Updated roster - 4/6/21 | The Boneyard

Updated roster - 4/6/21

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
So, here's an updated roster that I created a while back when Saylor joined. Updated with today's news of Anna's transfer.
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 10.31.33 AM.png

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Saylor's in a class of her own! :D
I must have changed up the format of how to designate Saylor's status a million times. In the future, if it's apparent that she stays with her original 2021 recruiting class, then I'll update. There was also an addition of final ESPN/HoopGirls ratings in light of a prior thread discussion of HS player rankings.

Reaction Score
Saylor is still in the same class as Azzi, Amari, and Caroline Ducharme. She just showed up a couple of months early.

Reaction Score
I must have changed up the format of how to designate Saylor's status a million times. In the future, if it's apparent that she stays with her original 2021 recruiting class, then I'll update. There was also an addition of final ESPN/HoopGirls ratings in light of a prior thread discussion of HS player rankings.
I don't have any problem with the way it's represented, just went for the play on words!

Reaction Score
That 23-24 season to send Paige & Co. out in style could be special given the players and experience levels by that time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Boy that’s still a young team
It is! Changed out juniors to seniors this year and the sophomore class went from 2 to 6 and the freshman class from 6-3.5 but still heavily weighted by underclassmen 10-4. I think having only 3 players new to the coaching and system will make a significant difference though. Easier to get work done efficiently, and hopefully they have a normal summer and fall which will also help immeasurably.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Is there another reputable rating service that you have access to that may make our future teammates look even better? Just asking because on one of the recruiting threads someone posted that there were maybe 5 other rating services without saying who they were. I have only looked at the ESPN/HoopGurlz myself. Thanks.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Is there another reputable rating service that you have access to that may make our future teammates look even better? Just asking because on one of the recruiting threads someone posted that there were maybe 5 other rating services without saying who they were. I have only looked at the ESPN/HoopGurlz myself. Thanks.

Blue Star, Prospects Nation, and All-Star Girls Report all have higher collective rankings for UConn's '20 and '21 classes than ESPN/PBR.

Here's Blue Star's UConn commits with the ranking listed on the left. They essentially didn't rank Edwards for whatever reason.

ASGR's 20-22 player rankings:

Prospects Nation has not ranked the 2022 class yet but Patterson and Brady will be top-6 when they do.

Reaction Score
I believe that all players on this year's roster have an option of a fifth year of eligibility. How to represent that?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I believe that all players on this year's roster have an option of a fifth year of eligibility. How to represent that?
Honestly, not going to try, too many unknowns. I'm going to keep it as is, and next year, if anyone stays, then I'll change the format.

Reaction Score
Blue Star, Prospects Nation, and All-Star Girls Report all have higher collective rankings for UConn's '20 and '21 classes than ESPN/PBR.

Here's Blue Star's UConn commits with the ranking listed on the left. They essentially didn't rank Edwards for whatever reason.

Prospects Nation has not ranked the 2022 class yet but Patterson and Brady will be top-6 when they do.

Thanks for providing that information Sluconn. I hope all the members of the Boneyard will stop using ESPN as the default most quoted rating. The media, fans and the people here all do the same thing, referring to a player as the number whatever recruit "according to ESPN" as if that is the only source worth mentioning. The three you reference are all way superior to ESPN's recruiting coverage and ratings.

Centerstrea asked are there other "reputable' rating services. I take exception to assuming ESPN is a reputable rating service. They are at best a distant fourth to the above three, but by far the most quoted because of ESPN's reach and fame. There are probably a thousand things more important to ESPN than their women's recruiting coverage, and it shows. As an example they still do not show Ayanna Patterson as committed to Uconn as of this morning, and for well over a year they showed Carolyn Ducharme as 5-10 not 6-2.

It won't happen, but the only way ESPN would be forced to approach competency in this area would be if the public stopped quoting ESPN's ratings for women's recruits. Their brand and reach is allowing the worst product to become the default source, which is sad.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

GM @Sluconn Husky and other BY-ers more familiar with various recruiting services - is there one or more that you've found to be more accurate than ESPN/HG? I just used that as a reference based on a prior thread that had a discussion of various recruiting classes by school.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
GM @Sluconn Husky and other BY-ers more familiar with various recruiting services - is there one or more that you've found to be more accurate than ESPN/HG? I just used that as a reference based on a prior thread that had a discussion of various recruiting classes by school.

Opinions vary on that but I just look at all of them. I will say that Blue Star tends to reward their own Blue Star camp players a bit more, but then maybe that's partly because they get to see more of them.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Thank you @Sluconn Husky , much appreciated.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Fixed the header. The difference b/w each group - the top is coded by class (Fr/So/Jr/Sr) and the bottom is similar, by grad year. I was trying to show the number of seniors (etc) at the top, so that it shows the breakdown of the roster by class. The bottom group shows the class transition via color code, for example, Paige's class (yellow) and how it will trend over next few years. Not much of a difference, however after displaying it a few ways, I kept both of them in the spreadsheet. I'm kinda visual that way. :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Who knows how many HS basketball programs and AAU teams. There is very little money in ranking service companies - a few people make a solid living doing it usually running camps, sponsoring tournaments, running AAU teams as part of their jobs. That means seeing all the good HS recruits against decent competition every year is really hard, and most 'rankers' probably see a lot of the kids in two or three day windows a few times a year at specific tournaments where they may see 500 kids across 4 HS classes. The rankings provided by any service are therefore 'suspect' - not because of supposed biases, simply because they have such small windows through which they view the thousands of kids in each class.

One of the reasons USA basketball changed the U16 format for trials to an invited universe and an uninvited audition selection was because of the impossibility of their selectors seeing enough young ballers to make a educated selection on their own. A number of HS kids get their first real exposure through being selected through that application process to come to the selection camp.

Reaction Score
The 2024.5 is great.

Reaction Score

ESPN is using a new service. It may still be Hoopgirlz but is is just a list, nothing more. The player profiles are the old providers' comments. You get what you pay for and ESPN obviously took the low bid.
I agree that all the public ranking services have bias so I like to just think of players as being in a range instead of a hard number.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom