Ursuline's Sonia Citron commits to Notre Dame | The Boneyard

Ursuline's Sonia Citron commits to Notre Dame

Reaction Score
I guess that Coach McGraw's retirement had no bearing on one of the top recruits in the country committing to the Fighting Irish.

Reaction Score
Coach Ivey has given a scholarship offer to a top 2022 power forward! Wow! UConn will need Shea Ralph on Road all time now to pickup for losing our Young Recruiting Coach since early January.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I guess that Coach McGraw's retirement had no bearing on one of the top recruits in the country committing to the Fighting Irish.

No, no, no...
It had a most significant bearing.
Now that the "wicked witch of the North" is gone
And Princess Ivy has arrived, the situ is quite reversed.
Notre Dame has again become a most attractive destination. :)

Reaction Score
Wow Coach Ivey is not playing around. ND is gonna be good. I can only hope the transition post-Geno is this smooth, but it likely won't be.
You have know idea. Slow down speedy. No need to go there. Traditions, academic as well as faith have much to do with ND success. ND being good is good for WCBB. UConn being good is “bad for WCBB” There is no reason to assume UConn will have any trouble post Geno.

Reaction Score
Why? UConn can sign multiple players that play the same position, but other schools can't?
And that worked out well for UConn? There is now no one left from Megan's class....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Woo hoo!
Feel like I was trading posts about her with @CocoHusky , @Charliebball and @Sluconn Husky since she was a freshman at Ursuline.

Niele, prior to her gig with the Memphis Grizz, was all over Ms. Miles and Citron for quite some time. And since Niele has spent a lot of time pursuing prospects in the NYC area (Cosgrove, Marshall, Patterson, Nixon, Miles), I'm sure she hit the east side of Westchester quite often.

I have seen them play individually and was summarily impressed. And I watched their games together on the u16 U.S. National Team team in Chile and liked the way they got each other. Very natural ebb and flow.
Both have similarities beyond that: well-built athletes who also excel at soccer and are excellent students. Both were pursued hard by both Stanford and Courtney Banghart (both at Princeton and UNC).

Couldn't be happier that Niele, MM (who did interact with them) and Beth Morgan Cunningham (during Niele's stint in Memphis) kept it going. Go Irish!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Another sign Fudd is not in the ND mix....

It's a sign that ND wanted Sonia Citron, whom they've been pursuing for years. They still have space on their roster and if there is a mutual commitment between the Irish and Ms. Fudd, they'll work it out, I'm sure. ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That is one sweet backcourt. Citron can shoot light out. She isn't Verhulst, but she's close. Now all ND needs are blue chip 4 and 5's.

JordyG

Reaction Score
It's a sign that ND wanted Sonia Citron, whom they've been pursuing for years. They still have space on their roster and if there is a mutual commitment between the Irish and Ms. Fudd, they'll work it out, I'm sure. ;)
That is some wishful thinking. Fudd ain't comin' man. It really looks like it's come down to Frese or UConn.

Reaction Score
And that worked out well for UConn? There is now no one left from Megan's class....

Megan had to know UConn would be one of the favorites to win the NC. Her loss. If someone doesn't want to be there, you're better off without them. UConn will be much better this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

That's not what I'm referring to. UConn has been loading up on guards starting w/ the '19 class.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That is one sweet backcourt. Citron can shoot light out. She isn't Verhulst, but she's close. Now all ND needs are blue chip 4 and 5's.

Do 5s even exist anymore? All the 6'3 girls are "small forwards" now.

Anyhow, I'm guessing that will wait until 2022. The timeline of ND's return to the elite of wcbb will depend on how good Westbeld and Marshall can be and how soon.

Citron makes 13 on ND's 21-22 roster by my count. We'd be looking at:

Seniors: Vaughn (RS), Cosgrove
Juniors: Brunelle, Peoples, Prohaska (RS), Gilbert (RS)
Sophomores: Marshall, Westbeld, Campbell, Hayes, Abdur-Rahim
Freshmen: Miles, Citron

I'm thinking ND would gladly hand a scholarship to Fudd or Rivers but otherwise the Irish are likely done with 2021 recruiting.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Anyhow, I'm guessing that will wait until 2022. The timeline of ND's return to the elite of wcbb will depend on how good Westbeld and Marshall can be and how soon.

I'm thinking ND would gladly hand a scholarship to Fudd or Rivers but otherwise the Irish are likely done with 2021 recruiting.
Yeah Fudd. So that Miles or Citron can come off the bench.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yeah Fudd. So that Miles or Citron can come off the bench.

I respect the attempt at a quip, but I think you could play Miles at the point and Fudd and Citron as the two wings.

I'm on record saying I think Fudd to UConn is a foregone conclusion. But that particular comment doesn't really track with me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

"Elite" status will likely come post 2022 since its rare for frosh to have this kind of effect. In any case, congrats for starting the process to return to top 20 status.

Reaction Score
I respect the attempt at a quip, but I think you could play Miles at the point and Fudd and Citron as the two wings.

I'm on record saying I think Fudd to UConn is a foregone conclusion. But that particular comment doesn't really track with me.
Fair enough. How about: Peoples,
Campbell, Prohaska and Gilbert ?

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Ditto on virtually all counts. Niele allegedly/apparently offered Aliyah Patterson, the 6'3" wing (per your first comment ;) ) this weekend, so I'm guessing the focus on bigs is now aimed at 2022.

I used to think this might be augmented by a posible transfer but since the recommendation/vote and subequent ruling is up in the air, that looks to be an uncertain way to add onto a roster for the next year or two.

The "virtually" has to do with Jersey Wolfenbarger, who the Irish (Muffet and Mabrey, if memory holds) went to see in December. Late arrival for the Irish. She could be one of those flexible players on offense but can hold her own in the pain for defense and rebounding. Still, the Irish were late in that game (compared to Arkansas, Baylor, Vic S., Oregon, etc) and is Niele in support of that prospect and/or engaged in it (as in, does she even know that Jersey girl...sorry couldnt' help it :rolleyes: )

But what not take a flyer at Fudd or Rivers? Gosh knows Niele has been in touch with the Fudds and the ND offense is built around three guards. And, as the late, great (and fellow Montclairian) Yogi Berra might've said: "It ain't over 'til it's over."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom