Updated -> UConn vs. #11 Boston University (2/20/21 @ Freitas Ice Forum @ 4p on CW20) | The Boneyard

Updated -> UConn vs. #11 Boston University (2/20/21 @ Freitas Ice Forum @ 4p on CW20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We had 3 options left of teams we haven't played. BU, Maine, Vermont. Coming off a tough road trip and bad losses we could have used a more manageable opponent to get some momentum back. Of course they give us by far the toughest of the 3. It's happened a bit too much with these opponent announcements this year IMO.

Reaction Score
A couple losses just 45 and 90 minutes away (1 ranked opponent) were unhelpful, but the games were 7 and 10 days ago. Time for the Huskies to show up, then beat another higher ranked opponent. Go UConn!

Reaction Score
No Firstov is really tough against a team as good as BU.

Any word on what type of injury?

Reaction Score
Agree that the schedule makers did us no favors but in sports you play the teams on your schedule. Just win and it doesn’t matter who you play.

Reaction Score

-> Note: Hockey East announced the matchup between UConn and BU on Friday night at Walter Brown Arena has been canceled due to non-COVID reasons. The UConn Blog has learned that the issue is on BU’s end, not UConn’s. <-

-> “Injury report - Along with Firstov and Schandor, Roman Kinal remains out with an MCL injury. BU will be without defenseman David Farrance, the team’s leading scorer with 14 points, and goaltender Drew Commesso.” <-

Reaction Score
That is really strange. BU does not have the firepower of BC, but they have a couple of huge defenseman.

We will probably get Maine next weekend and end with UVM. Beat BU and sweep the next two series!

Reaction Score
Is there a reason for the vagueness on why?

Although I guess if someone said what the reason was, it wouldn't be vague. So......alright then.

Reaction Score
Is there a reason for the vagueness on why?

Although I guess if someone said what the reason was, it wouldn't be vague. So......alright then.
That information is all I know, unfortunately - not intentionally vague. There's speculations I've heard but I really don't want to repeat things that are potentially not true.

Edit - I don't believe it's anything nefarious or ominous for either team.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
That information is all I know, unfortunately - not intentionally vague. There's speculations I've heard but I really don't want to repeat things that are potentially not true.

Edit - I don't believe it's anything nefarious or ominous for either team.
Did we scare BU? This season is turning into a real cluster .... especially Lately. If it’s not Covid, then why?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did we scare BU? This season is turning into a real cluster .... especially Lately. If it’s not Covid, then why?
Nope.

Backup goalie Ashton Abel got injured in practice this week and BU would only be able to dress one healthy goalie. Belief is the league wouldn't let the team play with one goalie dressed.

Unclear what this means for Saturday's game. Drew Commesso is out (prior Covid protocol) and isn't an option. Don't know if a club hockey goalie can come up, BU would likely make that player test multiple times. If they can get a second goalie, wouldn't shock me to see the teams try and reschedule tonight's game for Sunday or into next week.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Nope.

Backup goalie Ashton Abel got injured in practice this week and BU would only be able to dress one healthy goalie. Belief is the league wouldn't let the team play with one goalie dressed.

Unclear what this means for Saturday's game. Drew Commesso is out (prior Covid protocol) and isn't an option. Don't know if a club hockey goalie can come up, BU would likely make that player test multiple times. If they can get a second goalie, wouldn't shock me to see the teams try and reschedule tonight's game for Sunday or into next week.

Thanks for the clarity on the situation...only in this weird, Covid season could something like this happen.

Reaction Score
Seems odd for the league to step in and cancel if this is the reason. We are playing without two really productive forwards. What is the threshold?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Seems odd for the league to step in and cancel if this is the reason. We are playing without two really productive forwards. What is the threshold?
We have plenty of skaters...goalie is a bit more specialized. If your one goalie gets hurt who throws on the pads? I hate to see the cancellation, but I understand the reasoning behind it.

Reaction Score
It sounds a little bogus to me, honestly. Sounds more like protect the old guard so they don’t have to use their “emergency” netminder. I get that goalie is a special position, but still, I notice UConn carries 4 goalies. So does BC, Providence, and Northeastern. I assume BU elected to carry only 3. Seems like they took that risk when they constructed the roster and now the league is protecting them. Maybe I’m being too harsh, but you construct your roster and you play with that roster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom