Updated -> UConn vs. #11 Boston University (2/20/21 @ Freitas Ice Forum @ 4p on CW20) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updated -> UConn vs. #11 Boston University (2/20/21 @ Freitas Ice Forum @ 4p on CW20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hockey East coaches are essentially picking their games for themselves. BU only wants UConn once this weekend due to the way the standings are calculated. Same with PC last weekend, their excuse for second game was bogus. PC tried to lobby to have Merrimack to replace them against UConn. It’s a joke.

Reaction Score
So excuse me but now teams get to cancel if they're shorthanded? What kind of BS is that?
My point exactly. So now you get to cancel games due to injury? Allie must have read the report that the NCAA wasn’t requiring a minimum number of games for the tournament...

Reaction Score
I'm from the camp that decisions have consequences, so live with them. If BU had only three goaltenders, then they ASSUMED THE RISK. Why should any other HE team be disadvantaged by their decision making? I don't think it's a matter of old school/new school, but more of a reflection of today's societal norm that "it's not my fault".

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I think we are getting into conspiracy theory territory here. Until I see proof of it, this will just go down as a league decision. Maybe not the right one, but I don’t see much else here.

Reaction Score
I'm from the camp that decisions have consequences, so live with them. If BU had only three goaltenders, then they ASSUMED THE RISK. Why should any other HE team be disadvantaged by their decision making? I don't think it's a matter of old school/new school, but more of a reflection of today's societal norm that "it's not my fault".
lol what? This qualifies for the hall of fame of dumbest Boneyard posts of all time.

Most teams in fact only have three goaltenders. It literally says in the NCAA rule book that you cannot suit more than three goaltenders - it's actually a bench minor to suit four goalies.

One of BU's is already in Covid protocols. The other got hurt in practice yesterday afternoon. That leaves one goalie. Add on to that no team has the ability to quickly (<24 hours) add roster players without them passing testing protocols. Hence we end up here and....

It also says in the NCAA rule book that a team cannot play with one suited goalie.

1613779709572.png

Nice try creating a strawman here. This is strictly NCAA rules with the added conditions of prior Covid infection. Nothing more, nothing less.

I guarantee you Ashton Abel would've seen 0 time this weekend, BU's current starting goalie remains uninjured and able to play. This injury would have no effect on the BU lineup. BU's best player still won't play tomorrow and my understanding is still would not play in a Sunday/Monday/Tuesday makeup game if it occurred. Therefore there's no argument here BU is "ducking" UConn to play them later with Farrance and Commesso back.

If BU were interested in "ducking" a team, wouldn't they have done it two weeks ago against BC while down their #1 goalie, Hobey-caliber defenseman, and four top-6 forwards including all 3 captains?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
lol what? This qualifies for the hall of fame of dumbest Boneyard posts of all time.

Most teams in fact only have three goaltenders. It literally says in the NCAA rule book that you cannot suit more than three goaltenders - it's actually a bench minor to suit four goalies.

One of BU's is already in Covid protocols. The other got hurt in practice yesterday afternoon. That leaves one goalie. Add on to that no team has the ability to quickly (<24 hours) add roster players without them passing testing protocols. Hence we end up here and....

It also says in the NCAA rule book that a team cannot play with one suited goalie.

View attachment 64803

Nice try creating a strawman here. This is strictly NCAA rules with the added conditions of prior Covid infection. Nothing more, nothing less.
NCAA rules state you can only "suit" three goaltenders, not have more on the squad.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score

View attachment 64803

I guarantee you Ashton Abel would've seen 0 time this weekend, BU's current starting goalie remains uninjured and able to play. This injury would have no effect on the BU lineup. BU's best player still won't play tomorrow and my understanding is still would not play in a Sunday/Monday/Tuesday makeup game if it occurred. Therefore there's no argument here BU is "ducking" UConn to play them later with Farrance and Commesso back.

If BU were interested in "ducking" a team, wouldn't they have done it two weeks ago against BC while down their #1 goalie, Hobey-caliber defenseman, and four top-6 forwards including all 3 captains?
Conspiracy theory officially debunked.

Reaction Score
NCAA rules state you can only "suit" three goaltenders, not have more on the squad.
Lol so you're criticizing a team for not having a fourth goalie sit around and do nothing but practice and realistically never suit up? That player would also have to be willing to do that while paying his own way since teams are allowed 18 scholarships.

Keep digging your hole.

Reaction Score
It sounds a little bogus to me, honestly. Sounds more like protect the old guard so they don’t have to use their “emergency” netminder. I get that goalie is a special position, but still, I notice UConn carries 4 goalies. So does BC, Providence, and Northeastern. I assume BU elected to carry only 3. Seems like they took that risk when they constructed the roster and now the league is protecting them. Maybe I’m being too harsh, but you construct your roster and you play with that roster...
Seems like you didn't read the rule book.

My point exactly. So now you get to cancel games due to injury? Allie must have read the report that the NCAA wasn’t requiring a minimum number of games for the tournament...
The NCAA is not requiring the minimum 13 games for teams who win their conference tournament to receive the auto-bid.

Reaction Score
Choices.

Have you never been aware of a UConn man, or woman, who chose to be a member of the basketball squad without a scholarship?

Reaction Score
Choices.

Have you never been aware of a UConn man, or woman, who chose to be a member of the basketball squad without a scholarship?
Have you ever been aware of an official member of either basketball squad who was never allowed to suit up and if they did it would result in a penalty/bench technical? Because you're advocating for that, not just a random walk on.

BU's current only healthy goalie, Vinny Duplessis, is a voluntary member of the squad without a scholarship.

Reaction Score
BB
I get that you can only dress 3. And 19 Total. And COVID throws a wrench into plans, but many teams have 4 goalies on their rosters. I didn’t check every HEA team but as I said BC, Northeastern, Merrimack Providence and UConn all have 4. If you are down to one you do what they do in football if all the quarterbacks get hurt. You find a d-man who played goalie in peewees and suit him up and pray like hell that you don’t have to use him. Do you think UConn would want to throw Matt Pasquale out there?

I don’t think really that it is a conspiracy but I do think it is a bogus reason to cancel a game.

Reaction Score
BB
I get that you can only dress 3. And 19 Total. And COVID throws a wrench into plans, but many teams have 4 goalies on their rosters. I didn’t check every HEA team but as I said BC, Northeastern, Merrimack Providence and UConn all have 4. If you are down to one you do what they do in football if all the quarterbacks get hurt. You find a d-man who played goalie in peewees and suit him up and pray like hell that you don’t have to use him. Do you think UConn would want to throw Matt Pasquale out there?

I don’t think really that it is a conspiracy but I do think it is a bogus reason to cancel a game.
If there weren't Covid testing protocols, they would've called someone up from the club squad.

Given the injury happened <24 hours before game time, that club goalie would not have had time to pass the required testing protocol. I imagine that's what BU would do for tomorrow's game if they can get it done.

Look, I want to see these games happen as much as you all do - I'd actually prefer if the games happened on a later week so both teams could be more at full strength. Both teams have strong rosters this year and it'd be a fun weekend. This may well be a HE semifinal/championship matchup.

But this ain't no conspiracy theory and isn't the result of inadequate roster construction by BU coming into the season. BU actually did have a fourth goalie coming into the year, Vinnie Purpura, but he decided to leave for LIU in June because they offered him scholarship money and PT.

Reaction Score
If there weren't Covid testing protocols, they would've called someone up from the club squad.

Given the injury happened <24 hours before game time, that club goalie would not have had time to pass the required testing protocol. I imagine that's what BU would do for tomorrow's game if they can get it done.

Look, I want to see these games happen as much as you all do - I'd actually prefer if the games happened on a later week so both teams could be more at full strength. Both teams have strong rosters this year and it'd be a fun weekend. This may well be a HE semifinal/championship matchup.

But this ain't no conspiracy theory and isn't the result of inadequate roster construction by BU coming into the season. BU actually did have a fourth goalie coming into the year, Vinnie Purpura, but he decided to leave for LIU in June because they offered him scholarship money and PT.
Why are you digging in on this so much? What if two of their goalies were hurt in a normal season ? Would they be able to cancel? And why are they good playing one game tomorrow but not two this weekend? Why not cancel both? Lastly. Why is HE being so cryptic about it? It’s just so odd

Reaction Score
Why are you digging in on this so much? What if two of their goalies were hurt in a normal season ? Would they be able to cancel? And why are they good playing one game tomorrow but not two this weekend? Why not cancel both? Lastly. Why is HE being so cryptic about it? It’s just so odd
In a normal season, they suit up a club team goalie and cross their fingers he doesn't have to go in. BC did this last year: Adin Farhat - Men's Hockey - Boston College Athletics

Honestly don't know why they didn't postpone or cancel both. Only explanation I can think of is BU thinks Abel will be healthy to suit up Saturday, seems odd, or they can get a club goalie past testing protocol for Saturday.

I agree completely the cryptic messaging from the league and teams on this and other health issues this year is horrible for the fans. BU is one of the worst with this. Players have vanished from the lineup for weeks on end with no explanation. It's incredibly frustrating.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
In a normal season, they suit up a club team goalie and cross their fingers he doesn't have to go in. BC did this last year: Adin Farhat - Men's Hockey - Boston College Athletics

Honestly don't know why they didn't postpone or cancel both. Only explanation I can think of is BU thinks Abel will be healthy to suit up Saturday, seems odd, or they can get a club goalie past testing protocol for Saturday.

I agree completely the cryptic messaging from the league and teams on this and other health issues this year is horrible for the fans. BU is one of the worst with this. Players have vanished from the lineup for weeks on end with no explanation. It's incredibly frustrating.
Good to have your commentary here. Keep it coming. It adds to the board.

Reaction Score
Trying to forget how great today would be before Covid. Pregame at a Hartford bar watching the end of hoops and then walking across the street for a big hockey game with 6-7 K in the stands.
Dammit.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Trying to forget how great today would be before Covid. Pregame at a Hartford bar watching the end of hoops and then walking across the street for a big hockey game with 6-7 K in the stands.
Dammit.
Yeah...I would have headed up to the Coliseum Club for that pregame happy hour, watched the UConn/Nova game and gotten well oiled for the festivities. Oh well....we will do it again next season.

Reaction Score
Dammit.
Amen to that. First year both teams have been good at the same time.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Dammit.
Usually a lot of BU faithful in town for that game as well...great atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom