USA-Serbia thread? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA-Serbia thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Very tight 3rd quarter. Great shooting by Serbia. Would wish our perimeter defense was better, but give Serbia credit for playing hard and shooting really well!

Side note - if you look at the box score, it should pretty much eliminate any residual questions about having so many UCONN'ers on the roster...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
EDD has only played 1:48 so far. It will be interesting to see if she gets pt in the 4th quarter.
EDD is not engaged defensively. DT was in her ear that last time out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stewie must be shooting 80% for this tournament.

Reaction Score
EDD is not engaged defensively. DT was in her ear that last time out.
She seemed off all game, both offensively and defensively. Maybe it was just not her day, or maybe the extremely quick, aggressive Serbian team rattled her, and, inexperienced in international style, she more or less disengaged.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Serbia is 0-3 and in danger of not making the Medal Round. This is a good team that should have beaten Canada and had their chances to win against Spain. USA played poorly on defense. Shouldn't have given up 12 3 point shots, many of them uncontested. USA constantly lost players on dribble drives, resulting in fouls called on USA. This USA team had too much offense today. Will be interesting to see what Canada is able to accomplish. Don't think Canada has the Outside Shooters that Serbia has.

2nd half Scoring USA 54 Serbia 50 Live Stats: FIBA Live Statistics

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks, yard family for the updates and small highlights of the action on the court. Working the 9-5, I miss some of the basketball games of the Olympics, especially when it is WBB of the USA.

Reaction Score
Serbia is 0-3 and in danger of not making the Medal Round. This is a good team that should have beaten Canada and had their chances to win against Spain. USA played poorly on defense. Shouldn't have given up 12 3 point shots, many of them uncontested. USA constantly lost players on dribble drives, resulting in fouls called on USA. This USA team had too much offense today. Will be interesting to see what Canada is able to accomplish. Don't think Canada has the Outside Shooters that Serbia has.

2nd half Scoring USA 54 Serbia 50 Live Stats: FIBA Live Statistics

You're right. Serbia is a very good team. These women can play ball!! Dabovic was an all-rookie selection in the WNBA last year, though she's played several years in the Euro-League.

Petrovic (15 points) plays with Maya in Minnesota.

I don't know this Milovanovic, but she registered 15 points as well, as Serbia hit 60% of its threes, and laid 84 points on the US.

The Olympics is showing us some first-rate women's basketball. Even though Serbia isn't making it through to the second round, they put on a very fine display of basketball.

One of the announcers remarked near the end that if the US had eliminated its first team (12 players), and put up a second team in the Olympics, it would also probably win the gold. You know, I doubt it.

Serbia, with three losses, had the score under 20 points in the fourth quarter. If EDD and Breanna and D and Maya weren't there, I think it could have been a rip-roaring game.

I, for one, would like to know a lot more about Euro-League basketball. I'm guessing there are some serious stars over there that we know nothing at all about.

Seems to me that women's basketball is going the way of men's basketball: it's becoming international, and other countries are churning out some first-rate players, talented and well coached.

Really getting interesting....

Reaction Score
Actually if you have either a cable subscription or a satellite subscription, the easiest way to watch any or all (and I do mean all) of the Olympics is to download the NBC Sports App. Log in with whatever your user ID & Password from your cable/satellite company is (what you would use to log into their site, to check your bill or whatever), and then select the "Live & Upcoming" tab. You will then see a list of all of the available games. You can then either select an individual game, or look for the titles "NBC Broadcast Live Stream," or "NBCSN Live Stream" or "USA Live Stream" to watch an individual channel's live stream, as you prefer. I prefer the game option, as then you don't have to worry about them leaving to show something else. Interestingly, often the commentators for the game video are NOT the same as the ones on the TV channel live stream showing the same event. (Haven't figured out why that is....) I started doing this when the trials were running.

You also can select "full replays" to see, well, full replays of any event that was broadcast on NBC Sports as part of the runup to the Games (trials, etc.) or Olympic events up to now (e.g. prior USA Women's Basketball games!).

I hope that this is helpful to people -- it has made for very enjoyable days.

But I only recommend doing any of this if you have a LARGE data plan with your wireless provider.

Enjoy!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah - EDD looked like the USA rookie that she is. She just seemed out of sync and never got her head into it. Serbia with no real 'centers' puts a lot of pressure on the USA bigs - Tina was the only one who played pretty well. EDD did better in her final stint when she and Stewart were trading off playing center.
Seimone is doing a great job running the offense and creating assists.
The official scores have been robbing Stewart - she had at least one assist on a break away and she got two blocked shots in the first few minutes she was on the floor.

Reaction Score
And who is Lara Sanders? She's now a Turkish citizen playing for Turkey. But she's among the scoring leaders for the Olympics, and a leader in other categories as well. Says she was born into a US military family, and lived overseas. But tearing up the Olympics this year.

Reaction Score
Sloppiest game by USA vs a pretty good Serbia team.
Geno will have a field day post game and next practice!
Look for a major step up in attention to detail by USA in next game!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Serbia was unbelievable shooting the 3: 60% on 12 of 20, with 6 different players scoring at least one 3-pointer.

It was a scrappy and physical game, with lots of fouls called (45 total) which really prevented the game from finding any rhythm.

In some ways it reminded me of the UConn-Texas game in the Elite 8. A spunky challenge from a quality opponent playing its best game of the year.

Reaction Score
Geno toughest job is trying to give playing time to everyone!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And who is Lara Sanders? She's now a Turkish citizen playing for Turkey. But she's among the scoring leaders for the Olympics, and a leader in other categories as well. Says she was born into a US military family, and lived overseas. But tearing up the Olympics this year.
Lara Sanders is the former LaToya Pringle, who was a very good player at UNC and has played in the WNBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Serbia was unbelievable shooting the 3: 60% on 12 of 20, with 6 different players scoring at least one 3-pointer.

We saw in Istanbul in 2014 that there are several good shooters in Europe, lots of 6'0"-6'3" women who can hit the three. Kitija Laksa, the freshman at South Florida who was the American Conference FOY, is typical.

Reaction Score

You know, these Serbian players really hustled. I don't think it was a sloppy game by the USA as much as it was Serbia going after every ball, every rebound, and harassing the Americans at every turn and every pass.

They played tough.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You know, these Serbian players really hustled. I don't think it was a sloppy game by the USA as much as it was Serbia going after every ball, every rebound, and harassing the Americans at every turn and every pass.

They played tough.
They are like the Dayton or the DePaul of Eastern Europe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that Catch was out of synch against Spain and Elena was out of synch against Serbia, partly because of the fouls. Other than those, I think all 12 players have played well in every game. Stewie is showing that she more than belongs. Diana is showing that she is unparalleled.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
maybe that missed practice/day off messed up their rhythm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS