US News Top Public University rankings | The Boneyard

US News Top Public University rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was hoping for top 20 but we are beating Purdue who we always seem tied with so ill take it.

Reaction Score
Big 10 schools ranked above Uconn:
School Overall Rank
Michigan (4)
Wisconsin (10)
Penn State (13)
Ohio State (18)
Maryland (19)

Uconn (21)

Danzz,

Remember, and this has been said on here many times at this point: schools are measured by the AAU and even more by the BIG for their undergraduate & especially graduate school rankings, the latter truly being more important to the BIG (CIC): money, research & prestige. Nebraska is an exception, but their AAU status dropped post-BIG membership. Sure, the BIG likely knew Nebraksa was going to lose this distinction, but you can't pass on a football blue blood.

Now compare UConn to say Minnesota, my alma mater, US News Graduate School Rankings. Pick any field: business, engineering, medicine, etc. You'll get my point soon enough. Graduate schools & research bring in the bucks & frankly contribute more to global society at the end of the day. Granted, the below links do contain some locked off rankings.

UConn Graduate School Rankings in the top 25 = 3

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ersity-of-connecticut-129020/overall-rankings

University of Minnesota Grad School Rankings in the top 25 =59 (yes, 59 & many other BIG schools match us and some)

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...minnesota-twin-cities-174066/overall-rankings

But, it's great to see UConn climb the undergraduate rankings. I'm rooting for your entrance into the BIG.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
PS Purdue has more than 20 top 25 graduate programs & they're an engineering powerhouse, which frankly translates into major influence in the world.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes, UConn has a long way to go as a research university. It is a historical choice of the northeast that research was concentrated in private universities, especially the Ivy League and MIT and places like Johns Hopkins and Rockefeller University. Nothing wrong with that, except that the B1G wants to import schools similar to those already inside.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am just surprised that there is a thread on the Boneyard about school rankings, and upstater hasn't weighed in yet... ;)

Reaction Score
Danzz,

Remember, and this has been said on here many times at this point: schools are measured by the AAU and even more by the BIG for their undergraduate & especially graduate school rankings, the latter truly being more important to the BIG (CIC): money, research & prestige. Nebraska is an exception, but their AAU status dropped post-BIG membership. Sure, the BIG likely knew Nebraksa was going to lose this distinction, but you can't pass on a football blue blood.

Now compare UConn to say Minnesota, my alma mater, US News Graduate School Rankings. Pick any field: business, engineering, medicine, etc. You'll get my point soon enough. Graduate schools & research bring in the bucks & frankly contribute more to global society at the end of the day. Granted, the below links do contain some locked off rankings.

UConn Graduate School Rankings in the top 25 = 3

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ersity-of-connecticut-129020/overall-rankings

University of Minnesota Grad School Rankings in the top 25 =59 (yes, 59 & many other BIG schools match us and some)

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...minnesota-twin-cities-174066/overall-rankings

But, it's great to see UConn climb the undergraduate rankings. I'm rooting for your entrance into the BIG.

I am just surprised that there is a thread on the Boneyard about school rankings, and upstater hasn't weighed in yet... ;)

I'm fired up! (CUT AND PASTE: Both grad and undergrad rankings are a joke. If you want to know what schools are thinking, have a look at the national foundations rankings. They're available.)

Reaction Score
#25 Clemson
#51 Buffalo
#51 New Hampshire
#55 Rutgers

In the real world, such rankings are crazy. Clemson in front of Buffalo, Rutgers at the bottom of those 4 schools? FLIP IT. It's inverted.

Reaction Score
I'm fired up! (CUT AND PASTE: Both grad and undergrad rankings are a joke. If you want to know what schools are thinking, have a look at the national foundations rankings. They're available.)

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/rdexpenditures/

Looks like the full 2011 data isn't available yet and the excerpt only lists the top 30.

If we go back to 2009...

2 - Michigan
3 - Wisconsin
9 - Penn State
10 - Minnesota
13 - Ohio State
27 - Illinois
30 - Northwestern
34 - Purdue
37 - Indiana
40 - Maryland
48 - (Chicago)
50 - Michigan State
51 - Nebraska
54 - Rutgers
61 - Iowa
80 - Connecticut

Some of those rankings are system wide - I think Nebraska would be on the bottom if you split those out.

Reaction Score
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/rdexpenditures/

Looks like the full 2011 data isn't available yet and the excerpt only lists the top 30.

If we go back to 2009...

2 - Michigan
3 - Wisconsin
9 - Penn State
10 - Minnesota
13 - Ohio State
27 - Illinois
30 - Northwestern
34 - Purdue
37 - Indiana
40 - Maryland
48 - (Chicago)
50 - Michigan State
51 - Nebraska
54 - Rutgers
61 - Iowa
80 - Connecticut

Some of those rankings are system wide - I think Nebraska would be on the bottom if you split those out.

You're looking at research by expenditure. Even the AAU breaks it down into other metrics (it looks at size as well). so a lot of the top schools on that list are not ranked highly in terms of quality.

The new department rankings came out last year after extensive research department by department across the sciences and the humanities. For those students interested in graduate education, I would heavily recommend they look at those rankings. By discipline and specialty even, not necessarily by department.

Also remember the big embarrassing controversy that USNWP got into with Carnegie when Carnegie put out a memo describing the USNWP graduate ratings as using Carnegie rankings in a flawed way. The USNWP people compiling the graduate rankings did not comprehend the Carnegie classes. So they dumped solid schools into Tier 2s and tier 3s, etc., whereas the Carnegie categories had nothing to do with quality.

This is why USNWP moved away from tiers altogether, because it became clear they were trying to piggyback on Carnegie's categories, without an understanding of how they were compiled.

Reaction Score
You're looking at research by expenditure. Even the AAU breaks it down into other metrics (it looks at size as well). so a lot of the top schools on that list are not ranked highly in terms of quality.

The new department rankings came out last year after extensive research department by department across the sciences and the humanities. For those students interested in graduate education, I would heavily recommend they look at those rankings. By discipline and specialty even, not necessarily by department.

Also remember the big embarrassing controversy that USNWP got into with Carnegie when Carnegie put out a memo describing the USNWP graduate ratings as using Carnegie rankings in a flawed way. The USNWP people compiling the graduate rankings did not comprehend the Carnegie classes. So they dumped solid schools into Tier 2s and tier 3s, etc., whereas the Carnegie categories had nothing to do with quality.

This is why USNWP moved away from tiers altogether, because it became clear they were trying to piggyback on Carnegie's categories, without an understanding of how they were compiled.

I don't disagree - but when you look at the NSF data that's the main metric they use.

If you want to use a more holistic set of criteria like the MUP then

http://mup.asu.edu/research2011.pdf

7- Michigan
14-Wisconsin
15-Minnesota
18-Northwestern
21-(Chicago)
22-Ohio State
26-Illinois
30-Penn State
39-Purdue
41-Michigan State
44-Maryland
51-Iowa
55-Rutgers
58-Indiana
72-Connecticut
>100-Nebraska

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lowball

Just kidding! I can say that i never know where I'll use your random facts about academic ranking systems and AAU requirements, but damnit, i do know them!

Reaction Score
I don't disagree - but when you look at the NSF data that's the main metric they use.

If you want to use a more holistic set of criteria like the MUP then

http://mup.asu.edu/research2011.pdf

7- Michigan
14-Wisconsin
15-Minnesota
18-Northwestern
21-(Chicago)
22-Ohio State
26-Illinois
30-Penn State
39-Purdue
41-Michigan State
44-Maryland
51-Iowa
55-Rutgers
58-Indiana
72-Connecticut
>100-Nebraska

Who is "they?" The AAU?

Reaction Score
US News caters to the markets of kids that are thinking about what school to apply to,and their parents. As a consequence, the schools themselves have to pay attention and play the game. And we know its importance because virtually all schools play the game.

US News is not the end all or be all, but it is the dominant marketing tool used by consumers.

The bottom line for kids picking a college: are there other kids like me going to the school? smart ones want to go to school with smart one. super smart with super smart.

I still think a better proxy that is as objective as you are going to get to rate the undergraduate schools is just look at SAT scores. Not perfect (rich kids get sat prep, etc), but it is objective data. And on that basis, UConn is better than the majority of big ten schools. UConn also is better than a majority of big ten schools when you look at kids in graduating in the top 10% of their class in high school. UConn is also better than a majority of big ten schools when it comes time to the kids graduating in general, and on time in particular. Of course this is all about the undergrads.

But the undergrads make up the vast bulk of the school and its reputation, so looking at the strength of the undergraduate student body is a perfectly valid way to distinguish schools from one another.

Reaction Score
Just kidding! I can say that i never know where I'll use your random facts about academic ranking systems and AAU requirements, but damnit, i do know them!

They are actually quite easy to remember since the basic thing is that USN weighs 75% of rankings on reputation as determined by a questionnaire (heck, they can scantron it and get instant ranking!)

Reaction Score
US News caters to the markets of kids that are thinking about what school to apply to,and their parents. As a consequence, the schools themselves have to pay attention and play the game. And we know its importance because virtually all schools play the game.

US News is not the end all or be all, but it is the dominant marketing tool used by consumers.

The bottom line for kids picking a college: are there other kids like me going to the school? smart ones want to go to school with smart one. super smart with super smart.

I still think a better proxy that is as objective as you are going to get to rate the undergraduate schools is just look at SAT scores. Not perfect (rich kids get sat prep, etc), but it is objective data. And on that basis, UConn is better than the majority of big ten schools. UConn also is better than a majority of big ten schools when you look at kids in graduating in the top 10% of their class in high school. UConn is also better than a majority of big ten schools when it comes time to the kids graduating in general, and on time in particular. Of course this is all about the undergrads.

But the undergrads make up the vast bulk of the school and its reputation, so looking at the strength of the undergraduate student body is a perfectly valid way to distinguish schools from one another.

This works for high school kids (though they can be lead astray once you move beyond the top 40) but not for undergrads look at grad. school, who will likely receive better advice from mentors.

Reaction Score
the NSF - you pointed people to the NSF data...unless you meant some other national foundation.

Sorry, my fault. I meant the national research council (http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/Resdoc/) which is an extension of the foundations.

Just to give you an example, the NRC rankings which are extensive and painstakingly difficult to compile have UConn at #21 nationally in Chemical Engineering. Whereas USN has them at #60.
Same thing with Rochester. #32 in NRC, #74 in USN.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I will say it because no one else will.

I recommend to the board that the powers that be get rid of the football board and create a uconn academics board. Seems to be where Susan has us going and a reflection of threads lately.

Reaction Score
I will say it because no one else will.

I recommend to the board that the powers that be get rid of the football board and create a uconn academics board. Seems to be where Susan has us going and a reflection of threads lately.

If anyone is interested in what Uconn's ranking is in either one field or a particular discipline (or in comparison to B1g schools), let me know. Easy to check, 10 seconds, with excel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom