US Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US Team

Reaction Score
To be fair, Brink and Van Lith have been doing 3 x 3 for a couple years now. It shouldn't be a surprise they were chosen considering how they've performed. Not to mention Plum was 3 x 3 for Tokyo before being considered for the 5x5.

The comment about the concern about backlash is interesting. It's also unfortunate as fans because the Olympics and FIBA rules are different for NCAAW or WNBA. I also wonder how fans would react when exposed to FIBA rules as they allow more contact.
For 3 x 3, the Olympic team needs to consist of 2 players ranked in the top 10 for their country. For the USA the top 10 are:
1. Arica Carter
2. Camille Zimmerman
3. Cierra Burdick
4. Blake Dietrick
5. Hailey Van Lith
6. Linnae Harper
7. Madison Teonie Christiana Scott
8. Azana Nahimana Baines
9. Caroline Littlefield
10. Lucy Anne Olsen
Given this list, and that Van Lith does seem to do well in 3x3, it doesn't seem super controversial that Van Lith makes the team over those 8 other players. The remaining 2 players (Brink and Howard) were selected from the pool of the other players ranked in the top 50.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Absolutely LOVE that Diana is on the team. Not only is she deserving, but it's a tremendous honor awarded to someone who has given everything she had EVERY time USA basketball called. She's been on every world championship team, and every Olympic team she's been available for. She never shirked her duty to Team USA (like others in the past and who were rightfully left OFF the teams).

Dee is a tremendous leader and has represented with grace and class for many years. Regardless of whether or not she starts, and no matter how many minutes she gets, this is her swan song. To leave her off the team would have been disgraceful. Just like Catchings' last run with Team USA - she was basically the 12th player in the depth chart, but her last go-round inclusion meant someone else was left off, and I thought it was terrific she was on the team.

People who can't see that are just bitter. Bottom line, I LOVE that Dee's on the team, and couldn't give a crap about all the hysteria by other fans who think she's undeserving. LOVE IT! Go Diana! Go Team USA!

BTW where's all the hysteria of including Griner? She's barely back in the W, is barely producing, yet she's the only "true" center on the team. She's played what - 1 game in the W? Scored 11 points? Where's the crying and gnashing of teeth over her inclusion? I love that she's on the team as well. So deserving - just like Dee. She's the GOAT for many reasons, and hopefully a 6th gold will just enshrine her legacy even further.

Team USA is an awesome mix of old and new, big and small, quick and talented. Can't wait to watch them!

Reaction Score
Accuse me of cherry picking stats, Geew1992, but DT is shooting 37 percent this season, with all of 1.1 assists per game. Although I haven't seen all of the Mercury's games, last I saw, she's playing even less defense than she did in recent years, when she played virtually no D.

I respect what Diana did for the Huskies and throughout much of her WNBA career but, my gosh, the USA does not need her for leadership. The rest of the team abounds with leadership.
And for as great as DT has been as a basketball player, and she is one of the greatest. She has won 1 Title playing with Griner in 2014.
That is the last time She won in the WNBA.
And some of those teams had Bonner, Breland, and Penny Taylor.

Reaction Score
Leaving Brionna Jones off, is a disgrace, after she was on the last World Cup team.
5 front court players and 7 guards.
DT should gracefully decline her spot, and give it to Jones who deserves to be on the team.
The 2022 World Cup squad dominated.

8 Players Retained: Gray, Plum, Ionescu, Loyd, Copper, Thomas, Stewart & Wilson

4 Changes:
Out: Atkins, Laney, Jones & Austin
In: Taurasi, Young, Collier & Griner

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Or how about her attitude on the court!?
I'm not sure who/what you're referring to, here, @Geew1992 . My last reference to a player was Alisha Gray. Are you asking if her attittude on the court had something to do with her not being chosen? (I wasn't aware she had one and I just watched her entire game against Chicago, where she chased Marina Mabrey around for 40 minutes, no questions asked.)

Thanks for clarifying and then I can respond (if need be) accordingly.

Reaction Score
Absolutely LOVE that Diana is on the team. Not only is she deserving, but it's a tremendous honor awarded to someone who has given everything she had EVERY time USA basketball called. She's been on every world championship team, and every Olympic team she's been available for. She never shirked her duty to Team USA (like others in the past and who were rightfully left OFF the teams).

Dee is a tremendous leader and has represented with grace and class for many years. Regardless of whether or not she starts, and no matter how many minutes she gets, this is her swan song. To leave her off the team would have been disgraceful. Just like Catchings' last run with Team USA - she was basically the 12th player in the depth chart, but her last go-round inclusion meant someone else was left off, and I thought it was terrific she was on the team.

People who can't see that are just bitter. Bottom line, I LOVE that Dee's on the team, and couldn't give a crap about all the hysteria by other fans who think she's undeserving. LOVE IT! Go Diana! Go Team USA!

BTW where's all the hysteria of including Griner? She's barely back in the W, is barely producing, yet she's the only "true" center on the team. She's played what - 1 game in the W? Scored 11 points? Where's the crying and gnashing of teeth over her inclusion? I love that she's on the team as well. So deserving - just like Dee. She's the GOAT for many reasons, and hopefully a 6th gold will just enshrine her legacy even further.

Team USA is an awesome mix of old and new, big and small, quick and talented. Can't wait to watch them!
Not bitter at all, EricLA, and among the many things one could say about what DT brings to the game these days, 'grace and class' aren't among them.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
For 3 x 3, the Olympic team needs to consist of 2 players ranked in the top 10 for their country. For the USA the top 10 are:
1. Arica Carter
2. Camille Zimmerman
3. Cierra Burdick
4. Blake Dietrick
5. Hailey Van Lith
6. Linnae Harper
8. Azana Nahimana Baines
9. Caroline Littlefield
10. Lucy Anne Olsen
Given this list, and that Van Lith does seem to do well in 3x3, it doesn't seem super controversial that Van Lith makes the team over those 8 other players. The remaining 2 players (Brink and Howard) were selected from the pool of the other players ranked in the top 50.
Thanks for this. It helps me, as well as a give-and-take I've had with @cancontent on said subject in that it explains to me why both Hailey Van Lith and Burdick were chosen (they kinda had to be). So, if I have/had any gripes with the construction of the U.S.A. 3x3 roster construction, it would have to do with who played earlier in order to get ranked? (And the obvious retort is these players volunteered and were available.)

Is there such a thing for 5x5 roster construction?

Reaction Score
All this unfair DT bashing and CC bickering would tone down if members really listen to the selection committee’s reasoning:

The Athletic Article: “That the committee decided to go this route isn’t a total surprise. It is a reflection of some past precedent. “That chemistry really speeds up the learning curve and the process,” committee member Seimone Augustus recently told The Athletic.”

It has been fairly obvious that due to the limited preparation time, historically the selection committees have valued existing instinctive chemistry among those who are currently performing well and satisfy a positional need.

The 2024, 2020, 2016 women’s Olympic basketball team selections have fit this pattern.

2024: #1
  • Chelsea, Kelsey, Jackie, A’ja (LV Aces)
  • Diana, Kahleah, Britney (Phoenix Mercury)
  • Sabrina, Breanna (NY Liberty)
  • Jewell [with Breanna]
  • Napheesa [with Breanna and coach Cheryl Reeve]
  • A. Thomas (First Year Olympian) #2
#1 Sue, SDS, Atkins, Charles and Fowles were replaced.
#2 Apparently, the selection committee deemed the duo of Clark and Boston as not deserving of 2 roster spots this year.

2020: #3
  • Sue, Jewel, Breanna (Seattle Storm)
  • Diana, SDS, Britney (Phoenix Mercury)
  • Chelsea, A’ja (LV Aces)
  • Atkins, Charles (Washington Mystics)
  • Sylvia (4th Olympics)
  • Napheesa (Breanna’s UConn teammate)
#3 Lindsay, Seimone, Maya, McCaughtry, Catchings, Delle Donne were replaced.

2016: #4
  • Lindsay, Seimone, Maya#6, Sylvia (Minnesota Lynx)
  • Sue#6, Breanna#6 (Seattle Storm)
  • Diana#6, Britney (Phoenix Mercury)
  • Tina#6 (Maya#6 and coach Geno)
  • McCaughtry (2nd Olympics)
  • Catchings (Fourth Olympics with Sue and Diana)
  • Delle Donne (1st Olympics) #5
#4 Swin, Ashja and Candace were replaced.
#5 Delle Donne is the only unaffiliated player. She is the 5th post (assuming Maya is a G/W) and arguably the last roster spot.
#6 Coached in college by Geno.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Leaving Brionna Jones off, is a disgrace, after she was on the last World Cup team.
DT should gracefully decline her spot, and give it to Jones who deserves to be on the team.

Is Brionna on a minutes restriction? Yes, she was very good in the World Cup.

Does Bonner have experience with team USA?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DT is hurting her own legacy by being on the team. She hasn't been good for a number of years.
I respect someone like Sue who knew it was time to go and left.
I have lost a lot of respect for DT, for hanging on just for a payday.
The truly great ones know when it's time to leave.
I can't imagine DT hanging on just for a payday. She just loves the game. Nothing wrong with that. And I don't think she's hurting her legacy at all.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
1. Arica Carter
2. Camille Zimmerman
3. Cierra Burdick
4. Blake Dietrick
5. Hailey Van Lith
6. Linnae Harper
8. Azana Nahimana Baines
9. Caroline Littlefield
10. Lucy Anne Olsen

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of the requirement or the ranking. I also don't know a few players on the list.

I'm ok with the 5 x 5 roster. There are a few players who may have been better options, but I'm not sure whom I would drop. Diana is controversial, even here, but she has the experience and leadership and has always made herself available for USAB. Though her behavior in the W is sometimes questionable, she has been a model citizen when playing for USAB.

I'm surprised at the 3 x 3 roster, but wasn't aware of the rules. I see Howard as a good option and Brink as a possibility, if she can avoid fouls. But how good is Burdick? How good was she at her peak? Hailey Van Lith has had some success in the younger age groups, but I don't see her ball handling, shooting, or rebounding to be good enough at this level. I think Allisha Gray would have been a good choice, and maybe even Katie Lou Samuelson (who earned a spot for Tokyo and made key shots for USA in the most recent competition).

Reaction Score
Team USA and whoever put this team together are getting roasted on a lot of these social media platforms. I have not seen this much fire since the whole Candace Parker Olympic mess. The next few days are going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Reaction Score
I'm not sure who/what you're referring to, here, @Geew1992 . My last reference to a player was Alisha Gray. Are you asking if her attittude on the court had something to do with her not being chosen? (I wasn't aware she had one and I just watched her entire game against Chicago, where she chased Marina Mabrey around for 40 minutes, no questions asked.)

Thanks for clarifying and then I can respond (if need be) accordingly.

My bad. I was adding to your reason about Clark not being added.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. It helps me, as well as a give-and-take I've had with @cancontent on said subject in that it explains to me why both Hailey Van Lith and Burdick were chosen (they kinda had to be). So, if I have/had any gripes with the construction of the U.S.A. 3x3 roster construction, it would have to do with who played earlier in order to get ranked? (And the obvious retort is these players volunteered and were available.)

Is there such a thing for 5x5 roster construction?
I agree, how did USA basketball let the 3x3 ranking list get like that? The 5x5 roster seems OK to me. I am scared to even bring it up here, but I think Katie Lou Samuelson was eligible as a top 50 player. So KLS misses Tokyo with COVID, has a baby, returns to the WNBA, was doing OK, and then loses out here, where is seems like the top 10 wasn't managed very well. A few tough breaks there for KLS.

Reaction Score
From the FIBA site, individual rankings are based on results from events in the last 12 months. The FIBA women's series has stops in places like Baku and Ulaan Bataar. Maybe USA Bball can subsidize team winnings, but notable players would rather go with guaranteed (and more lucrative) contracts with pro 5x5 teams, I would think.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
From the FIBA site, individual rankings are based on results from events in the last 12 months. The FIBA women's series has stops in places like Baku and Ulaan Bataar. Maybe USA Bball can subsidize team winnings, but notable players would rather go with guaranteed (and more lucrative) contracts with pro 5x5 teams, I would think.
Bryce Harper channels English footballers as he celebrates in London: ‘It was iconic’
@Moose
"I agree, how did USA basketball let the 3x3 ranking list get like that? The 5x5 roster seems OK to me. I am scared to even bring it up here, but I think Katie Lou Samuelson was eligible as a top 50 player. So KLS misses Tokyo with COVID, has a baby, returns to the WNBA, was doing OK, and then loses out here, where is seems like the top 10 wasn't managed very well. A few tough breaks there for KLS."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to both of you for continuing the conversation on circumstance that could've led to how the U.S.A. 3x3 team was formed.
With each addition on this subject, I'm reminded that 3x3 competitions were very much driven from the ground up and sometimes those grounds were in interesting places, such as the "stans" or Mongolia, as well as France and the U.S.

So, to some degree, it's not surprising seeing NCAA backgrounds (Brink, Hailey Van Lith) or players who are in/out of the WNBA (Burdick, Harper, Dietrick, etc.) populate the team, along with some WNBAers, such as KLS, Alisha Gray, Stef Dolson and, now, Rhyne Howard.
Is this modus operandi good enough for the U.S. to send as representative a team to the 3x3 as it does to the 5x5? Probably not. But can it win gold? Medal? It won in 2021 in Tokyo, so let's see if it holds up in Paris. (Mind you, competition is what I'm studying...).

It there are issues, U.S.A. Basketball might want to brainstorm on creative ways of a feeder pool that works. Or does the overall system need some tweaking (of course, the U.S. needs to be cognizant of not looking like Big Sister not trying to change the rules here...).

Interesting learning sessions....thanks! Welcome further thought...although maybe we should move it to the 3x3 area for when the Games begin. ;)

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Not a popular opinion, but I don't believe Griner should be representing the US. She's a convicted felon. Doesn't matter to me one bit that it was Russia.

Clark will have her day, but she hasn't earned a spot on the team, yet.

Reaction Score
Does DT have grace in her character?

Hear me out.

DT is the GOAT. In many ways I can see similarities between her approach to the game and that of Pete Rose equally great. Both are relentless in their approach and their competitive fire in game. Rose's teammates commented how he approached almost every game regardless of fate as if it was the seventh game of the world series.

Intensity, fire, a maniacal intense approach bordering on hatred toward the opponent.

Even at 42 you can see DT as she was 20 years ago exhibiting the same.

I'm not sure one would find a great deal of grace among the greatest athletes of all time. Jordan, Wood, Cobb, Bradshaw, Rose, Taurasi....

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not a popular opinion, but I don't believe Griner should be representing the US. She's a convicted felon. Doesn't matter to me one bit that it was Russia.

I agree with this.

As to all the "social media" posters, seems a lot is just "she should be on the team because she is so popular. She will bring in fans and more viewers."

Well as has been said, Clark's turn will come, but not this Olympics. Deal with it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Um... for carrying vape cartridges with hash oil in her bags? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not bitter at all, EricLA, and among the many things one could say about what DT brings to the game these days, 'grace and class' aren't among them.
What I said... "Dee is a tremendous leader and has represented with grace and class for many years" - I was referencing her go-round with Team USA. I will totally agree that she's spicy in the WNBA. But Team USA - yeah. I stand by what I said, and that's what i meant.

I would totally understand if people were to say "there are players who are currently performing better in the W, and I wish Dee had stepped aside for them", but the vitriol with which many are going bonkers with (not you) over her inclusion is comical. Again, where was the outrage when Catchings was put on the team for her last go-round? Where is the hysteria over Griner being named to the team?

It seems to me that Dee is a polarizing player - some love her, some hate her, almost no one is in-between. Your posts certainly have not been over the top. But there are some in here that are.

Reaction Score
Visit a nation hostile to gays and the US, and don't be surprised what happens.
Visit? She had to work in that nation because her own country values women’s sport so little you have to play internationally in the off season. We are lucky Griner chose to represent the US again after how she was treated before she left and after her return.

Reaction Score

Hear me out.

DT is the GOAT. In many ways I can see similarities between her approach to the game and that of Pete Rose equally great. Both are relentless in their approach and their competitive fire in game. Rose's teammates commented how he approached almost every game regardless of fate as if it was the seventh game of the world series.

Intensity, fire, a maniacal intense approach bordering on hatred toward the opponent.

I'm not sure one would find a great deal of grace among the greatest athletes of all time. Jordan, Wood, Cobb, Bradshaw, Rose, Taurasi....
The Iron Horse, Lou was a winner, and had grace.

Reaction Score
How has DT earned her spot, temery, other than having been named to five previous Olympic teams, the first being when she was the same age that Clark is now? Check out Taurasi's rookie season... she scored about what Caitlin is scoring and had far fewer rebounds or assists, probably playing with much less scrutiny and under less defensive pressure... and even then, DT wasn't an especially effective defender.

I'm not arguing Caitlin should be on the team, just that Diana should not be... even Huskies fan should be able to acknowledge the reality that DT is nowhere near one of America's best 12 players. To give her a sixth Olympics spot is not how the U.S. should be building its team.

Hear me out.

I'm with you about your post, azfan, and your list of those all-timers (except, sorta Bradshaw).

However, I could draw up names of other all-time greats who have been classy and graceful throughout their careers, including Nicklaus, Aaron, Abdul-Jabbar, Gretzky, Federer... an athlete can have fire in her or his belly and still carry oneself with grace. How about our own Sue Bird and Maya Moore?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom