Updated roster - best day ever! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updated roster - best day ever!

Reaction Score
Because Anna was forced to take on a major role immediately, she blossomed far faster than may be expected if she is walking into this team in 2021 (say Saylor's shoes). Nika also is at an advantage since she is coming in the season before UConn turns into a Death Star.Also, their international background skews the story a bit. My approach was not to single out any current player but to map what might be the flow chart of a 12-14 player uber talented and deep roster in steady state. Regarding individual classification, I am using what I think they will be ultimately at the end (after 4 years) perhaps to stir up people ;) but again, this was a mainly a Human Resources exercise to counteract the idea that top 20 players who do not start as freshman will be looking to transfer and that a 4 year view is more appropriate for their own future.
BTW. Thanks for the updated roster that you post periodically. I made a copy to have in print. Bottom line, as I see it, is that Geno and the coaches will have the biggest "good" headaches that they have had in a long time.....who to play and when to play them?

Reaction Score
@eebmg - I strongly agree with @Argonaut, @Hoops66 and @Watchdog regarding your assessment of Anna. Clearly you don't think much of her (that's your right). However, it does seem strange that you would be assessing and rating player abilities who have yet to play a single minute of division 1 college ball at the highest level. Some will make the necessary adjustments, some will need more time, and some undoubtedly won't.

Anna has already proven she can play at this level and quite well. And, she did it as a freshman on a team with a couple of "me first" teammates. Had they passed her the ball when she was open rather than taking poor shots themselves, Anna's confidence and abilities would have soared.

Why you threw players into your assessment mix who won't be suiting up until next season is puzzling? Let's get through this season first.

Geno has rarely played more than 7-8 players when the game still mattered in his opinion (even under heavy criticism from several on this site). I seriously doubt he's going to change regardless of the assumed talent remaining on the bench. Anyone who is of the opinion that players (who believe they are talented) aren't going to be unhappy sitting on the bench game after game, has undoubtedly never been in that situation themselves.

Reaction Score
I know the purpose of a sports chat board is to chat, but I think the enthusiasm for the recently announced recruit class is giving short shrift to some great players who are already on the team before these kids have even finished high school.

Reaction Score
Let's not get too carried away. While I would rate the next few years as having one of the highest levels of talent ever, we have few true inside power players. ONO is a good, but not a dominate rebounder or scorer. A lot of athletic shooting guards/small forwards. True, few dominate power forwards in US but there would be mismatches. That being said, I doubt Geno would trade anyone and loves the idea of coaching this deep team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One thing is for sure. Neither the BY, Paige, or Azzi can truthfully complain that the coaching staff did not surround them with potentially outstanding talent. Some coaches were not able to surround their super players with enough talent to take their team to an elite, (top ten) level. For instance, will the Kansas State coaching staff surround Ayoka Lee with enough good talent to take them to to at least the Elite 8?

Reaction Score
How does the extra year of eligibility affect the roster down the road? Do you think any player will use it?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Let's not get too carried away. While I would rate the next few years as having one of the highest levels of talent ever, we have few true inside power players. ONO is a good, but not a dominate rebounder or scorer. A lot of athletic shooting guards/small forwards. True, few dominate power forwards in US but there would be mismatches. That being said, I doubt Geno would trade anyone and loves the idea of coaching this deep team.

Ruthie Hebard 6'4" P (Oregon) was what some consider a dominant post player. Edwards is only an inch shorter. I'm not going to say "IF" she is as dominant, aggressive and "tough" as she is reported to be. Let's assume she is, and plays that kind of game. If she is needed, she can probably be just as dominant and effective as Hebard was.

Of course I want to see ALL of our girls, but I especially want to see Edwards. Quinnipiac will be a "warm-up" for the game with #6 Mississippi State the next day, who I expect to give UConn a much tougher game being a top 6 team. If Geno wants a "banger" in the paint on offense, he may have one in Edwards.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One thing is for sure. Neither the BY, Paige, or Azzi can truthfully complain that the coaching staff did not surround them with potentially outstanding talent. Some coaches were not able to surround their super players with enough talent to take their team to an elite, (top ten) level. For instance, will the Kansas State coaching staff surround Ayoka Lee with enough good talent to take them to to at least the Elite 8?

The answer here is no!! Good talent perhaps, elite talent, no. Kansas State is NOT a destination for the top ranked recruits today. Look back at the last 6 years (class 2014) of the top 50 ranked recruits on ESPN's Hoopgurlz class rankings. See how many went to Kansas State. The answer is one. #28 Christina Carr in the 2018 class, that's it! :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
BRS: Very much appreciated as always. Love those displays and this one was nice a large which is very helpful to the folks with visual problems. One question: we don't have your chart in front of us know, but wasn't there a repeat spread of one of the years?? If intentional, pls clarify; and thank you again for these!

Reaction Score
First, I meant it (as stated) as a general template assuming players are breaking into an already very talented and deep roster. When Anna came in, the team was not deep at all so of course, her progress and playing time were accelerated. I am not trying to focus on any one player who can either overachieve or sadly underachieve. I am just trying to give a template of how incoming students on a very deep and talented roster might profitably view their progress and pathways and not be so concerned with playing time as a freshman.

Finally, I do think of her as more of a tier 3 in my scheme over time and by that, not sure if she can break into the WNBA. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.
Ouch, who killed your dreams as a child? :( What's the point of making such harsh judgments about players who you haven't even seen play a college game/have many years of basketball development ahead of them. If Marina Mabrey can crack the WNBA I think Anna can...she's a legit 6'2" TRUE combo guard (she can run the point/drop dimes and shoot lights out) who's shown a lot of talent in just one year at UConn.

Reaction Score
Ruthie Hebard 6'4" P (Oregon) was what some consider a dominant post player. Edwards is only an inch shorter. I'm not going to say "IF" she is as dominant, aggressive and "tough" as she is reported to be. Let's assume she is, and plays that kind of game. If she is needed, she can probably be just as dominant and effective as Hebard was.

Of course I want to see ALL of our girls, but I especially want to see Edwards. Quinnipiac will be a "warm-up" for the game with #6 Mississippi State the next day, who I expect to give UConn a much tougher game being a top 6 team. If Geno wants a "banger" in the paint on offense, he may have one in Edwards.
And Hebard is nowhere near 6' 4"...... even makes her accomplishment even bigger and opportunities for Edwards....

Reaction Score
One thing not mentioned about Anna is that she has pro size. As pointed out, she also has European pro experience as does Nika who is being mostly overlooked here as usual. I think the issue with Anna for the W based upon last year only, which is a very flawed way of looking at it since she has 3 more years ahead of her here to grow, improve and remedy it, is that she does not have enough quickness and that becomes a defensive weakness. That does not apply to Nika who is very quick. I appreciate the categories and the work it took to devise it but I think Anna and NM are both in the wrong one. Nika is a very, very talented player. As for this year, I see a solid 9 player rotation and pressing defenses as were used last year after the South Carolina game. The defense turned the offense around and transformed the team because it led to transition passing and baskets and movement on the offensive end. We had limited personnel last year though. This year, if we press for extended periods we will be substituting extensively out of both necessity and advantage and that will help with playing time. Another approach is to have a pressing team which might not include CW or AM or EW at times but might include Mir, AG, AE or Liv, Paige and NM. It's a smaller team to be sure if Liv is on the bench for a rest but it is a very good defensive one.

Reaction Score
One thing not mentioned about Anna is that she has pro size. As pointed out, she also has European pro experience as does Nika who is being mostly overlooked here as usual. I think the issue with Anna for the W based upon last year only, which is a very flawed way of looking at it since she has 3 more years ahead of her here to grow, improve and remedy it, is that she does not have enough quickness and that becomes a defensive weakness. That does not apply to Nika who is very quick. I appreciate the categories and the work it took to devise it but I think Anna and NM are both in the wrong one. Nika is a very, very talented player. As for this year, I see a solid 9 player rotation and pressing defenses as were used last year after the South Carolina game. The defense turned the offense around and transformed the team because it led to transition passing and baskets and movement on the offensive end. We had limited personnel last year though. This year, if we press for extended periods we will be substituting extensively out of both necessity and advantage and that will help with playing time. Another approach is to have a pressing team which might not include CW or AM or EW at times but might include Mir, AG, AE or Liv, Paige and NM. It's a smaller team to be sure if Liv is on the bench for a rest but it is a very good defensive one.
Agree on the quickness/defense. I think she can learn to defend using her size/length advantage (being able to cover more floor) and because of her size I don't think she'll ever really be asked to guard small/quick point guards but I think with time she can become an at least average defender of the 2/3 position.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's insane. How can that much talent be managed?
It is insane the question I think is “how do you guard them.“ They are going to be really, really difficult to guard one on one, but you can’t really lay off anyone to provide health defense because everyone’s a good passer and everyone can score.

Reaction Score
We haven't seen Saylor, Nika, or Mir play, but I think that this assessment is really unfair to Anna.

As a freshman, Anna was doing a whole lot more than mop up duty. You aren't the second on the team in scoring in 36 minutes vs. Oregon if you're doing mop up duty. You aren't fourth on the team in MPG if you're doing mop up duty.

After starting 2/19, she finished the season 57/125. As a freshman. If you take out those starting stats, she actually had a better 3P% than Walker.

To then relegate her to maybe part of an eight man rotation as a sophomore, even with this packed roster, is a major dig at what she accomplished last year and the work she put in over the summer to transform her body.
Agreed. Anna will be one of the most significant players on the roster. Kept getting better all season. She was more important than CW when all was said and done. She will be a go to for Geno when stability maters most.

Reaction Score
National, remind me to never, never ever, get into any type of argument with you concerning any aspect of Ct. Women's Basketball. I thought when I knew the measurements of the height's and wing spans of the incoming class that I was ready for Jeopardy.

Reaction Score
How does the extra year of eligibility affect the roster down the road? Do you think any player will use it?
Geno said it won't effect us since we don't have any seniors.

Reaction Score
From a shooting perspective, Anna is the best known quantity that we have. Williams has shot 36% and 33% in her two years, while Westbook posted 31% and 38%. Even after a miserable start, Anna shot 41% for the season. The aspect of this team that makes me excited is that we have two very creative guards who can create opportunities for themselves and others (Westbrook/Bueckers). In order for them to break down defenses, we need players who stretch the floor. Having a player like Ana who is capable of shooting 45% for a season is paramount.

Reaction Score

Next year UConn will have NO fewer than 4 players taller than 6'3, with 3 of them ranked in the Top 5 of their respected recruiting classes, what more do you want?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
BRS: Very much appreciated as always. Love those displays and this one was nice a large which is very helpful to the folks with visual problems. One question: we don't have your chart in front of us know, but wasn't there a repeat spread of one of the years?? If intentional, pls clarify; and thank you again for these!

Not sure I follow?

Reaction Score
Agree on the quickness/defense. I think she can learn to defend using her size/length advantage (being able to cover more floor) and because of her size I don't think she'll ever really be asked to guard small/quick point guards but I think with time she can become an at least average defender of the 2/3 position.

All Makurat needs is to be drafted and make a roster, and UConn players are good at that. 1 or 2 years in the W will assure Makurat of a nice long career in Europe where the UConn pedigree will be as much of a negotiating advantage as a Stanford law degree at any Bay area law firm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom