US News Top Public University rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US News Top Public University rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will say it because no one else will.

I recommend to the board that the powers that be get rid of the football board and create a uconn academics board. Seems to be where Susan has us going and a reflection of threads lately.

If we are going to do this we have to do this right. Can we gamble on UConn academics?

What is the money line on obtaining AAU status?

What is the over/under on years accepted to AAU?

Prop bets for next year rankings, etc.

I can't believe how much other-than-sports-topics conference realignment has led this board to talk about. I know you are just being angry, but it's funny how much our interest in college football has led to interest in AAU, research grants, academic rankings, media markets, population trends, television contracts, Internet media platforms, and other things I never thought I would want to even consider talking about.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If anyone is interested in what Uconn's ranking is in either one field or a particular discipline (or in comparison to B1g schools), let me know. Easy to check, 10 seconds, with excel.

Don't know how specific you need to be but I'd be interested in:

Engineering
Physics (or Physical Sciences)
Business
Bioscience
Computer Sciences
Mathematics

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Don't know how specific you need to be but I'd be interested in:

Engineering
Physics (or Physical Sciences)
Business
Bioscience
Computer Sciences
Mathematics

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, I should have asked for a specific discipline and not just the degree program, so I'll give you the ranking by discipline.

Bio & Health:
Molecular Biology and Biochem: 76
Cell Biology: 31
Genetics: 33
Immunology: 34
Kinesiology: 1
Neuroscience: 57

Engine(r)ring:
Biomedical: 34
Chemical: 21
Environment: 36
Electrical: 35
Materials: 23
Polymer: 29
Mechanical: 41

Sciences:
Chemistry: 76
Computers: 27
Math: 75
Physics: 69

Business isn't ranked since these are not professional school rankings but research rankings. For professional schools, there might be other rankings out there.

One thing I notice about UConn is that though it does very well in the programs that it does have, there is not much breadth as a research institution. It more resembles a school like Georgia tech than any of the B1G schools, and the new buildout will focus on engineering mostly, so that is not going to changes. When you have only 11 Humanities, Arts and Science programs, that's pretty limited. I suppose this is because of UConn's late start, and by the time it came around to building out the graduate school, it decided to devote resources to engineering and health rather than Humanities/Sciences.

Reaction Score
I'm fired up! (CUT AND PASTE: Both grad and undergrad rankings are a joke. If you want to know what schools are thinking, have a look at the national foundations rankings. They're available.)

I tend to go with NSF as others, maybe even you, pointed out on here. I merely countered the OP with the other US News Rankings - Graduate School. I just don't think US News Undergraduate Rankings mean as much to the BIG as some may think. Again, the BIG genuinely puts more emphasis on flagship schools and graduate schools & research. UConn certainly meets half the criteria and the research end looks pretty bright for y'all as well. Time & patience will tell us more. I've been pretty clear on my endorsement for UConn to the BIG since joining this board.

Reaction Score
I tend to go with NSF as others, maybe even you, pointed out on here. I merely countered the OP with the other US News Rankings - Graduate School. I just don't think US News Undergraduate Rankings mean as much to the BIG as some may think. Again, the BIG genuinely puts more emphasis on flagship schools and graduate schools & research. UConn certainly meets half the criteria and the research end looks pretty bright for y'all as well. Time & patience will tell us more. I've been pretty clear on my endorsement for UConn to the BIG since joining this board.

Well, if you really are going by the research council, then UConn's PhD programs are mostly highly ranked, and ahead of current B1G schools.

Minnesota does quite well, but they are toward the top of the B1G.

UConn however scores in the middle of the B1G when it comes to Bioscience & Engineering.

This is a comparison of 14 B1G schools + Uconn

Bio
Cell Bio (#7)
Evolutionary Bio (#8)
Genetics (#5)
Immunology (#4)
Kinesiology (#1)

Engineering
Biomedical (#9)
Chemical (#9)
Electrical (#11)
Materials (#8)
Mechanical (#11)

Uconn does much worse in the Humanities/Sciences. But as far as the research heavy Engineering and Bio departments, Uconn fits right in with most of the B1G. It really isn't an undergrad school at all. The USNWP rankings do Uconn an injustice for its grad programs.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If anyone is interested in what Uconn's ranking is in either one field or a particular discipline (or in comparison to B1g schools), let me know. Easy to check, 10 seconds, with excel.

School of Agriculture, specifically resource economics

Reaction Score
The metrics can be debated, but USN&WR rankings are more timely than the NSF data. I am willing to wager that in September, when the updated data become available, you'll see UCONN continue to climb the USN&WR rankings and pass 1 or 2 more B1G schools. The NSF data has more to do with research dollars and doesn't necessarily translate directly to academics or strength of graduate or undergraduate programs. Much of the data also typically lags 2-3 years behind. Having said that, I agree that the B1g and AAU value Research$ more than academic rankings. While UCONN still has some work to do, it's laying a multi-billion dollar foundation to become a leading research university. I think the B1G is capable of doing forward looking math and see where UCONN is heading. And by the way, it's going there with, or without, the B1G or the AAU.

Reaction Score
The metrics can be debated, but USN&WR rankings are more timely than the NSF data. I am willing to wager that in September, when the updated data become available, you'll see UCONN continue to climb the USN&WR rankings and pass 1 or 2 more B1G schools. The NSF data has more to do with research dollars and doesn't necessarily translate directly to academics or strength of graduate or undergraduate programs. Much of the data also typically lags 2-3 years behind. Having said that, I agree that the B1g and AAU value Research$ more than academic rankings. While UCONN still has some work to do, it's laying a multi-billion dollar foundation to become a leading research university. I think the B1G is capable of doing forward looking math and see where UCONN is heading. And by the way, it's going there with, or without, the B1G or the AAU.

The NRC (not NSF) is totally comprehensive and does not look at research dollars solely (if it did, UConn's programs would rank at the bottom, not the middle of the B1G). They take almost every factor you can think of seriously, they measure productivity, efficiency, so much more than mere research dollars. It's a much better gauge of academic quality than the USNWP.

Reaction Score
School of Agriculture, specifically resource economics

UConn only has 4 degree granting programs in the School of Ag., none of them are Ag. resource economics, BUT...

In Social Sciences, you will find Agricultural and Resource Economics which is ranked 15th. That rank would be good enough to be tied for last with Nebraska in the B1G (although only 9 B1G schools even have such a program at all).

Reaction Score
The NRC (not NSF) is totally comprehensive and does not look at research dollars solely (if it did, UConn's programs would rank at the bottom, not the middle of the B1G). They take almost every factor you can think of seriously, they measure productivity, efficiency, so much more than mere research dollars. It's a much better gauge of academic quality than the USNWP.

I think we are in agreement regarding the NRC and NSF. Having said that, the B1G (and AAU) put a higher value on research $ (emphasis on $). Granted, to some degree, it is somewhat interrelated, but to quote NSF data as a ranking mechanism for academics is a stretch.

Reaction Score
I think we are in agreement regarding the NRC and NSF. Having said that, the B1G (and AAU) put a higher value on research $ (emphasis on $). Granted, to some degree, it is somewhat interrelated, but to quote NSF data as a ranking mechanism for academics is a stretch.

Yes, I agree. NSF just shows where the money is. I was mainly responding to Gfunk's contention about graduate school rankings of B1G schools relative to UConn. He linked to USN rankings, so I mentioned the NRC.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I should have asked for a specific discipline and not just the degree program, so I'll give you the ranking by discipline.

Bio & Health:
Molecular Biology and Biochem: 76
Cell Biology: 31
Genetics: 33
Immunology: 34
Kinesiology: 1
Neuroscience: 57

Engine(r)ring:
Biomedical: 34
Chemical: 21
Environment: 36
Electrical: 35
Materials: 23
Polymer: 29
Mechanical: 41

Sciences:
Chemistry: 76
Computers: 27
Math: 75
Physics: 69

I think you're mis-interpreting the NRC numbers - as far as I can tell you're reporting the rankings from 5th percentage R rankings.

Since the study uses confidence intervals to report a range of possible rankings for each school's program you need to look at both the 5th and 95th percentile rankings and try to rank by range. That way you get the 90% confidence interval for that school.

For example, for Kinesiology...

School - 5% - 95%|
UConn - 1 - 8
Penn State - 1 - 3

You see that UConn's ranking has a 90% chance of being ranked between 1-8 while Penn state has a 90% change of being ranked 1-3.

While it's possible that UConn is ranked #1, Penn State is statistically more likely to be ranked higher than UConn.

Reaction Score
I think you're mis-interpreting the NRC numbers - as far as I can tell you're reporting the rankings from 5th percentage R rankings.

Since the study uses confidence intervals to report a range of possible rankings for each school's program you need to look at both the 5th and 95th percentile rankings and try to rank by range. That way you get the 90% confidence interval for that school.

For example, for Kinesiology...

School - 5% - 95%|
UConn - 1 - 8
Penn State - 1 - 3

You see that UConn's ranking has a 90% chance of being ranked between 1-8 while Penn state has a 90% change of being ranked 1-3.

While it's possible that UConn is ranked #1, Penn State is statistically more likely to be ranked higher than UConn.

Yes, I know. But, I've sat through this with stat guys on committee. I wasn't about to explain here the NRC's upside down ranking system. For every specialty, there are about 100 schools (except for the very rare specialties), so the percentiles correspond somewhat to a ranking system. This is political anyway--the NRC can't unabashedly rank these schools like USNews does. Nonetheless, the stats guys I sat in with seemed to think the top quartile was where the meat was.

Reaction Score
#25 Clemson
#51 Buffalo
#51 New Hampshire
#55 Rutgers

In the real world, such rankings are crazy. Clemson in front of Buffalo, Rutgers at the bottom of those 4 schools? FLIP IT. It's inverted.
Rugters is actually #25 as you were looking at Rugters-Newark branch and not Rutgers-New Brunswick(Main Campus) and Clemson is actually a real good school as I know living in Atlanta, GA.

Reaction Score
Rugters is actually #25 as you were looking at Rugters-Newark branch and not Rutgers-New Brunswick(Main Campus) and Clemson is actually a real good school as I know living in Atlanta, GA.

Good catch on Rutgers. As for Clemson, not sure what living in Atlanta has to do with judging Clemson. How is it a real good school? Many of its programs and disciplines (i.e. not research, but the caliber of its faculty) rank in the 100s in the NRC tables, its research is low, I've know faculty who taught there who couldn't wait to leave for better supported institutions, such as Cincy for example. Once you're in the territory of teaching 3-3s or 4-4s, the level of research and publication is diminished. Put Buffalo's programs up against it, there's no comparison. There's a reason UB is an AAU school and has high ranked programs in the NRC tables. But Clemson does not.

Reaction Score
They have similar undergraduate student profiles in terms of selectivity, GPA, and standardized test scores, which is what the lay person tends to look at.

No argument in it being a subpar research institution and lacking in prestige at the graduate levels though.

Reaction Score
They have similar undergraduate student profiles in terms of selectivity, GPA, and standardized test scores, which is what the lay person tends to look at.

No argument in it being a subpar research institution and lacking in prestige at the graduate levels though.

It's not only graduate levels and research. It's the NRC rankings which are not based on research. That's a measure of faculty support as well as efficiency and productivity. Those rankings look at a variety of factors well beyond research.

UB is also roughly 1/3rd bigger.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnfactorfiction.com/

Some rankings listed there. Added that link to the thread for fun. B1G fans can also use that link to show UConn football does have an appeal to some people.
The "piece" on "rank" and, especially, the one on Fiesta Bowl attendance made my blood boil. Why in #$k was this info not used when relevant and why isn't it part of a standard presentation to counter media horse crap.

Reaction Score
The "piece" on "rank" and, especially, the one on Fiesta Bowl attendance made my blood boil. Why in #$k was this info not used when relevant and why isn't it part of a standard presentation to counter media horse crap.

Anyone who actually watched the game knows UConn's attendance numbers and the games overall attendance where egregiously misrepresented.

Reaction Score
It's not only graduate levels and research. It's the NRC rankings which are not based on research. That's a measure of faculty support as well as efficiency and productivity. Those rankings look at a variety of factors well beyond research.

UB is also roughly 1/3rd bigger.

It was my understanding that the NRC rankings relate more to doctoral and post graduate programs, whereas the USNWR rankings are weighted towards undergraduate data.

Reaction Score
It was my understanding that the NRC rankings relate more to doctoral and post graduate programs, whereas the USNWR rankings are weighted towards undergraduate data.

I can't see how you separate grad/undergrad when the faculty are the same. So, even though you're right, they are grading grad programs, this is not simply a measure of research (which is what the AAU does). In fact, the research money doesn't come into it. Instead, it's a measure of university support for programs and faculty productivity. So, in that sense, they look at undergrad programs by virtue of faculty. Grad program come into it inasmuch as they count the size and scope of the PhD program. But, in my mind, it's the same thing. This is the way that academics rate their peers and how reputations are built. Is this important? Yes. Because those reputations trickle down into all the other rankings.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
upstater, does NRC include UConn Health Center and satellite campuses for other universities, or is it main campus (Storrs) only?

Reaction Score
upstater, does NRC include UConn Health Center and satellite campuses for other universities, or is it main campus (Storrs) only?

NRC does not look at any professional schools, so I assume they would not look at all at satellite campuses since any advanced degree from those schools will tend not to be in the Sciences, Engineering or Humanities.

As for UConn Health Center, YES, it is included under the University of Connecticut.

I see Medicinal Chemistry and Biomedical Science listed with a link to the Health Center.

Reaction Score
#25 Clemson
#51 Buffalo
#51 New Hampshire
#55 Rutgers

In the real world, such rankings are crazy. Clemson in front of Buffalo, Rutgers at the bottom of those 4 schools? FLIP IT. It's inverted.

@Are these RU rankings pre assimilation 1 July 13 UNJMD school?RU should get quite a large bump!?!

Reaction Score
Who is "they?" The AAU?

@I think these RU ranking are pre UNJMD school assimilation?It was publically announced RU would be upper B1G and public Ivy quality ranked again in very short order!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom