US/Aussie Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

US/Aussie Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am watching the game (DVR) now; 3rd quarter. The 1st quarter was really sloppy. Australia was hitting some shots in that 1st quarter. Their post play was killing us. I am just amazed that moving screens are not called more. In high school basketball, those calls are automatic. In college and at the pro level, nothing. Oh well. I am just glad that DT went into attack mode and started to attack the basket to create contact.

Moving on, the 2nd quarter, we see the separation. USA starts to pull away.

3rd quarter, Australia makes a run to get the lead down to six but team USA is still solid.

What I love about coach Auriemma and his style of coaching is, the dude is always cool (at least on camera) during a timeout. You rarely see him with a drawing board and frantically drawing up a play. I mean we have seen him being intense during timeouts. But for the most part, he is cool.

I don't like how the officials call fouls on Brit. There were fouls called on her that were just crappy calls. The one where the player runs into Brits arm? Come on now. But the game is winding down and we are winning.

Team USA!!!

Reaction Score
I have been annoyed that NBA TV has had the same halftime fill piece each game - the men's WC journey. Kept hoping they might have had some footage of the women at the naval academy. Glad they telecast the games, just was hoping for a little variety. Maybe ESPN has something different?!

I agree. I am thankful that NBA TV is airing the games. However, I am annoyed with the men's WC journey during the halftime. I mean surely our girls were doing something during the lead up to the WC. I mean show a practice session, a meeting with wounded veterans, players talking about how much it means to play for team USA, or something where it is our women's USA team during their game. Jeez.

Reaction Score
Spain is a good team but team USA is a great team. That's a big difference. All 12 players could probably start on Spain's team. With team USA's depth and no one to control the inside and USA shooting the ball as well as they are from the outside I think the USA literally runs away with this one. GOLD for team USA.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am watching the game (DVR) now; 3rd quarter. The 1st quarter was really sloppy. Australia was hitting some shots in that 1st quarter. Their post play was killing us. I am just amazed that moving screens are not called more. In high school basketball, those calls are automatic. In college and at the pro level, nothing. Oh well. I am just glad that DT went into attack mode and started to attack the basket to create contact.

3rd quarter, Australia makes a run to get the lead down to six but team USA is still solid.

What I love about coach Auriemma and his style of coaching is, the dude is always cool (at least on camera) during a timeout. You rarely see him with a drawing board and frantically drawing up a play. I mean we have seen him being intense during timeouts. But for the most part, he is cool.

I don't like how the officials call fouls on Brit. There were fouls called on her that were just crappy calls. The one where the player runs into Brits arm? Come on now. But the game is winding down and we are winning.

Team USA!!!

Geno talks to these women like the professionals that they are, and they all pay attention to what he is saying. Geno knows how to coach this group. Say it once and let them go do it.

The refs were guilty of two bad calls on Brittney in the second half. As with all refs at first, they don't know quite how to officiate her. But I was disappointed that BG got frustrated and picked up that foul running down the court. She has to contain her emotions.

Reaction Score

Team USA!!!

What I have noticed about all the refs in this tournament ,is the foreign players keeps their hands up straight but use their body to throw shooters off balance. I believe they are coached to do so.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
What I have noticed about all the refs in this tournament ,is the foreign players keeps their hands up straight but use their body to throw shooters off balance. I believe they are coached to do so.

Good observation. And the refs are letting it go.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This has always been true of international play - they are very tight on arm and hand fouls and allow a lot of body contact - Moore is an example of a USA player who understands this very well - you often see her with both hands in the air as she squeezes between screener and screenee even when her body is making contact with the players to prove she is not holding and she seldom gets a foul called.
And it is a problem for a player like Griner transitioning to the international refs.
On the second half foul where the defender runs her neck into Griner's arm - you see that call a lot, especially with tall players being guarded by shorter players - Dolson had a number of those calls made against her. It is standard offensive position for posting players, but is not actually legal - just never called when the contact is below the neck unless it is really blatant - similar to the hook on a spin move in the post - everybody does it to some degree but it is only called when it is really blatant.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This has always been true of international play - they are very tight on arm and hand fouls and allow a lot of body contact - Moore is an example of a USA player who understands this very well - you often see her with both hands in the air as she squeezes between screener and screenee even when her body is making contact with the players to prove she is not holding and she seldom gets a foul called.
And it is a problem for a player like Griner transitioning to the international refs.
On the second half foul where the defender runs her neck into Griner's arm - you see that call a lot, especially with tall players being guarded by shorter players - Dolson had a number of those calls made against her. It is standard offensive position for posting players, but is not actually legal - just never called when the contact is below the neck unless it is really blatant - similar to the hook on a spin move in the post - everybody does it to some degree but it is only called when it is really blatant.

Once again, good insight and analysis. This is the type of quality post I come to the BY to see.

sTu

Reaction Score
Some arm calls are allowed-clear-outs by a post player with their offhand for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom