Updated Roster - 2.2.22 | The Boneyard

Updated Roster - 2.2.22

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Updated roster tracker below.

1) Current roster once Cale Millen signs in the spring (still at N. AZ) will be 85 scholarships. I think we can take two more to 87, but at this time we haven not done so.
2) I like Justice Ugo and Thad Dixon, I haven't dug into this, but its possible neither are eligible to sign until spring...something to keep in mind.
3) The second tab in the link is probably the more useful as it is a crude depth chart. No inside info used to formulate the chart, just a guess on my part.
4) And more on the depth chart, for now I have the following guestimated changes.
a) Durante Jones and his 175lb frame moving to corner.
b) Russell Dixon moving from TE to WR.
c) Hardy Langston moving from DE to OLB.
5) I don't have a handle yet on the plan for center beyond Fortin and Y. Walker. Maybe we see them find someone after spring ball.
6) I suspect Myles Bell and Tyler P will be very limited going into the first part of the season given their knee injuries last fall.
7) I don't really know how the staff will assemble the new OL. I have guessed that Fortin stays at C and Haynes stays at RG and worked it from there.
8) I still haven't reviewed the class status of all the players....maybe I will get around to it this spring.

Reaction Score
You mention that QB Millen will sign in the spring. Is there a rule that he has to wait until then? I thought he would be signing today (or maybe that he signed in December).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You mention that QB Millen will sign in the spring. Is there a rule that he has to wait until then? I thought he would be signing today (or maybe that he signed in December).
I'm guessing that he needs to finish certain academic requirements at N. Az before moving on.

Reaction Score
They lost three interior linemen and was hoping they would have been able to keep Reggie Jean in the fold, already 6'4" 280 but remembered there was some speculation that Voorhis maybe able to grow into the position.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They lost three interior linemen and was hoping they would have been able to keep Reggie Jean in the fold, already 6'4" 280 but remembered there was some speculation that Voorhis maybe able to grow into the position.
Yes, I would put a portal/Juco S or CB at the top of their spring wishlist along with a portal/JUCO DT.

I am also curious about Center, will we see some transfer action or will someone be learning the role to have a fourth on the roster.

Reggie Jean is a specimen for his age....no one really stepped up to recruit him....maybe he is JUCO/PG bound.

Reaction Score
Awesome job!! Just wondering whether Rosa will be at RB vs. slot receiver? It doesn't matter much on paper and Spring/Summer will help inform that.... Thanks for all of your work on this!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Coach Mora mention Guidone as an NFL center so I am thinking that’s our center this year.
Yeah, I think I will make some changes later today.

Reaction Score
Mora just said: (1) they are going to get Molette going at corner and (2) Samuels at OLB (maybe some h-back).

Reaction Score
O-Line is going to have a new definite group. I believe Right tackle will probably be the one we won’t see solidified till the fall between Brown/Chase/Niko. Starting guards will be Haynes(RG) because of experience and Ofori-Nyadu (LG) because competed to take over Dylan last fall and has experience. Guidone at center with Fortin developing to take over the following year and Senn at LT.

Reaction Score
O-Line is going to have a new definite group. I believe Right tackle will probably be the one we won’t see solidified till the fall between Brown/Chase/Niko. Starting guards will be Haynes(RG) because of experience and Ofori-Nyadu (LG) because competed to take over Dylan last fall and has experience. Guidone at center with Fortin developing to take over the following year and Senn at LT.
I think Barboza is going to push Ofori-Nyadu for that LG spot. We couldn't run at all behind anyone but Haynes last year and Barboza has the size to move people at the LOS.

Reaction Score
I think Barboza is going to push Ofori-Nyadu for that LG spot. We couldn't run at all behind anyone but Haynes last year and Barboza has the size to move people at the LOS.
I would’ve made that assumption too, but looking at Barboza playing time at UTEP he wasn’t a starter there and was behind a Rs-FR at tackle. I say the reason we couldn’t run was also part of play calling and choice of picking Mensah over Nate most of the time. I really wanna say we have a way talented roster than UTEP but because of play calling and QB rotations throughout the season we didn’t really maximize our potential.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seems like LG will be a battle between Nyadu and Barboza.

I do like the idea of
LT: Senn
LG: Nyadu and Barboza to battle it out, probably both get starts this year
C: Guidone backed up by Fortin, Y Walker with Barboza as your emergency 4th option
RG: Haynes
RT: Nikko/Lundt/Brown battling it out, give a small edge to Nikko, but could see multiple starters over the season

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I never saw where Rayonte Brown was moved from LT to RT? I see him in the mix at LT and I see Chase Lundt and Robbie Rochester still in play at RT. Remember, these guys were RS Freshmen last year so there should be some upside.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Is there any talk of moving Chris Johnson to linebacker? When they recruited him he mainly was an LB - 6-2 215.
Good question, havent seen anything yet.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Been thinking about the 27 signees + the committed Cale Millen.

Here is how I would break them down. I'm going to skip discussion the QB position since the QB is always the most important recruit and Mora clearly did a much better job than any of his three predesessors in pulling in legit talent. I view Roberson, Millen and Turner as all equally important. I like all three more than anything we have had in a long time and I because you never know until they start playing, we will basically have three bites at the apple here. I still like Tyler Phommachanh, I just want him to heal this year, watch and come back in 2023. Steven Krajewski could be a great back up for us and maybe the new offensive scheme helps to boost his play.

So IMHO the most important new additions beyond the QB position which is always most important would be as follows;

1) Victor Rosa and Cam Edwards <--Got them at the top because these two were clearly the best two athletes in CT public school and if we are going to change the narrative on CT and greater New England recruiting then it starts by taking great local players and having them succeed on our field. It would be hard not to think things are changing had these two slipped off to a school like Temple or Iowa like so many local talents. Granted, neither had the P5 world beating their doors down, but I can't help but see that as a result of the COvid bump year narrowing the HS recruiting activity. If Rosa and Edwards emerge as major players, it will do a lot to change the local story. The Rosa and Edwards story however will be written in 2023+ as I expect neither to play much in 2022.

2) Sokoya McDuffie - 6'5'' DT <--I think this kid is going to be the rock we need at the center of the DL around which all our DE/LB twists and stunts can have an impact. He will take a lot of pressure off Gourdine and Evans to shine this year and collectively the three should be a solid rotation. Conversely, how bad would our 2022 D be if either Gourdine or Evans were to get hurt this year and we didnt land this anchor - I shudder to think. We needed this big dude in a big way and I already see NFL draft pick ahead.

3) Marquez Bemby - the 242lb LB from the SEC <--Whether he plays inside or outside, he's going to give our veteran LB unit the beef they need to endure. I like the idea of trying Mitchell at OLB and Bemby inside, but regardless if the staff flips that plan, Mitchell/Bemby/Swenson should have muscle and experience we need to have an effective unit. Webb should be a good back up and I like what I saw in the few snaps Tui Brown played last year. Its worth noting that I had heard Jordan Morrison practiced well last season, so maybe the new staff gives him more field time too. Long term I look forward to the development of Fogle and Speight. Wildcard at the LB position, does Hardy Langston find the fastest way to the field is playing OLB sometime this year...we shall see.

4) Nikko Pohahau - on OL. I might have to eat my words as Jacob Guidone is probably going to also give Nikko at run for the money at C for best new OL, but just looking at the tape and build, I think Nikko has great potential to really anchor one of our OT spots. He plays mean, he looks focused, he looks reliable, he looks balanced and with good foot speed. We are much better off today with the choice of Lundt, Brown, Nikko and Senn all vying for the two OT positions and I think he might emerge as the best of them this season.

5) Jacob Guidone - C. I think the Dartmouth kid will have no problem learning to set the OL and direct the blocking schemes. If this works out like planned it could free up Fortin to play LG giving us more depth and it take some pressure on developing young Yakiri Walker as the center of the future. C and LG were our weakest chain links in the OL last year. Anyone watching the portal closely this offseason probably noticed how hard it is to find centers...for that reason Guidone as a C conversion marks pretty high on my list of accomplishments for its potential impact.

6) Donavon Branch - DE. Branch shows a nice combo of physicality and speed at the DE position. Probably wont have in impact in 2022, but in 2023+ I expect things to happen as he has perhaps the most obvious upside of any of our HS recruits.

7) Notable mentions - Brinson at CB looks solid to me, Hicks is certainly a talent at WR, Joly is very intriguing for a big play TE after a couple years in the weight room, Hoffman is a interesting athlete for DE/TE, Mountali-Johnstone has good potential to be a two way TE that has surprising ability to stretch the field, Murawski at OT is a mountain of a kid, already 344lb him and lastly does a kid like Prince Samuel evolve into the next Darrien Beavers? Skinny kid today, brickhouse LB in three years - I hope so.

Overall I see fewer head scratchers in this recruiting class than the prior years. Edsall usually had 2 to 3 kids that I really didn't understand (ie ceiling = back up). I see everyone coming in has some decent potential and good reason to be a part of this program.

Lets see what new coaching can do for these guys.

Reaction Score

Here is how I would break them down. I'm going to skip discussion the QB position since the QB is always the most important recruit and Mora clearly did a much better job than any of his three predesessors in pulling in legit talent. I view Roberson, Millen and Turner as all equally important. I like all three more than anything we have had in a long time and I because you never know until they start playing, we will basically have three bites at the apple here. I still like Tyler Phommachanh, I just want him to heal this year, watch and come back in 2023. Steven Krajewski could be a great back up for us and maybe the new offensive scheme helps to boost his play.

So IMHO the most important new additions beyond the QB position which is always most important would be as follows;

1) Victor Rosa and Cam Edwards <--Got them at the top because these two were clearly the best two athletes in CT public school and if we are going to change the narrative on CT and greater New England recruiting then it starts by taking great local players and having them succeed on our field. It would be hard not to think things are changing had these two slipped off to a school like Temple or Iowa like so many local talents. Granted, neither had the P5 world beating their doors down, but I can't help but see that as a result of the COvid bump year narrowing the HS recruiting activity. If Rosa and Edwards emerge as major players, it will do a lot to change the local story. The Rosa and Edwards story however will be written in 2023+ as I expect neither to play much in 2022.

2) Sokoya McDuffie - 6'5'' DT <--I think this kid is going to be the rock we need at the center of the DL around which all our DE/LB twists and stunts can have an impact. He will take a lot of pressure off Gourdine and Evans to shine this year and collectively the three should be a solid rotation. Conversely, how bad would our 2022 D be if either Gourdine or Evans were to get hurt this year and we didnt land this anchor - I shudder to think. We needed this big dude in a big way and I already see NFL draft pick ahead.

3) Marquez Bemby - the 242lb LB from the SEC <--Whether he plays inside or outside, he's going to give our veteran LB unit the beef they need to endure. I like the idea of trying Mitchell at OLB and Bemby inside, but regardless if the staff flips that plan, Mitchell/Bemby/Swenson should have muscle and experience we need to have an effective unit. Webb should be a good back up and I like what I saw in the few snaps Tui Brown played last year. Its worth noting that I had heard Jordan Morrison practiced well last season, so maybe the new staff gives him more field time too. Long term I look forward to the development of Fogle and Speight. Wildcard at the LB position, does Hardy Langston find the fastest way to the field is playing OLB sometime this year...we shall see.

4) Nikko Pohahau - on OL. I might have to eat my words as Jacob Guidone is probably going to also give Nikko at run for the money at C for best new OL, but just looking at the tape and build, I think Nikko has great potential to really anchor one of our OT spots. He plays mean, he looks focused, he looks reliable, he looks balanced and with good foot speed. We are much better off today with the choice of Lundt, Brown, Nikko and Senn all vying for the two OT positions and I think he might emerge as the best of them this season.

5) Jacob Guidone - C. I think the Dartmouth kid will have no problem learning to set the OL and direct the blocking schemes. If this works out like planned it could free up Fortin to play LG giving us more depth and it take some pressure on developing young Yakiri Walker as the center of the future. C and LG were our weakest chain links in the OL last year. Anyone watching the portal closely this offseason probably noticed how hard it is to find centers...for that reason Guidone as a C conversion marks pretty high on my list of accomplishments for its potential impact.

6) Donavon Branch - DE. Branch shows a nice combo of physicality and speed at the DE position. Probably wont have in impact in 2022, but in 2023+ I expect things to happen as he has perhaps the most obvious upside of any of our HS recruits.

7) Notable mentions - Brinson at CB looks solid to me, Hicks is certainly a talent at WR, Joly is very intriguing for a big play TE after a couple years in the weight room, Hoffman is a interesting athlete for DE/TE, Mountali-Johnstone has good potential to be a two way TE that has surprising ability to stretch the field, Murawski at OT is a mountain of a kid, already 344lb him and lastly does a kid like Prince Samuel evolve into the next Darrien Beavers? Skinny kid today, brickhouse LB in three years - I hope so.

Overall I see fewer head scratchers in this recruiting class than the prior years. Edsall usually had 2 to 3 kids that I really didn't understand (ie ceiling = back up). I see everyone coming in has some decent potential and good reason to be a part of this program.

You know your stuff and I enjoy reading what you put out.

Reaction Score
You mentioned you heard good things about Senn at tackle, any word on the equally as large Antolovich?

The movement of some players to LB suggests a 3-4 defense and Mora mentioned multiple fronts today. It would be very refreshing if we started scheming a pass rush again. Diaco and Edsall didn't believe in doing it or didn't know how to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Great analysis, one guy I think has a great chance at starting as a Freshman is Spearman at Safety. He is already on campus and is a nice looking athlete.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom