USA -France U 17 final | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USA -France U 17 final

Reaction Score
Man I hope so. She has a nice, even handed approach, which is similar to Geno's. Except of course when it isn't. She is however unafraid to read her team the riot act when necessary.

I don't get all the love for her. Yeah, they won convincingly but that squad would have won with just about anyone at the helm. Her reluctance to run really bothered a lot of people. Horston and Jones both played PG for their respective HS teams yet she insisted that Fudd, Cooke, VL come back to the ball instead of filling lanes and letting the forwards bust out when the quick outlet wasn't available. She reprimanded the team for getting excited on the bench on a Belibe breakaway while up 35+. Just all and all a wet blanket that always told you what you were doing wrong and never mixing in any positive reinforcement.

Reaction Score
Naming the all tournament team:
Boston, Horston and Jones.
Rupert from France was named also; though the way she didn't show up today could have disqualified her entirely.
Horston MVP of the tournament !!!
Yeah, I thought Ruppert should have been left off for possibly the shooter (#4). She got shut out in the Final as well as missing almost an entire game and part of another due to injury.

Reaction Score
Carla did an awesome job! In yesterday’s game, we were up by about 20 early, and someone left the opponent open in the corner for a made three. She was pi$$ed. Sounds like her former coach. The defense was stifling.

Horston is not under the radar now. She has a rare combo of size, speed, skill, energy, and intelligence. I want her in Storrs big time!
I hope it's a long way in the future, but when Geno retires, I really want Carla Berube to be considered as his successor if she's interested in returning to her alma mater for the challenge.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I did a little research in to the rosters of recent U19 teams.

In 2011, seven of the 12 team members played on the 2010 U17 championship team. Those 7 players were Stewart, Tuck, Mosqueda-Lewis, Burdick, Adams, Massengale and E. Williams. The head coach of the U19 team was Jennifer Rizotti who also was head coach of the 2010 U18 team.

In 2013, only 2 players (Turner and Harper) played on the 2012 U17 championship team while 5 played on the 2012 U18 team (Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Agee and Graves). Alexis Jones played on the 2011 U19 team. The head coach of the U19 team was Katie Meier who also was head coach of the 2012 U18 team.

In 2015, 2 players (Anigwe and Cox) played on the 2014 U17 championship team; Lou would have been the 3rd but she missed the championships for family reasons. Only 2 players played on the 2014 U18 team. The head coach of the U19 team was Dawn Staley who also was head coach of the 2014 U18 team.

In 2017, no players came from the 2016 U17 team while 5 players were on the 2016 U18 team. The head coach of the U19 team was Suzie McConnell-Serio who also was head coach of the 2016 U18 team.

Precedent suggests two things: First, the head coach of next year's U19 team will be Jeff Walz. Maybe Carla gets to coach the U18 team in 2020. Second, USA BB is willing to promote very talented players from its U17 team to the next year's U19 team as it did in 2011 when 7 of the 12 players came from the U17 team. Given the talent on this year's U17 team, I can see USA BB doing that next year.

Reaction Score
I did a little research in to the rosters of recent U19 teams.

In 2011, seven of the 12 team members played on the 2010 U17 championship team. Those 7 players were Stewart, Tuck, Mosqueda-Lewis, Burdick, Adams, Massengale and E. Williams. The head coach of the U19 team was Jennifer Rizotti who also was head coach of the 2010 U18 team.

In 2013, only 2 players (Turner and Harper) played on the 2012 U17 championship team while 5 played on the 2012 U18 team (Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Agee and Graves). Alexis Jones played on the 2011 U19 team. The head coach of the U19 team was Katie Meier who also was head coach of the 2012 U18 team.

In 2015, 2 players (Anigwe and Cox) played on the 2014 U17 championship team; Lou would have been the 3rd but she missed the championships for family reasons. Only 2 players played on the 2014 U18 team. The head coach of the U19 team was Dawn Staley who also was head coach of the 2014 U18 team.

In 2017, no players came from the 2016 U17 team while 5 players were on the 2016 U18 team. The head coach of the U19 team was Suzie McConnell-Serio who also was head coach of the 2016 U18 team.

Precedent suggests two things: First, the head coach of next year's U19 team will be Jeff Walz. Maybe Carla gets to coach the U18 team in 2020. Second, USA BB is willing to promote very talented players from its U17 team to the next year's U19 team as it did in 2011 when 7 of the 12 players came from the U17 team. Given the talent on this year's U17 team, I can see USA BB doing that next year.
Very informative and thorough. Wow.

One thing I wanted to comment on was there seemingly reluctance to put younger players on the team. In 2013, the young players were Turner, Wilson, and Gabby Green. In 2015 they were Dangerfield, Cox, and Slocum (added in for Samuelson). In 2017 it was just Williams.

This interests me because the class of 2018 hasn't been able to win a gold medal for USA. USAB has passed on a lot of good younger talent in the past to put in older players that finished their Freshman college season (for the U19 team). A question I think about is do they do that next year? The 2019/20 class has shown to be more talented and deep than the 2018 class. We will see how the u18 does this year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Very informative and thorough. Wow.

One thing I wanted to comment on was there seemingly reluctance to put younger players on the team. In 2013, the young players were Turner, Wilson, and Gabby Green. In 2015 they were Dangerfield, Cox, and Slocum (added in for Samuelson). In 2017 it was just Williams.

This interests me because the class of 2018 hasn't been able to win a gold medal for USA. USAB has passed on a lot of good younger talent in the past to put in older players that finished their Freshman college season (for the U19 team). A question I think about is do they do that next year? The 2019/20 class has shown to be more talented and deep than the 2018 class. We will see how the u18 does this year.

The U18 team will win every game by a lot. I expect the average MOV to be 30-40 points. This is the FIBA Americas tournament, not the world cup. No team will challenge Team USA. Team USA has not lost one of these games since 1996. Team USA scrimmaged Canada yesterday and won by 30.

Next year's U19 team will be a blend of players from the U18 team and the U17 team. A few of the 2018 players will have the advantage of playing a year of college basketball.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I doubt Jeff will be the coach of the U19 World Championship team. I suspect Carla will be the head coach. Less complaints from other College Coaches if Carla coaches. I wonder if USA Basketball will now only select College coaches as the two recent losses (u16 & U17 ) were coached by a HS Coach. I would like to see USA Girls Basketball hire a permanent coach to coach the U17 and U19 World Championship teams.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I doubt Jeff will be the coach of the U19 World Championship team. I suspect Carla will be the head coach. Less complaints from other College Coaches if Carla coaches. I wonder if USA Basketball will now only select College coaches as the two recent losses (u16 & U17 ) were coached by a HS Coach. I would like to see USA Girls Basketball hire a permanent coach to coach the U17 and U19 World Championship teams.

The past 4 U19 teams were coached by D1 coaches, including Dawn Staley 2 years ago. All coached the U18 team the previous year. Are you saying other coaches are complaining about Jeff but didn't raise similar complaints about Staley or Meier? USA BB may eventually change its approach to selecting U19 coaches but I doubt it singles out Jeff and treats him differently than the coaches who came before him.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't get all the love for her. Yeah, they won convincingly but that squad would have won with just about anyone at the helm. Her reluctance to run really bothered a lot of people. Horston and Jones both played PG for their respective HS teams yet she insisted that Fudd, Cooke, VL come back to the ball instead of filling lanes and letting the forwards bust out when the quick outlet wasn't available. She reprimanded the team for getting excited on the bench on a Belibe breakaway while up 35+. Just all and all a wet blanket that always told you what you were doing wrong and never mixing in any positive reinforcement.
I couldn’t disagree more with your post. Getting a group of star HS players to play together as a team, with a limited amount of time to prepare, is a terrific accomplishment. It has been pointed out here that several top HS coaches have previously fallen short with the Under 16 & 17 teams in world championships.

Yes, this team was extremely talented, and may well have won the tournament with a lesser coach, but Carla Berube deserves a great deal of credit for molding them into a dominating group that played for each other. If you believe that’s easy, take a look at Tenn & tOSU who consistently fall short of expectations despite loaded rosters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I don't hear much complaining about who gets to coach USA teams. While players get to know that coach better than others that can cut both ways. And I would think that it's important for continuity to keep a coach for the 2 year cycle. If unfairness is the issue then perhaps the thing to look at is the disparity in recruiting budgets among the schools.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well firstly she chose "That Squad". How about giving her credit for not bowing to the polls and instead choosing a team of players, some of which were barely on peoples radar, and molding them into a team? Secondly, if you think it's easy to get a bunch of all stars to play unseĺfish basketball on offense AND defense, especially players of their age, all of which are THE guy on their teams, you are woefully misguided.

So if the transition basket wasn't there you still wanted her to push up on every play regardless? From what I saw she instead chose to play at a fast pace, especially in the half court. Your quote that her refusal "bothered a lot of people" is either gross over estimitization or delusional. Where were these botherd people? On what forum? At which venue?

She reprimanded the team. Again I think you fail to understand perspective. The team had just finished over the course of several days pounding every team in the tournament like they were grade schoolers. Meanwhile the USA fans in attendance, from my perspective occasionally behaved like ugly Americans. So here's our team, up by a billion, jumping up and down as if they'd just taken the lead in OT. Perhaps not rubbing it in too deep was a good idea?

How about her calm, positive, and insightful TO speeches? How about knowing her players, getting their best, while making timely substitutions? How about Carla treating her charges like adults and not babies? How about you coaching a team of young women and doing a better job?

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

My guess is that you are a family friend or relative or even a parent of one of the team members. Specifically, one of the members that didn't play as much as the others. Your post is the main reason why coaching is impossible today. People are sitting in the bleachers critiquing, judging or second guessing every move the coach makes often with a negative slant because their individual needs aren't being met. I coached for over thirty years and from my view, I don't know or care what her relationship with the kids was off the court but her on the court conduct and strategy was top notch.

Reaction Score
Troll alert!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Her reluctance to run? The team did run...a lot. Certain fans here commented that the fast pace the team played at was not a good fit for certain players, yet you're citing complaints that the team didn't run enough? "A lot of people were bothered?" Who exactly?

Your point about the guards and filling lanes makes no sense.

She reprimanded the team about not celebrating too much when up 35 points. Maybe she was trying to make a point about sportsmanship. Is that such a bad thing?

Who told you that all she did was tell players what they did wrong?

The team won gold in convincing fashion and did so by playing unselfish basketball. Instead of celebrating that, you've chosen to register here yesterday so you can post complaints about the coach. The weird thing is you don't even own up to the complaints, instead attributing them to "a lot of people" or even the players themselves. Come on. You gotta do better than that.

JordyG

Reaction Score
My guess is that you are a family friend or relative or even a parent of one of the team members. Specifically, one of the members that didn't play as much as the others. Your post is the main reason why coaching is impossible today. People are sitting in the bleachers critiquing, judging or second guessing every move the coach makes often with a negative slant because their individual needs aren't being met. I coached for over thirty years and from my view, I don't know or care what her relationship with the kids was off the court but her on the court conduct and strategy was top notch.
Critiquing a 50 point victory! Real talk. Preach V-man, preach!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Jordy,

The post struck a nerve. I had parents come up to me more than once after games that we won by 20 and all the kids got a bunch of time and say things like "man, you guys didn't rebound very well". The problem with the poster, is that there is lots of fans like this person. Several boneyarders picke the poster apart like I wanted to but I didn't want to give the post any amount of rational discussion.

Reaction Score
Sorry to interupt the Carla worship, please carry on. FWIW, I think UCONN is pretty much a lock to get 4/5 of the starters. I also think if you announced tomorrow that she is replacing Geno the ceiling becomes 1/5.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry to interupt the Carla worship, please carry on. FWIW, I think UCONN is pretty much a lock to get 4/5 of the starters. I also think if you announced tomorrow that she is replacing Geno the ceiling becomes 1/5.
:eek::eek:So which starter isn't UCONN getting because I'm not sure UCONN thrives without all 5?

JordyG

Reaction Score
:eek::eek:So which starter isn't UCONN getting because I'm not sure UCONN thrives without all 5?
Dorf
"UConn doesn't get the young lady I'm related to. Long live myopic self interest, and to twist what Michael Gerson said, the soft bigotry of high expectations".

Reaction Score
Dorf
"UConn doesn't get the young lady I'm related to. Long live myopic self interest, and to twist what Michael Gerson said, the soft bigotry of high expectations".
WHy do you assume I'm related to anyone associated with the team? The inference that I must have an ax to grind is puzzling.

Reaction Score
Well firstly she chose "That Squad". How about giving her credit for not bowing to the polls and instead choosing a team of players, some of which were barely on peoples radar, and molding them into a team? Secondly, if you think it's easy to get a bunch of all stars to play unseĺfish basketball on offense AND defense, especially players of their age, all of which are THE guy on their teams, you are woefully misguided.

So if the transition basket wasn't there you still wanted her to push up on every play regardless? From what I saw she instead chose to play at a fast pace, especially in the half court. Your quote that her refusal "bothered a lot of people" is either gross over estimitization or delusional. Where were these botherd people? On what forum? At which venue?

She reprimanded the team. Again I think you fail to understand perspective. The team had just finished over the course of several days pounding every team in the tournament like they were grade schoolers. Meanwhile the USA fans in attendance, from my perspective occasionally behaved like ugly Americans. So here's our team, up by a billion, jumping up and down as if they'd just taken the lead in OT. Perhaps not rubbing it in too deep was a good idea?

How about her calm, positive, and insightful TO speeches? How about knowing her players, getting their best, while making timely substitutions? How about Carla treating her charges like adults and not babies? How about you coaching a team of young women and doing a better job?
You are spot on!
Compare this to the current U18 team. So who's the better coach?
Carla is if she wasn't already, made a strong case for consideration as the next U Conn coach. That is if the demands and pressure of the job meet her life needs.
A truly superb job by her and fellow coaches and advisors in choosing the team!
Bronx23

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why do you assume I'm related to anyone associated with the team?
Because you signed up for the BY on 31 July 2018 which was exactly 2 days after the conclusion of the tournament in Belarus on 29 July 2010. You also provided an observation that Carla scolded her players for celebrating after the Belibi breakaway. This observation could not have been made from the broadcast ( I have re-watched it several times) and must have been observed or relayed by someone in the gym within close proximity of Carla and the team.
Welcome to the BY. Associations or affiliations aside, let's talk. You can use the inbox BY feature if you feel more comfortable.
After watching the U18 team play , and reading some of the criticism of Jeff, I'm curious to know what you think Carla could have done better?

Reaction Score

I think you could pretty much say the same thing if his replacement was any other coach in wcbb, including those of ND, SC, BU & Stan.

Reaction Score
I think you could pretty much say the same thing if his replacement was any other coach in wcbb, including those of ND, SC, BU & Stan.
Maybe. But this situation would be slightly different given that the players have spent substantial time with the replacement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom