Reaction Score

Attachments

• american-athletic-projections.jpg
    american-athletic-projections.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 128

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Do they predict specific results? I assume they have us beating HC, ECU, and UVA?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looks like several sites have UConn pegged as a 3-win team.

If I could get an over/under where 4 wins gets me $$$$, I'd jump all over it.

I believe a large reason for the predictions WRT UConn is how uncompetitive the team was last year. It not only lost, it lost by big margins. I believe the margins of loss were more due to the team quitting on the coach than it was actual talent gap. This team was competitive for the first 3-4 games before the wheels came off.

4 wins isn't hard to predict.

Reaction Score

I believe a large reason for the predictions WRT UConn is how uncompetitive the team was last year. It not only lost, it lost by big margins. I believe the margins of loss were more due to the team quitting on the coach than it was actual talent gap. This team was competitive for the first 3-4 games before the wheels came off.

You never know, but I have a hard time believing we don't win at least 4 games. I don't gamble but it'd be stupid to take the under if the line was 3.5

Reaction Score
You never know, but I have a hard time believing we don't win at least 4 games. I don't gamble but it'd be stupid to take the under if the line was 3.5
The over-under should be set at 4. I agree that if it is at 3, then the over is a nice bet.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm guessing they don't spend a ton of time parsing the schedule of the team's ranked I triple digits.

3 wins last year, no QB, new system, typical low ranked recruiting, losses to the NFL/grad, meh, Edsall will keep them at 3 wins.

And I doubt it was that extensive. Randy will let em know. My O/U is 5 wins. Would love to be playing BC with a bowl game on the line.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing they don't spend a ton of time parsing the schedule of the team's ranked I triple digits.

3 wins last year, no QB, new system, typical low ranked recruiting, losses to the NFL/grad, meh, Edsall will keep them at 3 wins.

And I doubt it was that extensive. Randy will let em know. My O/U is 5 wins. Would love to be playing BC with a bowl game on the line.
I'll be happy if we just score points, even just a field goal, against BC. I expect that game at Fenway to be a Loss.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not expecting any miracles, but what should be a given in beating Holy Cross, I would have a hard time not seeing us squeeze out 2 more wins to at least get a push.

Again, as I said with Diaco in the beginning, wins are less important to me than how we are playing and how look. It's going to be a long rebuild and doing things the right way is how we should be viewing the season.

Reaction Score
I would bet the over. And your thousand gets twelve hundred.

Reaction Score
Have to count HC as a win. 3 and 8 the rest of the way is not a stretch goal. Favorable Uconn line. i'm feeling atleast 5 wins. Don't think we will be sexy, but HCRE teams always play solid fundamental football. Add in a couple "weather condition" games and we could go bowling.

Reaction Score

Excellent point CD, and I agree with you - in fact I would say take it a step further. Hardly anyone outside of our fan base (and Navy's) remembers that if not for some of the worst coaching ever, we had Navy beaten on the road. With even decent coaching we could have been... should have been... 4-0 going into the game against Houston, because it was again awful coaching that cost us the game against Syracuse. And if the team did not quit on Diaco, last year could have had a much different outcome.

I stopped betting on sports over a decade ago, but if I were still doing it I would absolutely be betting the over at either 3.5 or 4 on us this year. One of my 2 or 3 best Over/Under bets of this year. I am not even saying that because of the more professional look that Edsall brings back... I say it because of the OC, DC and Offensive Line coaches who we brought in. Bringing in Lashlee and Crocker were both coups. And Grimes as the OLine coach might turn out to be the best hire of them all.

I played football (Offensive Line) when I was younger and have coached, announced and watched football since I was a kid. I can tell you that these changes along with what Edsall brings to the table really should get us to 5 wins... and without getting overly optimistic I am really interested to see where we are at after the East Carolina game on November 4th with that finishing kick of at UCF, BC at Fenway Park and at Cincinnati to end the season. For a refresher, look at what competent coaching did for UCF last year: 0 wins in 2015, 6 last year and competitive in every other game beyond Michigan. We can absolutely make a similar transformation.

I am telling you all... watch the difference on our Offensive Line with the Grimes/Lashlee combo. They will actually look competent this year. If Newsome stays healthy, he could have an awesome year... a national notoriety-type of year. In fact, for those of you who play college football Fantasy: take him as a sleeper (I play pro football fantasy only).

6 to 7 wins is not out of the question for this year... and if you told me (or any of us for that matter) I would think that is a possibility as of last December, even after Edsall was re-hired, I would have told you that you were crack-addled.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We've come to accept such a low bar in our past rebuilds that I'm getting a whiff of Stockholm Syndrome. This staff will not see three wins as an acceptable outcome. They're going to settle on some personnel that can get us there and play to win. We didn't see that with Diaco and need to wipe it from our memory banks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Are you saying 5 wins is a push or 5 wins gets you paid?

I wouldn't touch a bet that needs UConn to get to 6 wins to get paid.

An over/under of 4.5? I might be tempted.

The over/unders where UConn is a 3 seems like a sucker bet to us. And yes, that is the state of the program. Fans are excited that a 4 win season exceeds expectations and makes for nicer Christmas gifts.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm not expecting any miracles, but what should be a given in beating Holy Cross, I would have a hard time not seeing us squeeze out 2 more wins to at least get a push.

Again, as I said with Diaco in the beginning, wins are less important to me than how we are playing and how look. It's going to be a long rebuild and doing things the right way is how we should be viewing the season.
I've always been in the 'eye test' camp myself. I want to see crispness, I want to execution, hats on hats, etc.... at some point though, you have to answer the 'you are what your record says you are' crowd.

Reaction Score
The only Vegas side bet I'd entertain related to UConn would be that we'll have more punt return yards this season than we've had the last 2 seasons combined. Other wise, I wouldn't go anywhere near a side bet for UConn. There is too much unknown. UConn will be running a new system on offence and a new system on defense..... both where we have not recruited the players to play those systems over the past few years. The only real "gimme" game on the schedule is Holy Cross,... after that we could lose all 11, or win maybe 5 or 6 if it's a good year. Gun to head I'd predict 4 wins max, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I have a hard time telling you who the W's are coming against after HC, but I'll give it a shot.

HC - W
USF - L (wish we were playing this game in November, and in the cold... we own USF in late season games at home)
@ UVa - L - we were lucky to beat them at home last season, and they will be a better team under Bronco in year 2
@SMU - L - Chad Morris will get the Pony Express flying this season
Memphis - W (trap game for Memphis.... it will be their 2nd consecutive road game and playing on a short week with Navy the week following)
@ Temple - L
Tulsa - L - Tulsa will win the AAC West this season, mark it down
Missouri - W - trap game for Mizzou as they will be looking ahead to Florida the next week
ECU - W
@ UCF - L
BC - L
@ UC - L

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Just sayin... UConn OVER 3.5 wins pays out at +135 on Bovada...

Also a $10 bet wins you $1,000 when we win the AAC

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Are you saying 5 wins is a push or 5 wins gets you paid?

I wouldn't touch a bet that needs UConn to get to 6 wins to get paid.

An over/under of 4.5? I might be tempted.

The over/unders where UConn is a 3 seems like a sucker bet to us. And yes, that is the state of the program. Fans are excited that a 4 win season exceeds expectations and makes for nicer Christmas gifts.

I think it's 5 on the nose. Could be 4 or 6 depending on luck or key turnovers. Actually returning punts has to be worth one win over the course of the season right?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think it's 5 on the nose. Could be 4 or 6 depending on luck or key turnovers. Actually returning punts has to be worth one win over the course of the season right?
I'm hoping kick returns and pick 6's are a holdover from HCRE v1.0.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Excellent point CD, and I agree with you - in fact I would say take it a step further. Hardly anyone outside of our fan base (and Navy's) remembers that if not for some of the worst coaching ever, we had Navy beaten on the road. With even decent coaching we could have been... should have been... 4-0 going into the game against Houston, because it was again awful coaching that cost us the game against Syracuse. And if the team did not quit on Diaco, last year could have had a much different outcome.

I stopped betting on sports over a decade ago, but if I were still doing it I would absolutely be betting the over at either 3.5 or 4 on us this year. One of my 2 or 3 best Over/Under bets of this year. I am not even saying that because of the more professional look that Edsall brings back... I say it because of the OC, DC and Offensive Line coaches who we brought in. Bringing in Lashlee and Crocker were both coups. And Grimes as the OLine coach might turn out to be the best hire of them all.

I played football (Offensive Line) when I was younger and have coached, announced and watched football since I was a kid. I can tell you that these changes along with what Edsall brings to the table really should get us to 5 wins... and without getting overly optimistic I am really interested to see where we are at after the East Carolina game on November 4th with that finishing kick of at UCF, BC at Fenway Park and at Cincinnati to end the season. For a refresher, look at what competent coaching did for UCF last year: 0 wins in 2015, 6 last year and competitive in every other game beyond Michigan. We can absolutely make a similar transformation.

I am telling you all... watch the difference on our Offensive Line with the Grimes/Lashlee combo. They will actually look competent this year. If Newsome stays healthy, he could have an awesome year... a national notoriety-type of year. In fact, for those of you who play college football Fantasy: take him as a sleeper (I play pro football fantasy only).

6 to 7 wins is not out of the question for this year... and if you told me (or any of us for that matter) I would think that is a possibility as of last December, even after Edsall was re-hired, I would have told you that you were crack-addled.

This is exactly where I am on this team. With few exceptions they are better across the board from a team that should have won 5 games while playing in a grossly deficient offense and defensive system, and with zero healthy QBs most of the season. We should be one of the surprise teams of the year.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I agree with this to an extent, but we should have lost to UVA as well if they'd had a kicker, so that kind of stuff has a way of cancelling itself out sometimes. Even so, I do think that Diaco probably lost us at least one game with his timeouts, fake FGs and bizzaro moves. If I were to pick a game that he lost us (other than Navy), it'd be Cuse. Amba Etta-Tawo shouldn't have had the chance to tear us up the way that he did, and we horribly mismanaged the end of the first half

Reaction Score
I think our D should be very good this year. I don"t know how long it will take them to adjust to the 3-3-5 but on paper we should have the speed and depth in the back and some stellar athletes to rush the passer. These guys (all of them) should be playing fast, loose and with a massive chip on the shoulder. So, if you start with a very good D, is 4-5 wins not realistic? If our O can stay on the field and we cut down on the TOs and force teams to drive most of the field against our D, should we not stay in most of these games? Trying to channel some positivity here but seriously, I think our D should be very good, no?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom