1 in 3 chance of signing him. If our chances are greater than that, great.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The article didn't make me as hopeful as others on the board. I think that XRM is a very polished and polite kid who is going to say positive things about all 3 schools when he answers questions. My guess is we have a 1 in 3 chance of signing him. If our chances are greater than that, great.
Honestly, if I was an Illinois or Florida State fan, I'd be having the "Oh, !" feeling that I always feel when I see a kid's final two or three schools includes Kentucky....

caw

Reaction Score
Honestly, if I was an Illinois or Florida State fan, I'd be having the "Oh, !" feeling that I always feel when I see a kid's final two or three schools includes Kentucky....

Overall, Illinois fans seem to be very confident after receiving a verbal from Dunn. They are in love with Groce and believe he can deliver. The fact XRM's father played at FSU has them pretty confident. Ollie has most of UConn's fanbase confident. It's going to come down to the wire, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom