Updated -> UConn vs. #11 Boston University (2/20/21 @ Freitas Ice Forum @ 4p on CW20) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Updated -> UConn vs. #11 Boston University (2/20/21 @ Freitas Ice Forum @ 4p on CW20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I can’t remember ever being this annoyed after a loss.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t able to watch the game but hey, it’s always important to play a team like that tough. The ice bus will roll on, gotta grab some momentum going into the postseason tournament

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Wasn’t able to watch the game but hey, it’s always important to play a team like that tough. The ice bus will roll on, gotta grab some momentum going into the postseason tournament
We should have won that one. I just smoked a cigar on a two mile walk and I’m still pissed about it. Still love my Huskies, but mentally, I needed a win. Love all of you that support the boys.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Reaction Score
It was NOT a great game. Total waste of an afternoon if I knew sketchy calls were going to decide it. I told you Hockey East was shady as hell with the scheduling and that matching call was inexplicable. And our program makes way too many untimely mistakes. You cannot commit a penalty that late in a tied game.
Well, which is it - a sketchy call or a boneheaded penalty?

Reaction Score
So the 5 minute major for roughing. I don't recall in 35 years of watching hockey ever seeing a 5 minute major doled out if the boards, an elbow, a high stick, or a fight wasn't involved. And the BU player trying to start a fight right after that hit gets NOTHING? And Howarth getting ejected? And the BU player is right back on the ice a few minutes later no worse for the wear? Horsesht.

As for the penalty with a minute to go, I only saw one angle (the one where the camera is facing the player) and it looked like a dive - hell it looked like a pirouette - but there may have been an angle that I missed that showed it was legit. You can be sure if this was in front of UConn fans with a minute to go, there's no way in hell they're calling it unless it was blatant.

That being said BU took it to us in the second half of the game, more so than us it seemed. Up 2-0, going on the PP we had a chance to bury them but didn't. And there you go when the dust settles.

Frustration.

Reaction Score

In the no good deed goes unpunished category:

-> BU only dressed one goaltender due to injury. O’Connell said that was the reason Friday’s game in Boston was canceled: “We only have the one healthy goalie so we want to thank UConn, thank the league and thank the administrations for allowing us to play the one game. It’s not very conventional to have one goalie in the net.” <-

Reaction Score
What I don't get is the matching penalties with 2 minutes to go. It is such a pathetic way for the ref to escape having to make a real call. If it was interference, then it was interference. If it was a dive, then it was a dive and not interference. Replay showed it was interference, which backed up what I saw in real time. Also agree with The Viking about the 5 minute major. If the kid's helmet didn't fly off then it would have only been two minutes. But maybe the worst call of all was the mysterious interference penalty on UConn early in the 3rd period. Very frustrating night all around.

Reaction Score
The matching penalties were atrocious. It was a textbook steparound interference on BU. I think they called an embellishment on the UConn guy? The announcers seemed to indicate it was matching interference penalties, but that'd be even more ludicrous. Either way, the penalty on UConn there was an atrocious call.

Reaction Score
Lol so you're criticizing a team for not having a fourth goalie sit around and do nothing but practice and realistically never suit up? That player would also have to be willing to do that while paying his own way since teams are allowed 18 scholarships.

Keep digging your hole.
Back in the early 80's I could have pulled a guy out of the UConn intramural league that would have made an adequate backup. There were always ringers who played at a high level with no aspirations beyond HS. One of our guys was an all stater who logged big minutes as a frosh but left the team to concentrate on his major. But it probably violates some other rule that actual 4 year students can't sub in.

Reaction Score
So the 5 minute major for roughing. I don't recall in 35 years of watching hockey ever seeing a 5 minute major doled out if the boards, an elbow, a high stick, or a fight wasn't involved. And the BU player trying to start a fight right after that hit gets NOTHING? And Howarth getting ejected? And the BU player is right back on the ice a few minutes later no worse for the wear? Horsesht.

As for the penalty with a minute to go, I only saw one angle (the one where the camera is facing the player) and it looked like a dive - hell it looked like a pirouette - but there may have been an angle that I missed that showed it was legit. You can be sure if this was in front of UConn fans with a minute to go, there's no way in hell they're calling it unless it was blatant.

That being said BU took it to us in the second half of the game, more so than us it seemed. Up 2-0, going on the PP we had a chance to bury them but didn't. And there you go when the dust settles.

Frustration.
That happens when you're worn out from killing penalties.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Back in the early 80's I could have pulled a guy out of the UConn intramural league that would have made an adequate backup. There were always ringers who played at a high level with no aspirations beyond HS. One of our guys was an all stater who logged big minutes as a frosh but left the team to concentrate on his major. But it probably violates some other rule that actual 4 year students can't sub in.
And then there are those pesky Covid protocols.

Reaction Score
I believe Chris Jones indicated in a recent baseball press conference that Randy Brochu will be helping out on some UConn baseball broadcasts this spring.

Apparently Randy Brochu is doing more than just broadcasting hockey and future baseball games for UConn athletics. I just checked out the UConn All Access video for the UConn women's home soccer game against Rhode Island today, and found that Brochu did the play by play for that game.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Apparently Randy Brochu is doing more than just broadcasting hockey and future baseball games for UConn athletics. I just checked out the UConn All Access video for the UConn women's home soccer game against Rhode Island today, and found that Brochu did the play by play for that game.
Randy does excellent work and I’m not just speaking as a homer. I just feel that he is much more balanced in his call than any other HEA play by play guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom