USA National Team | The Boneyard

USA National Team

Reaction Score
The National team begins its 3-day camp today in Seattle. There are many UConn girls in attendance, including 1 of our current stars, Pheesa.

They play China on Thursday. There are 19 girls at camp. They will need to get down to 12 by Thursday. Will be intersting to see who they keep. Here are the current players.

Seimone Augustus *
Sue Bird *
Layshia Clarendon
Napheesa Collier
Elana Delle Donne *
Skylar Diggins-Smith *
Stefanie Dolson
Sylvia Fowles *
Allisha Gray
Tiffany Hayes
Jewell Lloyd *
Tiffany Mitchell
Kelsey Mitchell
Breanna Stewart *
Brittney Sykes
Diana Taurasi *
Morgan Tuck
Sydney Wiese
Elizabeth Williams

I’ve put a * next to those I think are locks to make the cut. Leaving 4 open spots.

What 4 other players do you have??

I’d say..
Gray (SC/Dawn Ties)
Dolson (another big body)
T. Hayes
Pheesa

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Will Maya be free to play with the team since I think her international duties are finished after the Euro title? Or will we pick 12 and then Maya will bump a player later?

Regarding the list above, Phessa is not ready yet. I would say Sykes.

Reaction Score
Will Maya be free to play with the team since I think her international duties are finished after the Euro title? Or will we pick 12 and then Maya will bump a player later?

Regarding the list above, Phessa is not ready yet. I would say Sykes.
There are a lot of players like Maya, Ogwumike, Griner etc not participating in this camp because of overseas obligations but they are still eligible in 2020.

Agree with your assessment of Pheesa but if you’re the committee, why not keep her this time? Knowing she’s one of the young players that has a real chance to make it in the future. The men’s side does this all the time. Also, Sykes is a guard. Seems to me they have enough of those already.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There are a lot of players like Maya, Ogwumike, Griner etc not participating in this camp because of overseas obligations but they are still eligible in 2020.

Agree with your assessment of Pheesa but if you’re the committee, why not keep her this time? Knowing she’s one of the young players that has a real chance to make it in the future. The men’s side does this all the time. Also, Sykes is a guard. Seems to me they have enough of those already.

I do not think Pheesa is such a sure bet and has to earn her way on to future teams. I understand when we did this for Breanna Stewart who is a clear can't miss but the potential of Pheesa is not in the same ballpark.

I really like Sykes so if you want to clear out a guard position, I would take Sykes over Lloyd in a heartbeat.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A'Ja Wilson?
Don't think Jewell Lloyd is a lock to make the down select but I think Clarendon is.

Reaction Score
I do not think Pheesa is such a sure bet and has to earn her way on to future teams. I understand when we did this for Breanna Stewart who is a clear can't miss but the potential of Pheesa is not in the same ballpark.

I really like Sykes so if you want to clear out a guard position, I would take Sykes over Lloyd in a heartbeat.
I agree with what you’re saying but doesn’t the fact that she’s the only current college player in attendance speak to what the committee already thinks of her??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with what you’re saying but doesn’t the fact that she’s the only current college player in attendance speak to what the committee already thinks of her??
Not necessarily because KLS would also be there if not for surgery.

Reaction Score
They need to use this year to inject some youth in USA basketball. Whalen and Catchinhgs are for sure done with USA. Out of the Augustus, Bird, and Taurisi trio, I believe they need to cut one. That trio will probably all be cut by the Olympics in 2020 mainly because of age and changing of the guard. While Augustus will make this team, when the other potential players return to camp I would expect her to get cut.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Would not be surprised to see them take Dolson AND E. Williams since Fowles seems to be only real post player who's a lock. Dolson is the better scorer, Williams is the better rebounder. Don't know enough about their defense, though Williams has always been one of the league leaders in blocks.

Reaction Score
Again, I agree but I’m talking about who is there right now & she’s the only current college player.

Why not keep her? Because there could be a player on the team more deserving of that spot. We have no way of knowing how she or any other player perform during the camp. I would be shocked if she makes the team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

There's a bunch of folks in the pool not coming....cut and pasted from the USA Basketball Release:

"Members of the USA National Team pool who are unable to participate in camp due to injury or other commitments are: Tina Charles (New York Liberty); Asia Durr(University of Louisville); Chelsea Gray (Los Angeles Sparks); Brittney Griner(Phoenix Mercury); Jantel Lavender (Los Angeles Sparks); Kayla McBride (Las Vegas Aces); Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta Dream); Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx); Chiney Ogwumike (Connecticut Sun); Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks); Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces); Katie Lou Samuelson (University of Connecticut); Odyssey Sims (Los Angeles Sparks); Courtney Williams (Connecticut Sun); and A’ja Wilson (Las Vegas Aces)."

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
A'Ja Wilson?
Don't think Jewell Lloyd is a lock to make the down select but I think Clarendon is.

Wilson isn’t participating in camp and likely won’t make the team as a result. She’s focusing on getting ready for her rookie season.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'd have Tiffany Mitchell as a lock, since Dawn is the head coach. There will be a South Carolina player on the Sr Team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wilson isn’t participating in camp and likely won’t make the team as a result. She’s focusing on getting ready for her rookie season.
Dam, now what do I have to look forward to? I was looking forward to those post saying A'Ja made the team because Dawn is the coach. Very disappointing.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'd have Tiffany Mitchell as a lock, since Dawn is the head coach. There will be a South Carolina player on the Sr Team.

Which Sr team? The one that plays China in an exhibition game or the one that plays in the World Cup in Spain in September? I doubt Mitchell makes either team but she most certainly won't be playing in Spain.

Reaction Score
I agree. I’d be shocked if she didn’t have a former Gamecock on the roster. Wouldn’t be a great selling point for recruiting purposes if not one made it and UConn had 4-5 on the team.

Reaction Score
Which Sr team? The one that plays China in an exhibition game or the one that plays in the World Cup in Spain in September? I doubt Mitchell makes either team but she most certainly won't be playing in Spain.
Agree with you about Spain. I’d lean more towards Gray if anyone was the make this World Cup team over Mitchell. Mitchell only averaged 9ppg in the WNBA last season...doesn’t exactly scream USA talent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree. I’d be shocked if she didn’t have a former Gamecock on the roster. Wouldn’t be a great selling point for recruiting purposes if not one made it and UConn had 4-5 on the team.
Really? That's not how USA basketball works the coach doesn't pick the team despite what you might have heard originating from TN. The UCONN players that made USA basketball would have made the team regardless of who was coaching.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

The Selection Committee isn't interested in providing Dawn with recruiting selling points.

Reaction Score
Really? That's not how USA basketball works the coach doesn't pick the team despite what you might have heard originating from TN. The UCONN players that made USA basketball would have made the team regardless of who was coaching.
If you don’t think the coach has input then you’re sadly mistaken. Not saying she has the final say but if she advocates for a player, I’m sure they’ll listen because she is the coach and it’s her system they have to for the player to.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you don’t think the coach has input then you’re sadly mistaken. Not saying she has the final say but if she advocates for a player, I’m sure they’ll listen because she is the coach and it’s her system they have to for the player to.
There is input and there is INPUT, neither allows for the placement of someone on the team who does not belong. If a former SC player does end up on the team it will be because they have earned it-just like the UCONN players did when Geno was coaching.

Reaction Score
My two cents:
We know there are two spots for sure open vs the last Olympic team with Whalen and Catchings retiring from USA Basketball. It remains to be seen if the other 10 return. It's debatable to me if Augustus and McCoughtry "should" make the team but I suspect the other 8 will be there if they want to be and those two definitely have gas left in the tank. That means there will likely be 2 to 4 spots open and that's assuming Bird and Taurasi return, which if healthy I think they give it one more run.

It isn't a secret USA Basketball needs young guards and I strongly suspect Diggins-Smith is a lock. Clarendon and Loyd both have strong shots to make it as well. Jefferson and McBride have miss time with injuries but both are great players who I wouldn't dismiss from any future teams at this point in their careers. If I were picking the team, I would invite back all 10 returners who haven't declined to play additional tournaments and add Diggins-Smith and Loyd. Clarendon would be my third option and if they get to four, Nneka would be my pick. No she isn't a guard but has shown how good she is.

USA basketball has more than enough riches to pick a great roster while leaving outstanding players off and are likely to win gold if they play up to their potential.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
My two cents:
We know there are two spots for sure open vs the last Olympic team with Whalen and Catchings retiring from USA Basketball. It remains to be seen if the other 10 return. It's debatable to me if Augustus and McCoughtry "should" make the team but I suspect the other 8 will be there if they want to be and those two definitely have gas left in the tank. That means there will likely be 2 to 4 spots open and that's assuming Bird and Taurasi return, which if healthy I think they give it one more run.

It isn't a secret USA Basketball needs young guards and I strongly suspect Diggins-Smith is a lock. Clarendon and Loyd both have strong shots to make it as well. Jefferson and McBride have miss time with injuries but both are great players who I wouldn't dismiss from any future teams at this point in their careers. If I were picking the team, I would invite back all 10 returners who haven't declined to play additional tournaments and add Diggins-Smith and Loyd. Clarendon would be my third option and if they get to four
, Nneka would be my pick. No she isn't a guard but has shown how good she is.

USA basketball has more than enough riches to pick a great roster while leaving outstanding players off and are likely to win gold if they play up to their potential.

Do you have something against Gray? Or is she too old in your opinion? :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom