Upset Alert, Michigan State in trouble | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Upset Alert, Michigan State in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whoever picked Michigan State in their bracket has to be extremely p.o'd right about now... I wanna say more, but I'm not trying mess up the Husky mojo...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Great. Now we have beat somebody else in the title game.

Reaction Score
Love their coach- hate their fans. When we were leaving the FF and they just beat us -the MSU fans were screaming at us and pushing me and my wife- worst fans ever. I do not cry when they lose and since then it's been harder to route for them. I am enjoying this loss a bit more then I should.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
MSU threw this game away so many times.

How can you throw away something you never had? This is my 2nd most hoped for result of the first round. Can't stand Sparty and their fans. Izzo has been so smug and self-satisfied lately good to see him humbled.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When we were leaving the FF and they just beat us -the MSU fans were screaming at us and pushing me and my wife- worst fans ever. .

Before, during and after.

Reaction Score
They were in the KenPom top 100 for a lot of the season but tailed off late. Committee, per usual, did an awful job in seeding.
You guys (PcktNiels/Kobe) must not be familiar with Fairleigh Dickinson circa 1998. By himself Elijah Allen is the best #15 seed of all time.

Reaction Score
At first thought I said my bracket is ruined. Then I realized 99.99% of all humans had Michigan State in the Final 4.
This was the sole reason I did not, but in my 2 brackets I had Purdue in one of them so...............

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Francesa was saying that Izzo is the best coach when it comes to out-perfoming his teams' seedings. That took a bit of a hit, now didn't it. It's pretty rough to have the Player of the Year and get bounced in the first round.

Reaction Score
Michigan State can't teach a guard how to play. Instead they try to run offense with a bunch of 6'8" slow guys. I never really understand how izzo builds a team. At least twice i recall izzo complaining about the direction of college basketball after ncaa losses. It favors dribble penetratrion too much...stuff like that. I'm not sure what izzo is thinking. Dribble penetratrion has always been critical. Go recruit some guards already.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Seems like every year for Michigan State. Izzo a good coach, great guy, is known to bring his teams out of nowhere to compete. Then, they lose. They always get talked up and lose. Especially our last NC.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Michigan State can't teach a guard how to play. Instead they try to run offense with a bunch of 6'8" slow guys. I never really understand how izzo builds a team. At least twice i recall izzo complaining about the direction of college basketball after ncaa losses. It favors dribble penetratrion too much...stuff like that. I'm not sure what izzo is thinking. Dribble penetratrion has always been critical. Go recruit some guards already.
Izzo has more Final Four appearances this century than any coach. Do you really question him that much?

Reaction Score
I hope after this NCAAT, Delaney decided enough is enough. Let's grab UCONN and CINCINNATTI while they are available so that they could teach us a thing or two about playing basketball in March.

I know, i know.... Basketball does not drive the bus of CR but I still somehow hope.

Reaction Score
You guys (PcktNiels/Kobe) must not be familiar with Fairleigh Dickinson circa 1998. By himself Elijah Allen is the best #15 seed of all time.

Oh God get off yourself dude. MSU didn't even play that badly, they were just outclassed athletically as a team and Izzo got horribly out coached down the stretch. They weren't just plucky undersized kids hitting lucky contested 3s, they physically dominated MSU in every facet.

Reaction Score
Izzo has more Final Four appearances this century than any coach. Do you really question him that much?
Im not a huge fan. And i think there's plenty of evidence izzo can't teach guard play or doesn't understand it's importance. Most likely his rep is bad enough in regards to guard play he has trouble recruiting

Reaction Score
Im not a huge fan. And i think there's plenty of evidence izzo can't teach guard play or doesn't understand it's importance. Most likely his rep is bad enough in regards to guard play he has trouble recruiting

Name me 5 better coaches. Hell, name me 3.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown, K and Pitino.
Debatable, yes, and probably not.

Pitino does a nice job, but he doesn't put anybody into the pros, and he doesn't have as impressive a record in the tourney as Izzo.

FWIW, Brown is the best in-game coach I've seen in college. But "play by the rules, or at least be good at hiding the fact that you don't" is part of being a good college coach, and he doesn't do that. If you want a program-builder, it goes like this:

1) Calhoun
2) Krzyzewski
3) Izzo

Reaction Score
Debatable, yes, and probably not.

Pitino does a nice job, but he doesn't put anybody into the pros, and he doesn't have as impressive a record in the tourney as Izzo.

FWIW, Brown is the best in-game coach I've seen in college. But "play by the rules, or at least be good at hiding the fact that you don't" is part of being a good college coach, and he doesn't do that. If you want a program-builder, it goes like this:

1) Calhoun
2) Krzyzewski
3) Izzo

I agree with pretty much all of this but wanted him to list current coaches. K is a given but I echo your sentiments on Brown and Pitino. The fact he'd even list Brown when he has neither the college career achievements and can't manage to run a clean program (let alone stay long enough in any one place to build one) is laughable. He probably is the best in game coach currently in the college game, but he's also among the worst at actually maintaining a program and being consistently successful on the court and staying out of trouble off it.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Izzo has been to more Final Fours than any coach this century. You really question him that seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom