Updated Roster - 2.2.22 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Updated Roster - 2.2.22

Reaction Score
Whatever weight anyone wants to give to a recruiting ranking, you think a ranking from 7 years ago is important? Really?
Agreed. And the other thing is that offers made by the top P5's are also often misleading as it could be roster-padding, a PWO offer, etc.

Reaction Score
Agreed. And the other thing is that offers made by the top P5's are also often misleading as it could be roster-padding, a PWO offer, etc.
I doubt they are offering a guy ranked in the top 450 in the country as PWO, watch his videos the kid is a stud. He got injured while at Miami and it dropped him down on the pecking order, not sure if it lingered last year, but the point was he is coming back (probably with the new staff's blessing) maybe this staff will use him more effectively. That's all.

Reaction Score
How many UConn players on the opening day roster of 2021 could get a roster padding postion at Alabama (not even sure what that is), or even a PWO role.
The Washington kid (think that was his name) bounced around after unfortunate UConn incident and then in last year (after he wasn't going to come back but did due to injuries) of play for Utah was super duper. Could be lot of reasons it hasn't worked for this kid, pedigree does matter when viewing a player potential. A good coach can quickly determine if there is still something there.

Why is BL et al (little law lingo) so negative on all things where people try and see the upside potential, regardless of how much is more hope than probability? Prove this, prove that, how do you know, why do you see glimmer of upside.

This is just another of the many upside potentials for UConn in 2022, not all will work but some will. Mora is doing a super job to date and if his staff wants to keep a former Alabama recruit (and Miami player) for his last year, I am optimistic they see some good potential and the fact the kid was once a sought after recruit just helps with the "could this really be found gold" thoughts.

Reaction Score
The Robert Burns playing time question has a simple answer, he wasn't as good as the players who were getting playing time. Running back is a position where talent almost never goes unnoticed.

Reaction Score
How many UConn players on the opening day roster of 2021 could get a roster padding postion at Alabama (not even sure what that is), or even a PWO role.
The Washington kid (think that was his name) bounced around after unfortunate UConn incident and then in last year (after he wasn't going to come back but did due to injuries) of play for Utah was super duper. Could be lot of reasons it hasn't worked for this kid, pedigree does matter when viewing a player potential. A good coach can quickly determine if there is still something there.

Why is BL et al (little law lingo) so negative on all things where people try and see the upside potential, regardless of how much is more hope than probability? Prove this, prove that, how do you know, why do you see glimmer of upside.

This is just another of the many upside potentials for UConn in 2022, not all will work but some will. Mora is doing a super job to date and if his staff wants to keep a former Alabama recruit (and Miami player) for his last year, I am optimistic they see some good potential and the fact the kid was once a sought after recruit just helps with the "could this really be found gold" thoughts.
I assure you I see both sides of where we are today. I also have consistently for decades been somewhat in the middle on recruiting rankings. There are many here who will say they are useless and irrelevant. I don't go nearly that far.

But I don't get the thought that one can't want the team to succeed, and be hoping Mora can get us there, without having to build that belief on silliness. And worrying what a young man who struggled for playing time on an awful team last year was rated by a service seven years ago is pure silliness. Or that I should suspend how much I think ratings are worth when they're used optimistically, but it's o.k. to criticize them when they're used pessimistically.

Reaction Score

Probably not as many as you think. They have linebackers that are faster than many of our Wide Receivers.

Reaction Score
I doubt they are offering a guy ranked in the top 450 in the country as PWO, watch his videos the kid is a stud. He got injured while at Miami and it dropped him down on the pecking order, not sure if it lingered last year, but the point was he is coming back (probably with the new staff's blessing) maybe this staff will use him more effectively. That's all.
I wasn't referring to this one player - I was speaking in general terms.

Reaction Score

Not many/none - you can't compare our roster to Alabama as it's Venus and Mars.

My point was that in the past the top P5 programs would stuff guys on their roster and then recruit over them knowing that it was difficult for guys to transfer to another program. This was happening all across the SEC for example (and other top tier P5's). This practice is going to dissipate with the advent of the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Nice job with the projected starting line-up.

One thing that stands out is how young the team is. Only three projected starters have 1 year of eligibility remaining.
Gang, I have now completed the update of the roster tracker to include a simple eligibility estimate next to each name. The first number is the total span of remaining of eligibility years and the second number is the number of years of on field eligibility. By example 5-4 would mean 5 years to play 4 or 2-2 would mean two years to play two (which means said player has already used their redshirt).

Things to keep in mind:
1) The entire 2020 season does not count towards any athlete's eligibility regardless if they played or not.
2) I have not factored in medical redshirts which are often not made public until the moment it is relevant (ie a player is in their final year, then they might apply regarding a prior season for the exemption). Seems like Myles Bell might be a future medical redshirt candidate.
3) I haven't perfected what to do about kids that simply graduate or exit the program but not enter the portal. So, rather than crowd up the charts with more designations I decided to just tag anyone that exits UConn who doesn't entire the portal as "NFL Draft" because surely that is a simple way to state that they are done with college athletics and now are draft candidates (like all us old people!).
4) I haven't bothered to get too accurate with the remaining eligibility of kids that are transferring out, particularly the kids the left prior to this fall. If I have mistakes, its probably with this info which I consider no longer relevant for our purposes anyway.
5) On the first tab I continue to have kids in academic class standings, generally I would ignore that as the academic standing is irrelevant to the essential questions which is # of years of remaining eligibility!
6) I welcome corrections as I am sure I have a few mistakes. But I ask that if you have a correction/question could you please take the time to detail your eligibility assertion rather than merely challenge it w/o doing any homework? Please briefly outline their prior years - Thanks.

Observations:
Congrats to Nyadu and Swenson as the players with the most seasons with the program going back to 2018!
Congrats to Jacob Guidone - he's 22! A 22 year old center ought to be beneficial.

List of 2021 redshirt freshman scholarship players (played 4 or less games):

Joshua Tracy
Yakiri Walker
Maxwell Modeste
Malcolm Bell
Deon McLean
Pryce Yates
Langston Hardy
Deondrick Speight
Danny Antolovich
Chris Johnson
Tyler Phommachanh

And class of 2020 players that still have four years of eligibility (2020 didn't count and they appeared in less than 4 games in 2021):
Darious Bush
Carter Hooper
Brendan Heatherman Jr
Thanks for all your hard work it is greatly appreciated. Also, Steven Krajewski was in the 2018 class with Nydau and Swenson.

Reaction Score
The Robert Burns playing time question has a simple answer, he wasn't as good as the players who were getting playing time. Running back is a position where talent almost never goes unnoticed.
I would tend to disagree. Mensah had an off season. I’m sure Burns would’ve put up more yards if he were given the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Burns will get playing time this year. He's a big back that will get carries on short yard situations and goal line opportunities. If I remember correctly, he was playing special teams last year too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom