Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Finally the coach puts Sykes in. :mad:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA leads 51-49 after 3 quarters.

USA has no answer for Carla Cortijo for Puerto Rico. She used to play for Texas.

Puerto Rico playing great team basketball and USA looks like a team that was just formed. Puerto Rico is scoring at will on their drives to the basket

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Wow, very anti-USA crowd in Mexico (not to mention the refs)!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA loses Again 75-70

Team is going up against some pro players, but still this is Puerto Rico they were playing. No answer for Puerto Rico's guards and too many turnovers. As I said in an earlier post Puerto Rico scored at will on dribble drives to the basket. Either making the shot or getting fouled. Poor Team and individual defense.

I criticized the U19 team, but that team could have beaten this Puerto Rico team.

Pan Am games at a bad time due to HS and College's in session which prevented many of the USA top HS or Collegiate players participating. Wonder if Team USA sought out any pro players.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
USA ----------------- PR

18/23 FT ------------21/28
23/61 FG [37.7%] -----25/68 [36.8%]
44 rebounds --------- 28
19 turnovers -------- 11
8 assists ------------- 11

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Breanna is incredibly mobile for a player of her height!

She will be deadly playing alongside a true post in the lane who can eat up space (a la Stef as an upperclassman)

BStewart can really move to a gap quickly and clean up caroms and misses..... instead of Baby Husky, she reminds me more of Tigger, with feet made out of rubber :eek: or flubber....

Reaction Score
How did Breanna do? Stats? I couldn't watch the live stream, since I'm currently in Europe.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well the USA is going nowhere fast in the games. may not even make it out of the preliminary rounds, but not sure how that works. still, good experience for BS!

Reaction Score
My understanding is that the top two teams from each group
advance to the semi finals.

So regardless of how we do against Mexico, we are going home,
and Mexico will advance to the semis along with the winner of
the Puerto Rico v. Argentina game.

In the Puerto Rico game Breanna again led the team with 14
points and tied for the team lead in rebounds with 11. Her
performance has been remarkable, but I'm guessing that she
has been going up against players who are significantly shorter
than she is.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Would be kinda nice to get in the 'win' column at least once before heading home.....
noidea.gif

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

than she is.

Why do you guess that? This is the second time I'm seen this assumption. I'm pretty sure that our neighbors to the south can grow to 6 '2" and more.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Why do you guess that? This is the second time I'm seen this assumption. I'm pretty sure that our neighbors to the south can grow to 6 '2" and more.
I saw the second half thanks to the posted link above. One of the resons she gets so many boards is that she is extremely mobile, always moving and agressively goes to the rim when shots go up. And like Kelly, seems to have a nose for the ball. The height and long arms helps of course but the magic is in the package.

What really impressed me is her court mobilty. She moves and plays like a sub 6 footer. Fun fun fun to watch.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I saw the second half thanks to the posted link above. One of the resons she gets so many boards is that she is extremely mobile, always moving and agressively goes to the rim when shots go up. And like Kelly, seems to have a nose for the ball. The height and long arms helps of course but the magic is in the package.

What really impressed me is her court mobilty. She moves and plays like a sub 6 footer. Fun fun fiun to watch.
So she was or wasn't playing against midgets?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't remember if it was Puerto Rico or the first game but one of the two teams supposedly had noone taller than 6'.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

than she is.
Significantly shorter than her reach is more likely.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I was the one who posted that no Argentina player is taller than 6'0". (If you click on a player's name in the boxscore it will give you her height.) I mentioned that information as a possible explanation for why Sykes didn't play against Argentina. Sykes lacks foot-speed and I thought the perimeter players for Argentina would have been tough for her to guard.

Here's the boxscore for the game last night against PR which did have players taller than 6'0".
http://info.guadalajara2011.org.mx/ENG/BK/BKR173A_BKW40040090100003ENG.htm

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

What really impressed me is her court mobilty. She moves and plays like a sub 6 footer. Fun fun fun to watch.

Stewart is terrific. Like you said, she's always moving and doesn't give up on plays. We're going to see her run down some fast breaks and block shots from behind. The game looked to be very physical. Breanna will need to get stronger but the UConn S&C program will help her with that. The talent, quickness, desire and motor are all there. The long arms help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom