USA Today Predicts All 130 FBS Teams' Records For 2017 Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA Today Predicts All 130 FBS Teams' Records For 2017 Season

Reaction Score
The only Vegas side bet I'd entertain related to UConn would be that we'll have more punt return yards this season than we've had the last 2 seasons combined. Other wise, I wouldn't go anywhere near a side bet for UConn. There is too much unknown. UConn will be running a new system on offence and a new system on defense..... both where we have not recruited the players to play those systems over the past few years. The only real "gimme" game on the schedule is Holy Cross,... after that we could lose all 11, or win maybe 5 or 6 if it's a good year. Gun to head I'd predict 4 wins max, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I have a hard time telling you who the W's are coming against after HC, but I'll give it a shot.

HC - W
USF - L (wish we were playing this game in November, and in the cold... we own USF in late season games at home)
@ UVa - L - we were lucky to beat them at home last season, and they will be a better team under Bronco in year 2
@SMU - L - Chad Morris will get the Pony Express flying this season
Memphis - W (trap game for Memphis.... it will be their 2nd consecutive road game and playing on a short week with Navy the week following)
@ Temple - L
Tulsa - L - Tulsa will win the AAC West this season, mark it down
Missouri - W - trap game for Mizzou as they will be looking ahead to Florida the next week
ECU - W
@ UCF - L
BC - L
@ UC - L

Normally I would agree with you regarding USF, but I think this year is different than any other. They''ll only have one week of Holy Cross tape to scout our completely new offensive and defensive schemes. I think RE will be well-prepared for Strong, where as Strong may be too focused on RE-1.0. We could very well catch them by surprise early in the year.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Normally I would agree with you regarding USF, but I think this year is different than any other. They''ll only have one week of Holy Cross tape to scout our completely new offensive and defensive schemes. I think RE will be well-prepared for Strong, where as Strong may be too focused on RE-1.0. We could very well catch them by surprise early in the year.

We actually played 'em decently well last season on the road. I think it's possible.

Reaction Score
I think our D should be very good this year. I don"t know how long it will take them to adjust to the 3-3-5 but on paper we should have the speed and depth in the back and some stellar athletes to rush the passer. These guys (all of them) should be playing fast, loose and with a massive chip on the shoulder. So, if you start with a very good D, is 4-5 wins not realistic? If our O can stay on the field and we cut down on the TOs and force teams to drive most of the field against our D, should we not stay in most of these games? Trying to channel some positivity here but seriously, I think our D should be very good, no?

Yes Sir. We won 3 games last year with good defense and essentially no offense. We lost another 3 games by 8 points or less. A lot of media/fans seem real focused on RE and Lashlee, but Crocker is an absolute defensive mastermind. Our weakest spot this year is probably special teams, but I also expect some improvement there.

I think we'll see 5 to 7 wins this year.

HC: W (Won't be a struggle like that last 5 plus FCS teams we've played)
USF: L (...But closer than many think)
@ UVA: W (Bronco gets bamboozled by UCONN's new offense/defense)
@ SMU: L (Chad Morris is gonna get them bowling this year)
Memphis: W (Short week for the Tigers/trap game with them looking ahead)
@ Temple: L (Not sold on their new HC, but advantage to the home team)
Tulsa: L (I like Tulsa to win the AAC this year)
Missouri: W (Cold late October with a home crowd of 30,000+)
ECU: W (Revenge game from last year's curb stomping)
@ UCF: L (I like UCF to finish 2nd in the East)
BC: W (Pro-UCONN crowd in a unique venue/revenge game/playing for bowl eligibility gets the guys revved up)
@ Cincinnati: L (Let-down after gaining bowl eligibility)

Reaction Score
Just looked at the latest number from SouthPoint -- they have a great newsletter that goes out daily through Brent Musberger's VSIN.

Over/Under set at 3 -- give me the OVER

125/1 to win the AAC.

Reaction Score
Agree- getting them early is the best shot we have, unless they are playing in late November at the Rent in a nice miserable freezing rain and snow mix that drifts into an icy chill of late in the afternoon with 15,000 die hards. It makes for a nice depressing hell for a southern team wondering how long until they can get back on the bus.

Reaction Score
Count me as crazy but I actually think we are better off then most predict (the optimist in me shining through). I have been known in the past to overrate our team with regards to prediction of wins and I will say I didn't predict our seasons well the last 6 years or so with the mess the FHCs put us through. In those years I consistently predicted 2-4 extra wins but I think our new-age, yet experienced, coaching staff will do wonders with an above average-talent team. I think its crucial we avoid injury as some of our position groups lack depth (RB, LB, DB, K/P). However, for the most part the position groups either offer top end AAC talent (LB, RB, TE, CB) in a few numbers or a dearth of quality depth (WR, OL, QB). I think one of the positions that may finally turn the corner is the OL.

I know we've been hoping for this for a while only to be let down but a starting 5 that begins with (Crozier, Peart, Hopkins) looks great on paper and has the potential to be pretty damn good for the AAC as all 3 have very good track records individually. To go along with that we have some experienced depth which at the very least can be looked at as guys who have been in a collegiate weight lifting program for at least 3 if not 4 plus years (Shafenacker, Vechery, Oak, Rutherford, Hashemi). Add in a fewer highly billed freshman in Holmes et al. and I think some good coaching (relating to them, getting them to buy in, teaching basics first, not confusing them and not asking them to do more than we need them too, hell just teaching logically!) could have the chemistry on the line at a 5-6 year high. And chemistry is the most important thing. Having confidence. I feel like these guys have the potential for sure.

I am most worried about our secondary, specifically the safeties. There is minimal experience and minimal proven high impact guys there. That position can be crucial to success as a defense can be phenomal for much of a game but a couple of mis reads or poor fundamentals/techniques from that group and we could give up some homerun plays. We have seen that in the past.

With all of that said, if someone made me wager on an over under of 4.5 I would go over. If we can go back to the RE 1.0 days of just counting FCS teams as a win you are talking needing to go 4-7 from there on out. We could very well be starting 9 seniors on defense, have one of our most dynamic QB's in recent memory who has post HS success, a RB who may go on to set career records as an all-time great husky, seasoned TE's, depth at WR, and a innovative SEC play caller. With our mediocre schedule both AAC and OOC wise I believe 4 -7 should easily be attainable. I'm going with 6 this year. As someone said earlier we were a coaching decision away from starting 3-0 last year, and maybe a couple more from 4-0. Even in our miserable 6 year skid we have played close games and even won some against the tops of our schedule (Michigan, Cincy, Navy, Houston, Missouri, Temple, Louisville, Maryland) and I think that only illustrates the fact that the talent gap has never been insurmountable. It's more about whether or not the guys are bought in and feeling confident and that is something that comes straight from their belief in their coaching staff. And to add to the coaching matter point, game management and offensive play calling can literally only get better.

6-6 (not picking the specific wins yet)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom