URI Perspective on Martin | The Boneyard

URI Perspective on Martin

Reaction Score
I glanced over at the URI board, I curious what they think about how Martin has played for us this year. I thought there were some complaints about him when he transferred. With one or two exceptions, it they seem to be very impressed with him and genuinely happy to see him do well. I saw multiple comments saying he was clearly our 2nd best player this year.

Capture.JPG

Reaction Score
I glanced over at the URI board, I curious what they think about how Martin has played for us this year. I thought there were some complaints about him when he transferred. With one or two exceptions, it they seem to be very impressed with him and genuinely happy to see him do well. I saw multiple comments saying he was clearly our 2nd best player this year.

View attachment 63516
I mean, if he were playing this well for URI, they would not have been complaining about him after he transferred.

He's a freakin' unicorn. A good sized wing who can play between 2-4, elite rebounder, gets to the rim, solid shot, tough.

URI isn't known for its efficient offense. They are more of a lunch pail, offense from defense team. We're kinda the same, but we have better talent around Tyrese than he would ever have had at URI so that alone would be super helpful in making his offensive game more efficient.

Reaction Score
I've been really surprised by how well he's handling the ball and shooting. I knew he was strong, athletic, but had trouble finishing--that was pretty obvious on the tape. I doubt he's going to shoot 50% from 3 forever or whatever he's at now, but if he can settle into being a 35% guy on a few attempts per game, that would be amazing.

He also had a pretty pedestrian defensive rating at URI. 101.0 --> 97.5. He's at 91.3 now which is the best on our team after Whaley. His rebounding and switchabiltiy are huge in getting us to the #16 defense in D1! Seems to me he's generally good at making the right reads and being in position, on top of 1.3 steals per game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've been really surprised by how well he's handling the ball and shooting. I knew he was strong, athletic, but had trouble finishing--that was pretty obvious on the tape. I doubt he's going to shoot 50% from 3 forever or whatever he's at now, but if he can settle into being a 35% guy on a few attempts per game, that would be amazing.
Agreed re: handling the ball. He's not great but is good enough to regularly drive to the hoop. On that last layup last night, he used a sweet hesitation move to blow by his guy. He's certainly exceeded my expectations so far.

Reaction Score
Those are definitely reasonable shooting expectations. Wouldn’t be surprised if he exceeded that percentage. Martin shot 32% last year from 3 on pretty high volume - almost 5 attempts per game. He’s brought the volume down and the efficiency up this year, which I imagine is what the URI poster meant by a “more disciplined” offensive game.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
He turned on a switch last night. Basically said “give me the damn ball.” Thought it was funny when the mic picked him up dropping an F bomb after one of his missed free throws (which he needs to work on). Now I see what Hurley saw in him. He’s a vital component to this team and can do almost everything. Love his aggression on the boards.

Reaction Score
He's a unique player. Seems to be both a guard and a big for us. Obviously everyone wants him to finish more consistently. Not sure if he'll get there. But he continues to attack and play aggressive. Which is probably the best way to get past whatever issues he has. Hard not to like Martin.

How much eligibility does he have? This year and next? Or does he get a third year of eligibility because of Covid.

Reaction Score
He's a unique player. Seems to be both a guard and a big for us. Obviously everyone wants him to finish more consistently. Not sure if he'll get there. But he continues to attack and play aggressive. Which is probably the best way to get past whatever issues he has. Hard not to like Martin.

How much eligibility does he have? This year and next? Or does he get a third year of eligibility because of Covid.
Can we stop with the "is everyone is going to stick an extra year with the 5th year of eligibility?"

He's going to be 22 years old in March. He might stick around next year. He's definitely not going to come back for a 5th year in college at age 23-24.

Reaction Score
Can we stop with the "is everyone is going to stick an extra year with the 5th year of eligibility?"

He's going to be 22 years old in March. He might stick around next year. He's definitely not going to come back for a 5th year in college at age 23-24.

Why wouldn't he be back next year? To answer North Dakota he played at URI for 2 years has 2 with us left, besides the potential of this covid year. But he needs improvement in many areas to move on so college is his friend through next year. Needs to have a mid range game, a better jumper/touch and a better handle. Don't get me wrong he's been great for us and his game works for now but for his sake to move on anytime soon and make some dough, he needs to finish out his Husky career.

Reaction Score

That's fine. I also agree. Just looking for the info. Regardless of whether I think Martin would use the extra year. Which I don't think he would.

Reaction Score

He was originally planning to sit this season out and play the next two years, so I wouldn't be that shocked. It's not like he's an NBA player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He's a junior. I expect him back next year. 5th year, no, probably not. But who knows?

Reaction Score
Glad we got Tyrese instead of Nolley. Both are good players but I think Martin offers more versatility.

Reaction Score

But they do at BYU.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom