Updated roster - best day ever! | The Boneyard

Updated roster - best day ever!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 1.38.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2021-22 is perhaps a dream roster, but no one carries 15 players. Too much talent and not enough playing time. It will be interesting to see what develops.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, they can add some bigs in the 22-23 class other than Brady. We have enough G/W for a while.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn had a full roster? You have to go back to 2008-2009 for 14 players on the roster.

Reaction Score
Geno will play those players who earn playing time. He doesn't play favorites. Players have left in the past. There's nothing anyone can do about that. Hopefully, they came to UConn to win championships, and with the talent UConn has, that's a likely probability. If they want to be stars and get more playing time, I wish them well.

Reaction Score
However, that usually doesn't work out well. Didn't get to finish. It just posted. Must have hit a key to post it.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
2021-22 is perhaps a dream roster, but no one carries 15 players. Too much talent and not enough playing time. It will be interesting to see what develops.
200 minutes divided by 15 players = 13.33 minutes each. We might see something like everyone getting 8 to 20 minutes in a blowout.

Reaction Score
200 minutes divided by 15 players = 13.33 minutes each. We might see something like everyone getting 8 to 20 minutes in a blowout.

And there will be a lot of blowouts. However, there will be a few that are not happy with garbage time.

Reaction Score
They may lose one or two of the juniors to the W if they have really good seasons. Hopefully not but Westbrook is a junior on the court but not in the classroom. UConn could use the senior leadership in what could be a real shot at a NC. This year it’s a possibility but next year OMG!!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And there will be a lot of blowouts. However, there will be a few that are not happy with garbage time.

The way I think about it is that the player's development is a 4 year process and can perhaps be roughly modelled as follows (assuming full uber talented roster), Names added for reference but obviously is just a rough opinion. Looking at it this way, I really do not see that many unhappy players and the grass is not always greener

1) Legend (Paige, Azzi) Track

Freshman In Top 8 rotation early , breaks into starting lineup late
Sophomore First skills jump, Main starter and contributor AA possible
Junior Next skills Jump, Increased Leadership skills AA, NPOY watch
Senior Unquestioned Leader, NPOY likely and number 1 pick in draft.

2) Second Tier WNBA talent track (Liv, Christyn, Aaliyah, Caroline?, Amari, Aubrey?, Ice)

Freshman . Perhaps on bench to begin. Demonstrates enough late in season to make Top 8 rotation
Sophomore First skills jump. Maybe enough to crack starting rotation but definitely in 8 man rotation. Demonstrates a number of top performances and maybe cracks the starting rotation
Maybe starts to look like AA
Junior Significant Skill jump motivated by not breaking the starting lineup perhaps. Cracks into the starting lineup. Shares some leadership Maybe AA
Senior. Make or break year to show WNBA scouts. Leadership growth. AA performance. WNBA draft

3) Third Tier (Saylor, Anna, Nika, Mir)

Not cut out for WNBA (and they figure that out after freshman year when true WNBA destined players beat them up in practice) but UConn training and Luster opens up lots of International Opportunities. Transfer to other school may give more playing time but to what end?? Less competative practices, less opportunities for FF etc.

Freshman . Does not make the top 8 to begin. Mop up duty. Maybe a solid performance once in a while

Sophomore First skills jump. Maybe can crack the 8 man rotation but learns that their will always be a stable of better players . Decides to be dependable as a backup and fill important roles in that capacity

Junior Perhaps another Skills Jump Solid 8 man rotation performer. Pushes other players hard in practice. May be needed to fill holes due to injury etc

Senior. Improves leadership and team skills. Possibly breaks into starting rotation and might make a push to late round WNBA draft.

Track 4 Backup (Paith, August). No need to describe stages.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

And that may be a problem. It's not a problem now in early November. Right now, everything is rosy, and hope springs eternal, but it could become a problem next February/March when players may have been sitting on the bench for a season and a half, and become dissatisfied with their role of being relegated to that of a cheerleader. Players want to play. Getting garbage time minutes (table scraps) may not set well with some. That remains to be seen.

Geno will have to figure it out. I believe he will. He been down this road before. It's difficult to get the 5 players on the end of the bench enough minutes to keep them satisfied and engaged in games and in the program. I believe that is why he seldom maxes out his rosters. I think it depends how "committed" a player is to Geno and the program, and remains steadfast in their desire to remain loyal to their team/teammates and are happy to be part of this program, and remain satisfied with doing whatever Geno asks of them, or needs them to do.

IMO, 12 is the perfect number of players on a roster. It allows for injury, foul trouble or those nights when a starter simply does not have it. We've seen players transfer because of the perception of reduced or very limited playing time going forward (the writing on the wall), i.e., Sadie Edwards, Lexi Gordon, Mikayla Coombs, etc. De'Janae Boykin and Andra Espinoza-Hunter left for different reasons.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
3) Third Tier (Saylor, Anna, Nika, Mir)

Not cut out for WNBA (and they figure that out after freshman year when true WNBA destined players beat them up in practice) but UConn training and Luster opens up lots of International Opportunities. Transfer to other school may give more playing time but to what end?? Less competative practices, less opportunities for FF etc.

Freshman . Does not make the top 8 to begin. Mop up duty. Maybe a solid performance once in a while

Sophomore First skills jump. Maybe can crack the 8 man rotation but learns that their will always be a stable of better players . Decides to be dependable as a backup and fill important roles in that capacity

Junior Perhaps another Skills Jump Solid 8 man rotation performer. Pushes other players hard in practice. May be needed to fill holes due to injury etc

Senior. Improves leadership and team skills. Possibly breaks into starting rotation and might make a push to late round WNBA draft.

We haven't seen Saylor, Nika, or Mir play, but I think that this assessment is really unfair to Anna.

As a freshman, Anna was doing a whole lot more than mop up duty. You aren't the second on the team in scoring in 36 minutes vs. Oregon if you're doing mop up duty. You aren't fourth on the team in MPG if you're doing mop up duty.

After starting 2/19, she finished the season 57/125. As a freshman. If you take out those starting stats, she actually had a better 3P% than Walker.

To then relegate her to maybe part of an eight man rotation as a sophomore, even with this packed roster, is a major dig at what she accomplished last year and the work she put in over the summer to transform her body.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
We haven't seen Saylor, Nika, or Mir play, but I think that this assessment is really unfair to Anna.

As a freshman, Anna was doing a whole lot more than mop up duty. You aren't the second on the team in scoring in 36 minutes vs. Oregon if you're doing mop up duty. You aren't fourth on the team in MPG if you're doing mop up duty.

After starting 2/19, she finished the season 57/125. As a freshman. If you take out those starting stats, she actually had a better 3P% than Walker.

To then relegate her to maybe part of an eight man rotation as a sophomore, even with this packed roster, is a major dig at what she accomplished last year and the work she put in over the summer to transform her body.

First, I meant it (as stated) as a general template assuming players are breaking into an already very talented and deep roster. When Anna came in, the team was not deep at all so of course, her progress and playing time were accelerated. I am not trying to focus on any one player who can either overachieve or sadly underachieve. I am just trying to give a template of how incoming students on a very deep and talented roster might profitably view their progress and pathways and not be so concerned with playing time as a freshman.

Finally, I do think of her as more of a tier 3 in my scheme over time and by that, not sure if she can break into the WNBA. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
First, I meant it (as stated) as a general template assuming players are breaking into an already very talented and deep roster. When Anna came in, the team was not deep at all so of course, her progress and playing time were accelerated. I am not trying to focus on any one player who can either overachieve or sadly underachieve. I am just trying to give a template of how incoming students on a very deep and talented roster might profitably view their progress and pathways and not be so concerned with playing time as a freshman.

Finally, I do think of her as more of a tier 3 in my scheme over time and by that, not sure if she can break into the WNBA. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.
I think that you made an honest and thoughtful analysis, but I'm in total agreement with Argonaut. I think that Anna will be a key player for the next 3 years and it won't surprise me to see Nika right there too. I can see a three guard offense for long periods of time with the fastest 2 bigs alternating. So many options!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think that you made an honest and thoughtful analysis, but I'm in total agreement with Argonaut. I think that Anna will be a key player for the next 3 years and it won't surprise me to see Nika right there too. I can see a three guard offense for long periods of time with the fastest 2 bigs alternating. So many options!!!

Because Anna was forced to take on a major role immediately, she blossomed far faster than may be expected if she is walking into this team in 2021 (say Saylor's shoes). Nika also is at an advantage since she is coming in the season before UConn turns into a Death Star.Also, their international background skews the story a bit. My approach was not to single out any current player but to map what might be the flow chart of a 12-14 player uber talented and deep roster in steady state. Regarding individual classification, I am using what I think they will be ultimately at the end (after 4 years) perhaps to stir up people ;) but again, this was a mainly a Human Resources exercise to counteract the idea that top 20 players who do not start as freshman will be looking to transfer and that a 4 year view is more appropriate for their own future.

Reaction Score

You're right about Anna. She was dynamite as a shooter after those first 5 or 6 games and no one was a better passer. It'll be really interesting to see how she's used too, as I envision her as a great prospect to play at the top of the key against zones besides being a great floor leader at the 1, 2 and 3.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom