USA -France U 17 final | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA -France U 17 final

Reaction Score
1. The team had four new players that were not on last year's team. (Jones!, Brink, Van Lith and I think Orsborne).
2. Their tryout process is so extensive that I would think that no spot is guaranteed. Van Lith, Fudd, Brink and possibly Boston could play on the team next year.
3. Berube coached a USA team last year. The US likes to rotate coaches so that nobody is saddled with too much of a time commitment. I am guessing that they would love to have Carla again but I am not sure what advantage she would have in doing it again.
4. Somebody mentioned that the switch to college coaches was a recent change. I didn't know that. It would seem like an attractive vehicle for an up and coming D2 or D3 coach to showcase their talents. Berube has been at Tufts for a while. I have no idea whether she has aspirations for a new challenge or not.
5. Watching Berube work reminded me a little of Brad Stevens. Like Stevens, Berube has the respect of the players while presenting herself for the most part in a calm, in-control manner.
I'm surprised that they were using such a comprehensive search and extensive trials to find just the right players and then just turning them over to a HS coach before the change was made. Berube is excellent.

Reaction Score
Some afterthoughts on this team that I have not seen elsewhere.

Fran Belibi has really improved since last year and is no longer that girl that can dunk and will be a solid post player in college. In this game she owes her teammates about 5-6 assists that she missed or fumbled but she will never play with more talented passer.

Azzi Fudd should remain a PG because she is a better game manager than ALL the very talented 2020 PG in the class directly ahead of her.

Van Lith needs to take some of the dribbling out of her game. Much of her dribbling is not very purposeful.

One of the more remarkable stats in Horston’s game that should not be overlooked is the PF column. Despite being the most active perimeter defender (twice as many steals as next USA player) and being 2nd on the team in rebounding (many of which were under the basket) Horston fouled a total of 3 times in 7 games.

I disagree with @victor64 Carla’s grade should be A+ not an A. That press break she used against France (think I have seen it somewhere before) snatched the soul out of France and Horston applied a guillotine with her steals.

ESPN badly needs to update the 2019 class ranking. If ESPN truly believes that there are 7 players in the 2019 class better than Horston then no wonder they are losing so many subscribers.

Massive shout out to the players who did not make this squad and an especial big up to the ones that made the final 18 (River Baldwin, Alli Campbell, Aubrey Griffin, Hannah Gusters, Rickea Jackson, Angel Reese) and did not make the squad. This squad was a juggernaut! I have a sneaking suspicion that one of these cut players is going to take the Haley Jones approach, come back next year and claim a spot on the throne. Oh yea, UCONN just offered Aubrey Griffin-coincidence? Me thinks not.
Agree on all points especially Van Lith and the rankings. On Van Lith, just decide where you want to get to and go! Probably just a bad habit picked up watching her HS teammates run around trying to get open. On the rankings, I'm surprised anyone pays attention to them. The only qualifications you need to be an "evaluator" is a laptop and a lot of free weekends.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I watched every second of the tourney. Here are my completely subjective rankings of the team from best to worst:

1. Horston
2. Jones. Enjoyed watching her bring the ball up against the other team's press.
3. Bueckers. The offense I knew about, the on the ball defense I did not.
4. Fudd.
5. Boston. Moved her up today after her owning of Rupert.
6. Taylor. Really enjoys the defensive end.
7. Cooke. Ohio State would be the perfect fit for this Ohio kid.
8. Belibi. Probably improved more than anybody else. Hands were better than expected.
9. Van Lith. Didn't shoot all that well overall but has a huge upside.
10. Brink. Lack of strength limited her time. She got banged to the floor a lot in her short time in games.
11. Orsborne. This low only because of the talent a head of her.
12. Brunelle. Did not shoot well at all from outside. Will still be valuable to Muffet.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Scoop, I'm going to mess with you man. When you wrote that France was behind by 37 points at 87 to 40, they were actually 47 points behind. Your editor let one slip by. (smile) However, your comments were very informative. Thanks for the information.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I watched every second of the tourney. Here are my completely subjective rankings of the team from best to worst:
1. Horston
2. Jones. Enjoyed watching her bring the ball up against the other team's press.
4. Fudd.
8. Belibi. Probably improved more than anybody else. Hands were better than expected.
10. Brink. Lack of strength limited her time. She got banged to the floor a lot in her short time in games.
12. Brunelle. Did not shoot well at all from outside. Will still be valuable to Muffet.

Just one minor quibble with your rankings, I think you need a dimension of class or age. Azzi Fudd is 15, in two years ( yes she will still be eligible for U17) she could be more dominant in this tournament than Horston was.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Just one minor quibble with your rankings, I think you need a dimension of class or age. Azzi Fudd is 15, in two years ( yes she will still be eligible for U17) she could be more dominated in this tournament than Horston was.
The fact that I have her fourth on a team where she is two years younger than about half the team, is an indication of just how much of a freak I think Fudd is. She led the team in average minutes played!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Went from watching the game to doing the week's shopping. Just got back and read excellent insights and comments from one and all. Some thoughts from walking the aisle and the kitchen table (now):

- Interesting how Fudd and/or Jones would often manage the situation from out front, then Bueckers would do her magic off the weave, almost in a flanking movement. This suits her because she has an ability to see things beyond the corner of her eye and the coordination and touch to get it done. She can easily play combo guard.

- Agree that Belibi has improved in a major way. Some of those bunnies she missed came about -- I believe -- due to where she was when she received the ball (like under the backboard sometimes). Working with a solid post coach will help a lot.

- Horston demonstrated a nice mid-length baseline jumper. So that's not dead and gone from the game. ;)?

- Very solid all-round game from Jones today. Interesting that at the end of day, despite being known as a "guard-oriented" team, the three players who were ostensibly this team's frontcourt all made the all-tourney team.

- After watching most of the games without commentary, the many words coming out of our announcers was a blow to senses. Two thoughts there: let the picture tell a lot of the story; and, if you're going to comment on NCAA coaches or schools, do a bit more homework than "I saw a Texas shirt there" or an "Irish shirt in the front row". If they're going to get us on a 7-day trial, make it seem like the money is worth it. :rolleyes:

On that note, hope the team enjoys a great night of celebrating and has a superb flight home.
Great job to one and all.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Of Horston, Boston & Jones, anyone know anything more about where they are leaning and possibly why?
I hear Jones is accepted to Stanford, so we Cardinal fans are crossing our fingers hoping to get her, but she won't make her decision for a while yet.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I hear Jones is accepted to Stanford, so we Cardinal fans are crossing our fingers hoping to get her, but she won't make her decision for a while yet.

I think the plan is for her to visit Storrs in October.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford? Then she have to beat out Fran Belibi for playing time.
upload_2018-7-29_17-41-40.jpeg

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Scoop, I'm going to mess with you man. When you wrote that France was behind by 37 points at 87 to 40, they were actually 47 points behind. Your editor let one slip by. (smile) However, your comments were very informative. Thanks for the information.

Thanks donaldd. You're right, that one got by my editor. I missed it the 2 times I proof read my comment before pressing send. It has been corrected. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Carla sure looked comfortable coaching elite players. I wonder if she'd consider the UConn job when Geno retires.
There will be quite a list of outstanding coaches with UConn pedigrees that will be up for the HC job in Storrs once the Master steps down.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Went from watching the game to doing the week's shopping. Just got back and read excellent insights and comments from one and all. Some thoughts from walking the aisle and the kitchen table (now):

- Interesting how Fudd and/or Jones would often manage the situation from out front, then Bueckers would do her magic off the weave, almost in a flanking movement. This suits her because she has an ability to see things beyond the corner of her eye and the coordination and touch to get it done. She can easily play combo guard.

- Agree that Belibi has improved in a major way. Some of those bunnies she missed came about -- I believe -- due to where she was when she received the ball (like under the backboard sometimes). Working with a solid post coach will help a lot.

- Horston demonstrated a nice mid-length baseline jumper. So that's not dead and gone from the game. ;)?

- Very solid all-round game from Jones today. Interesting that at the end of day, despite being known as a "guard-oriented" team, the three players who were ostensibly this team's frontcourt all made the all-tourney team.

- After watching most of the games without commentary, the many words coming out of our announcers was a blow to senses. Two thoughts there: let the picture tell a lot of the story; and, if you're going to comment on NCAA coaches or schools, do a bit more homework than "I saw a Texas shirt there" or an "Irish shirt in the front row". If they're going to get us on a 7-day trial, make it seem like the money is worth it. :rolleyes:

On that note, hope the team enjoys a great night of celebrating and has a superb flight home.
Great job to one and all.

Nice post Dillon, thanks.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Carla sure looked comfortable coaching elite players. I wonder if she'd consider the UConn job when Geno retires.
Interested in your opinion UConn about Carla.

1. Any guesses as to why she stayed at Tufts? She has been really successful. Does she want a bigger job?
2. Could she handle the recruiting demands that UConn requires?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not everyone wants to spend as much time flying all over the country recruiting as they spend in the gym actually coaching.

True. Could be Carla doesn't want the life changes that would come with such a high profile job.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not everyone wants to spend as much time flying all over the country recruiting as they spend in the gym actually coaching.
Tufts is a wonderful small school and as you point out D3 basketball is decidedly less intense than D1. Add that Carla was born and raised in CT. She and her wife Meghan are raising a son and daughter. The grass isn’t always greener.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Revisit Storrs:D

Your post raises an interesting point. How often does UConn land a recruit whose only visit is an official in the fall? It happened with ONO last year. I think it happened with Maya. Most UConn commits have visited unofficially, and in some cases multiple visits. Boston has visited a lot, I don't think Horston has, Bueckers, Brink and Van Lith have made unofficial visits.

Reaction Score
Tufts is a wonderful small school and as you point out D3 basketball is decidedly less intense than D1. Add that Carla was born and raised in CT. She and her wife Meghan are raising a son and daughter. The grass isn’t always greener.....
Don’t know if she was born in CT. but she graduated from and won two state titles at Oxford HS in Oxford Mass. My daughter played against her and Kara Wolters when they were teammates on the Central Mass. AAU club.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

1. Horston
4. Fudd.
I agree with most all you've said except about Bueckers defense. If she had to run through a screen or slide over on a pick and roll, too often she'd lose her mark. More often than not the bigs inside would pick her up. No, her game isn't perfect. Fudd on the other hand, the youngest player in the tourney, was far more consistent on defense, plus rarely turned the ball over on offense. That is the reason she played so many minutes. Otherwise you and Coco have the sum of it. Although I'd like to say Horston at the 2 and CW at the one would make me one happy boy. We'll have to wait a few for Fudd, so be verwy, verwy quiet.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom