US Open Women's Final | The Boneyard

US Open Women's Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Ugh- Serena is beating herself in this second set after playing transcendent tennis in the first.

She better get it together here. There is no reason Azarenka should be pressing her, world #1 or not.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Serena wins this match, remember that love service game at 1-5 in the second. Sure, she probably loses the second set, but a) she makes Azarenka serve it out, b) gets the first serve in the third set if Azarenka does, and c) seemed to find her rhythm a bit there. A good service game was all she needed to snap back out of it against Radwanksa at Wimbledon. Though Azarenka is better than Radwanska.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Still too many unforced errors by Serena, Should have already won the break.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wow. Level of play has really improved in this third set. Incredible tennis.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Wow. Level of play has really improved in this third set. Incredible tennis.
Spoke too soon. After going up 3-2 (on serve), Serena played two absolute garbage games, the first on Azarenka's serve, and the second on her own. Azarenka has a break again, up 4-3 in the final set.

I cannot believe Serena is choking like this. Her legacy is on the line, and she has two opportunities to break back. If she doesn't, she will rue this loss worse than any other in her career, I'd bet.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
How many freaking balls can Serena dump into the net? She went into this match with no Plan B. I can promise you Steffi, Martina, or Chrissie always had a Plan B. That's why I say that Serena's best tennis is better than anyone who's ever played, but she needs some more career accomplishments before I'm willing to call her the best ever.

5-3 Azarenka now.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
How many freaking balls can Serena dump into the net? She went into this match with no Plan B. I can promise you Steffi, Martina, or Chrissie always had a Plan B. That's why I say that Serena's best tennis is better than anyone who's ever played, but she needs some more career accomplishments before I'm willing to call her the best ever.

5-3 Azarenka now.

who's serving???

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And how can Serena be tired??? She hasn't broken a sweat this entire tournament.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Spoke too soon. After going up 3-2 (on serve), Serena played two absolute garbage games, the first on Azarenka's serve, and the second on her own. Azarenka has a break again, up 4-3 in the final set.

I cannot believe Serena is choking like this. Her legacy is on the line, and she has two opportunities to break back. If she doesn't, she will rue this loss worse than any other in her career, I'd bet.
Must be because Azarenka just wants it more... :confused:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Serena holds for 6-5.

The championship will be decided one way or another after this break. Either Serena breaks to win 7-5, or we go to a deciding-set tiebreak, something I wish the other majors would do.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Serena holds for 6-5.

The championship will be decided one way or another after this break. Either Serena breaks to win 7-5, or we go to a deciding-set tiebreak, something I wish the other majors would do.

Yes !!!!!!!!! Go Serena !!!!!!!! I'm at dinner and can't watch lol

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Azarenka is crushed. I hope this propels her to become just a touch tougher mentally and close better against top opponents. She had this tournament on her racket but got a bit tight, while Serena did just enough to keep pressuring her.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Serena wins!!!! OMG!!!

Monumental !!!!!!! Did she really grab it and take it or how much did Vika choke (if at all) ??

So awesome !!!!!! Bet she is dancing now!!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I guess her legacy is secure now.:rolleyes:
No actually it's not. Not if she wants to be considered better than Martina or Steffi. She played an inferior match in a championship round against a game opponent but not one who should have pushed Serena to the limit.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Didn't think it was Serena's day, she played so poorly in comparison to how she played the rest of the tournament. Azarenka kept putting pressure on Serena and caused so many unforced errors. But then when it counted Serena wins the last 4 games to win the last set 7 - 5. Tough loss for Azarenka.

Compared to many of the other greats, Sarena has had so many injuries, yet still is able to win Majors after the age of 30.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Monumental !!!!!!! Did she really grab it and take it or how much did Vika choke (if at all) ??

So awesome !!!!!! Bet she is dancing now!!!!
She applied just enough pressure, and Azarenka got just a little bit tighter. Azarenka started trying to hit harder than she had been instead of doing what got her to that point, which was to get as many balls back as possible with depth and let Serena beat herself. I wouldn't say Serena turned it on- just hit a couple fewer errors per game. And she had one incredible winner in the last game to get to 30-30.

Reaction Score
For Serena to win 4 straight games while looking in the face of defeat is incredible. I can't say I've seen Graff, Seles, etc. play because they were before my time. But I have grown up watching Serena play tennis. So for me she's the pinnacle of women's tennis in this generation, with her sister being right up there with her. Other current players have shown flashes but for Serena to still be dominating after all these years and at the age of 30 is amazing.

Reaction Score
No actually it's not. Not if she wants to be considered better than Martina or Steffi. She played an inferior match in a championship round against a game opponent but not one who should have pushed Serena to the limit.

Serena played the world's #1 ranked player. Give Azarenka some credit. You don't earn that spot without winning a few games here or there.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Serena played the world's #1 ranked player. Give Azarenka some credit. You don't earn that spot without winning a few games here or there.
Azarenka is a more deserving #1 than some who've reached that ranking recently, but the ranking system is jacked up enough that I don't take too much stock in it. Serena has dominated Azarenka head-to-head, including absolutely embarrassing her in the Olympics. On this day, she didn't serve well and hit more errors than she usually does. Some of that absolutely had to do with the amount of pressure Azarenka applied, but some of it was just poor play.

By winning, she gets to #15 in terms of major titles, which is one more step closer to GOAT. But in order to be considered thusly on a consensus basis, she will need to match the career accomplishments of the women she's trying to pass or simply be more dominant. Today was one step closer to doing the former, but not the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom