US/Colombia | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US/Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have to agree with Zoo - Cameron had his one moment and then the pretty much ended their tournament run on the corner. How is he not more consistent?

I've been banging the Yedlin drum but what was that?

I still love Bradley - but it has been downhill since joining Toronto.

How is this team this bad?

Cameron is a really good athlete, but as a CB it's almost a zero defect environment if you ever want to approach that "world class" conversation. You have to have a pathological desire to win every battle.

It's Colombia so I'm not going to get real down on the team. But I still say the USMNT is in limbo period where the new guys just aren't quite ready to push the old guys out. And the old guys days are numbered.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cameron is a really good athlete, but as a CB it's almost a zero defect environment if you ever want to approach that "world class" conversation. You have to have a pathological desire to win every battle.

It's Colombia so I'm not going to get real down on the team. But I still say the USMNT is in limbo period where the new guys just aren't quite ready to push the old guys out. And the old guys days are numbered.

Yet the guy who is supposed to move us forward brought Wondo with him...

Reaction Score
Yet the guy who is supposed to move us forward brought Wondo with him...

It's kind of mox/nix. I'd prefer Morris but I am not sure it would have made much of a difference.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Glad they just kept it at 2-0. Bacca's wide open goal attempt could have easily made this a 3-0 loss. US just got lucky he hit the crossbar. I thought Dempsey's free kick that Ospina saved was pretty sweet but other then that, I was really disappointed in their set pieces. They had lots of great free kick spots outside the box and did little to nothing with them. Dempsey's shot was the only one that was effective. The rest were crap or hit the freaking wall. They can't get that many opportunities from set pieces against a team like Colombia and only turn one of them into a real goal attempt.

Agreed with Subba's question on why they brought Wood off for Pulisic. I liked that they brought Pulisic in but would have rather seen Zardes come off.

Anyone ever find out what happened with Brooks when he got up in that players face? Every time Fox showed it they seemed to stop the replay before we could actually see what happened...

They need to crush Paraguay and beat CR. No other way around it.

Will be interested to see if JK tweaks anything with his starting lineup against CR. There were a few bright moments but not many.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It wasn't horrible, but against a quality opponent "not horrible" is not good enough. Yedlin's handball was the right call... but it was preceded by Bradley making a bad giveaway that brought back memories of the previous world cup. (Who is going to take his place by the way?) Klinsmann's US squads have been able to impress against quality sides in friendlies every once in a while but not when it really counts, so far.

Heck I would have been relatively okay with losing 0-1 if we managed to look dangerous in the box more than once every 30 minutes or so.

Reaction Score
At this point we have to hope Colombia sweeps the group (including giving a s*** about the third match once they've already sewn it up after two) and we need to grab 4 points in the remaining matches.

A scoreless draw between Costa Rica and Paraguay would be lovely.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The Costa Rica game will set the tone for the rest of the tournament. If we come out and win, we can probably get away with a draw against Paraguay and still go through. Costa Rica and Paraguay are both beatable, but they can both beat us. It would be a plus if Costa Rica and Paraguay draw today.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Such a mix of good (read hopeful) and bad, it is difficuly to condense the game into a single set of emotions.

Columbia was and is a bad match up for this squad. A counter attacking team that is faster, better on the ball, better passing and better on defense requires a fistful of lucky bounces for this US side to beat them.

If you watched the game you saw swift and crisp passing boot to boot and a lot of speed tearing up the side of the field when they got the ball. That's what the US should be looking to do. We did have a lot of decent looks over the top but connected on almost none of them.

Again, why are you taking Wood off. It was the only thing that is working unless you threw in the towel and wanted to save a 20 something year old for a game on Tuesday???.

Zardes offered nothing and Dempsey didnwhat I expect from a 30+ guy looking to hold onto his spot. Everyone citing Dempsey dropping back as a false 9 as if that were a good thing. It isn't. It results only in free kicks, which there were plenty, but that is not our game. It would be better to serve early balls and let guys faster than Dempsey run onto them. That is our game these days.

The back four did pretty well defending against a potent side. You have to expect moments of horror from these guys, especially Yedlin. Cameron got beat on the corner, but it was a bang bang well taken corner. I want to know where was everyone else. The center space can't look like Yellowstone. Brooks had a solid game. Johnson was velow his standards in defending and distribution. He did get forward more than last week's friendlies, so that's a plus.

Bradley, what can you say, horrible performance. Chasing, several bad giveaways, poor distribution. If you want him off the squad then stop watching, because we only go as far as he takes us. There is no one behind him and he is our indispensable player right now. Hope he picks it up.

Jones did well for his time, was one of the few pressing the ball on both offense and defense. He's just old and can't keep it up for long stretches.

Bedoya had an excellent game for him, JK made the right call playing him v..Columbia. Missed a volley, but was decent in possession and in the right place most of the game

The subs had zero impact on the game. Pulisic and Nagbe were all but invisible. It's a reminder that if the young backups were really all that they would be starting. Zusi's cameo was just that.

I'm hoping Zardes starts on the bench and that the step down in competition yields a better result. I might consider a 4-4-2 leaving Wood and Dempsey up top and telling them to stay high. I'm not expecting JK to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom