US Team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

US Team

Reaction Score
It's not hard to find. The USA 3X3 process isn't much different than the 5x5 one. The selection committee doesn't make their decisions arbitrarily.
I'm sorry, but selecting Van Lith over all the others available in this country had to be an arbitrary decision (meaning in this case: an unreasonable act). I have absolutely nothing against her, but c'mon now.

Oh, by the way, I knew where to find the information and was being kind when I thanked you for it. I was simply testing you because of your previous statement. I wanted to make sure you knew where to find it. Please have a nice day, no offense was intended.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but selecting Van Lith over all the others available in this country had to be an arbitrary decision (meaning in this case: an unreasonable act). I have absolutely nothing against her, but c'mon now.

Oh, by the way, I knew where to find the information and was being kind when I thanked you for it. I was simply testing you because of your previous statement. I wanted to make sure you knew where to find it. Please have a nice day, no offense was intended.

But it wasn't, which had been explained earlier if you had chosen to go over the prior discussion in this thread. USA BBall is constrained by the selection and eligibility criteria set by the sanctioning body, FIBA.
Ergo, to be eligible, players have to be ranked. To be ranked, they have to play in enough sanctioned tournaments over the past year. If the player is good enough to play in the W or in Euroleague or reach the NCAA finals, chances are they won't have time to go to China or wherever these events are held. They can't be chosen for the Olympics and USA BBall gets blamed, ok...

Reaction Score
But it wasn't, which had been explained earlier if you had chosen to go over the prior discussion in this thread. USA BBall is constrained by the selection and eligibility criteria set by the sanctioning body, FIBA.
Ergo, to be eligible, players have to be ranked. To be ranked, they have to play in enough sanctioned tournaments over the past year. If the player is good enough to play in the W or in Euroleague or reach the NCAA finals, chances are they won't have time to go to China or wherever these events are held. They can't be chosen for the Olympics and USA BBall gets blamed, ok...
You are undoubtedly correct, I just don't recall the team for the Tokyo Olympics being selected in this manner. The four (Stefanie Dolson, Allisha Gray, Kelsey Plum and Jackie Young (a replacement for Katie Lou Samuelson due to COVID)) my recollection is they were selected based on them being WNBA members and nothing else.

All the talk about Caitlin Clark not being selected to the USA 5x5 team is because at this point she hasn't proven to be better than the 12 selected. What she's done for women's basketball counts for nothing. So, it doesn't set well with me that Van Lith is selected to represent this country when she clearly is not anywhere close to being the best. Enough said on the subject, I'm moving on.

Reaction Score
You are undoubtedly correct, I just don't recall the team for the Tokyo Olympics being selected in this manner. The four (Stefanie Dolson, Allisha Gray, Kelsey Plum and Jackie Young (a replacement for Katie Lou Samuelson due to COVID)) my recollection is they were selected based on them being WNBA members and nothing else.

All the talk about Caitlin Clark not being selected to the USA 5x5 team is because at this point she hasn't proven to be better than the 12 selected. What she's done for women's basketball counts for nothing. So, it doesn't set well with me that Van Lith is selected to represent this country when she clearly is not anywhere close to being the best. Enough said on the subject, I'm moving on.
Your recollection is incorrect. The point/ranking system was in effect for Tokyo. According to the FIBA site, ranking started in 2018.

Reaction Score

This whole system for 3x3 is set up to try and give other countries a chance to win by limiting which Americans can participate. Caitlyn chose not to do 3x3 competitions and Hailey chose to do them. Caitlyn and other players made that choice, so they will get to watch from home.

3x3 is hard and exhausting...there are a lot of players who would never do it.

Reaction Score
Your recollection is incorrect. The point/ranking system was in effect for Tokyo. According to the FIBA site, ranking started in 2018.
That doesn't actually dispute what I've said. Where does it provide the so-called qualifying "points standings" of the four Tokyo Olympic team members selected? The four (Stefanie Dolson, Allisha Gray, Kelsey Plum and Katie Lou Samuelson) simply played in the qualifying tournament together. Samuelson was later replaced by Jackie Young (point standings also missing for her). I'd like to see the points tally of these five players, can you provide that?

Reaction Score
That doesn't actually dispute what I've said. Where does it provide the so-called qualifying "points standings" of the four Tokyo Olympic team members selected? The four (Stefanie Dolson, Allisha Gray, Kelsey Plum and Katie Lou Samuelson) simply played in the qualifying tournament together. Samuelson was later replaced by Jackie Young (point standings also missing for her). I'd like to see the points tally of these five players, can you provide that?
I have noticed that you haven't posted any links to support your opinions while asking others to do so. Why is that?

Reaction Score
So even though FIBA says they have had rankings since 2018, you think it is a ruse and need proof of the rankings? Lol, every country in the world would be quick to disqualify us. Only 2 players have to be in the top 10 for your country. Other 2 in the top 50 or a min number of points. The 5 players played tourneys here and there to qualify in 2020. I'm not wasting my time going down a rabbit hole to find 2020 info about something that is obviously true.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's a very easy statement to make, but you don't know what the next 4-years holds for Caitlin Clark, yourself or for anyone. Although I certainly understand all the presented reasons why CC was not selected. No one on the present team has done more for Women's Basketball as a hole than Caitlin Clark! A chance to represent your Country playing the game you love and have given pretty much your life to is a reward few receive and will cherish the rest of lives. I still believe CC will be put on this team because there are a couple of players with significant injuries and probably won't be able to participate. The fan uproar at leaving Clark off this team will hopefully turn that tide.

UPDATE: Hmm, what could I have possibly said above to earn an angry icon???

Specifically your two statements:

"No one on the present team has done more for Women's Basketball as a hole than Caitlin Clark!"

I think that is very disrespectful to a lot of players. While Clark is very good, and I think will be an All-Star/Olympian over time, right now as the WBB savior, she is kind of right place, right time. (and being white doesn't hurt - shouldn't matter, but it does). DT has helped the WNT win 5 Gold Medals. Clark hasn't even practiced with them yet. And this isn't about WBB, it's about the USA WNT/Olympic team winning a gold medal.

If "WBB fans" (and I use that term extremely loosely, because they are NOT, they are just Clark fans) was what the Olympic was about (gaining WBB fans), then just put Taylor Swift on the team, or have her date one of the players. You'd get a lot more eyes that way.

"The fan uproar at leaving Clark off this team will hopefully turn that tide."

Extremely wrong. I do hope fan uproar is NEVER a deciding factor on who makes a USA Olympic team. THAT is RIDICULOUS. (ok, so maybe there was a little "angry" in there )

(nothing personally, just your statements. Hope that answers your question. )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

1). How is chosing Van Lith arbitrary considering her background and success at 3x3?

2). Testing to see if I knew what I was talking about? That's rich especially considering the tone of your reply to me.

Reaction Score
I have noticed that you haven't posted any links to support your opinions while asking others to do so. Why is that?
Maybe because I do not believe there are any such posts.

Reaction Score
1). How is chosing Van Lith arbitrary considering her background and success at 3x3?

2). Testing to see if I knew what I was talking about? That's rich especially considering the tone of your reply to me.
re: #2 - I was joking! Hey, relax, I meant nothing personal and sorry if I have offended you.

re #1 - Van Lith simply doesn't belong on this team. She isn't good enough and there are so many better than her.

Reaction Score
re: #2 - I was joking! Hey, relax, I meant nothing personal and sorry if I have offended you.

re #1 - Van Lith simply doesn't belong on this team. She isn't good enough and there are so many better than her.
I'm not much of an Hailey Van Lith fan but she absolutely deserves her spot. For one she's paid her dues in 3x3 and has reached a top 10 USA ranking in 3x3 that is a requirement for being selected. Then you add to it that Hailey Van Lith was on the 3x3 gold medal world cup team, it's hard to argue that she doesn't belong after all she's done to get to this point.

Reaction Score
Hailey and Cierra have made the history of 3x3 so far. Hailey made it with the Junior National Team, Cierra made it as a senior

Reaction Score
They are not NAMES not with the recognition system but they are true values to their team

Reaction Score
DT IMHO has earned the chance to perform in her last Olympics as a loyal and dedicated to USA Basketball over these 20+ years!
Yes she is not the player she once was but she brings the wisdom of experience in every possible situation to the team chemistry!
She can advise and consent all that the other 11 members of this team need to prepare for the competition! She will be a steady influence in practices and game situations!
The goal of the Olympics is not to be politically correct but to win and this group gives the USA team the best chance to achieve that goal!
She will ride off into the sunset with her 6th Goal Medal and another qualified player will take her place in the future!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom