Urban Meyer Stepping Down | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Urban Meyer Stepping Down

Reaction Score
Why Urban should come to Connecticut:

1) As long as he doesn't hire his son, press will give him no problems.
2) Equidistant 2-hr drive to the best doctors in the world in Boston & NYC.
3) Chance to have lunch with Geno & Hurley.
4) Brett McMurphy can't find Storrs on a map.
5) If he does have a shortened life span, coaching this team will make it seem like an eternity.

Reaction Score
Yeah his brain is a far bigger issue.

I didn’t know about it either until last week, it’s flown kind of under the radar for a bit, but you should look in to what he has been dealing with, with his brain cyst

Those can sometimes be drained.

Reaction Score
If Urban came to UConn, it shouldn't take too much more money to re-open the jail across the street from the Depot Campus. While wining two National titles in Gainesville, didn't his teams also collect 30+ arrests and who know how many should have been arrested?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those can sometimes be drained.
Already had brain surgery to drain it a few years ago. It’s not a permanent fix.

Anxiety causes/exacerbates the symptoms.

Dude has all the money and accolades he could want. He leaves OSU in a great place. An absolute legend at two schools. He has absolutely nothing to prove, so why go through brain surgery every few years with near-debilitating symptoms in between?

Reaction Score
What...? Are you saying that his health issues are because he choose not to fire someone on his staff that was beating their wife, which he had knowledge of and decided to lie about?

It's certainly possible. Obviously his health issues predate this particular issue, but the problems are caused, at least in part, by stress, no? You don't think the whole country calling for your job is stressful?

Urban's about as tightly wound a guy as you'll find. Football, and the demands of running college programs like Florida and Ohio State, certainly require you to be that way. To the extent that he's even less emotionally healthy than your average football coach has likely contributed to his success, and by extension, his declining physical health. It's all intertwined.

I'm not trying to debate whether he did the right thing. He pretty clearly didn't. There's a difference, though, between people who allow their emotions to distort reality versus people who act manipulatively to preserve their own interests. I don't think Urban was laying in bed thinking, "I'll let this woman suffer so long as I can keep my receivers coach, we need to lock down this recruit." It's more nuanced than that. More likely, he got too close to the situation and lost the ability to identify what is obvious to all of us. Still a massive blunder that could have and should have cost him his job, but not the damning moral failure that people want it to be. As I said, best to let him retire in peace.

Reaction Score
Next from Champs: is winning games really all that it’s cracked up to be for sports teams?

Not sure, people on the MBB seem quite content with moral victories this season. Really refreshing to see a fan base that only cares about playing hard and competing.

Reaction Score
If Udban came to UConnm, it shouldn't take too much more money to re-open the jail across the street from the Depot Campus. While wining two National titles in Gainesville, didn't his teams also collect 30+ arrests and who know how many should have been arrested?

He had the greatest front man in history, Tim Tebow. No one seemed to care what the hell went on up there as he surpassed just about every school ever for that sort of activity.

Reaction Score
We should hire him.

DB - “Did you hear about Urban Meyer?”

UConn fans - “Hire him”

2EFFA1A8-7038-4EFA-B31E-AD6948C7ADC9.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'm going with Cincinnati. Pull off a Geno-like run while there.
It's feasible if he ever returns but I doubt it. He's a Cincinnati grad and still has family working at the university.

Reaction Score
Already had brain surgery to drain it a few years ago. It’s not a permanent fix.

Anxiety causes/exacerbates the symptoms.

Dude has all the money and accolades he could want. He leaves OSU in a great place. An absolute legend at two schools. He has absolutely nothing to prove, so why go through brain surgery every few years with near-debilitating symptoms in between?

You haven't spent a lot of time around coaches is my guess.

What you said is logical and makes all the sense in the world. He is also going to make great make money in the studio or booth if he wants to.

Then the competitive tick is going to return, his wife will get sick of him being home too much, and some big time program is going show up to his door and say "here's $48 million for four years on the books, another $2 -$3 million per off the books".

I remember Jim Calhoun saying he was done. I remember Mack Brown saying he was done. Hell, I remember Urban retiring once before. Coaches coach. That is what they do. He is only 57. I give it 3 years, 4 max. He can take 5 years off and he would be younger than Saban is now. But maybe you are right.

Reaction Score
You haven't spent a lot of time around coaches is my guess.

What you said is logical and makes all the sense in the world. He is also going to make great make money in the studio or booth if he wants to.

Then the competitive tick is going to return, his wife will get sick of him being home too much, and some big time program is going show up to his door and say "here's $48 million for four years on the books, another $2 -$3 million per off the books".

I remember Jim Calhoun saying he was done. I remember Mack Brown saying he was done. Hell, I remember Urban retiring once before. Coaches coach. That is what they do. He is only 57. I give it 3 years, 4 max. He can take 5 years off and he would be younger than Saban is now. But maybe you are right.
And I’m guessing you haven’t spent a lot of time around people with progressive neurological conditions.

Reaction Score
Sadly too much time.
I don’t buy that but I guess we will see in the 3 years you project him to be back on the sidelines.

Keep in mind that unlike older coaches who come back, Meyer has a family and children who are entering adulthood. I imagine he cares about being comfortable and spending time with them and his new grandkids. He’s not some 70 year old with a grown up family

Reaction Score
I don’t buy that but I guess we will see in the 3 years you project him to be back on the sidelines.

Keep in mind that unlike older coaches who come back, Meyer has a family and children who are entering adulthood. I imagine he cares about being comfortable and spending time with them and his new grandkids. He’s not some 70 year old with a grown up family

I hope you buy things at the wholesale price. I ain't selling you a damn thing, so there is nothing for you to buy here.

I don't have a horse in the race. He isn't coaching or not coaching my favorite team. Just saying history has very few examples of guys retiring a the top of their game at that age. Like I said, you may be right.

Reaction Score
Meyer and Addazio's greatest accomplishment, they taught Aaron Hernandez how to break his word.

Reaction Score
Coaches coach. No way he was going to stay out at his age. I wonder how much Khan had to pay him.

Reaction Score
Lol I thought the same thing when I saw this. Figured he came to his senses...talk about a stressful job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom