Updated Resume (2/24) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Updated Resume (2/24)

Reaction Score
The tone some people take to other posters is pretty unnecessary. I make mistakes & say some iffy things after tough loses at times but I try to respectful to others when I disagree or point out a mistake.

I could be misreading your tone just how it comes off....we're all on the same team.
Common tone amongst lawyers...I've seen it too much.

Reaction Score
Jerry Palm article. He touches on the injured player / roster addition scenario

Palms bracketology has us as a 9-seed BEFORE the Gtown game

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah so far tonight the teams we needed to lose have lost. S hall, unc, Dayton, last check Indiana was losing too

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
NO, You seem to have a bad take on how the bubble works. A bubble team getting hot DOES NOT increase the odds of other bubble teams getting into the tournament by taking the hot team — in this case UNC — off the bubble and into the Tourney. UNC getting hot REDUCES THE NUMBER OF BUBBLE SPOTS BY 1, making it harder for every other bubble team to get in. Plus, A Marquette win helps the computer numbers of all Big East teams who played or will play them.

Math much?

And people say I am an scalitohole.

Reaction Score
Hard to beat a team 3 times ?
Hate to be that guy (just kidding. I love it.), but this is one of those pieces of conventional wisdom that is not backed up at all by the data. From “It’s Hard To Beat A Team Three Times” | COACH BOB WALSH:

"According to STATS LLC., there have been 981 similar matchups across Division I college basketball over the past 10 seasons. The teams entering the third game 2-0 are a combined 710-271 (.724 winning percentage) in the third meeting.​
So over a 10-year period in college basketball including almost 1,000 games, the team that won the first 2 games won the third meeting 72.4% of the time. So it clearly doesn’t follow that it is hard to beat a team 3 times. In fact, it’s actually kind of easy."​

Reaction Score
Hate to be that guy (just kidding. I love it.), but this is one of those pieces of conventional wisdom that is not backed up at all by the data. From “It’s Hard To Beat A Team Three Times” | COACH BOB WALSH:

"According to STATS LLC., there have been 981 similar matchups across Division I college basketball over the past 10 seasons. The teams entering the third game 2-0 are a combined 710-271 (.724 winning percentage) in the third meeting.​
So over a 10-year period in college basketball including almost 1,000 games, the team that won the first 2 games won the third meeting 72.4% of the time. So it clearly doesn’t follow that it is hard to beat a team 3 times. In fact, it’s actually kind of easy."​
Nice find....we'll be the 27.6%. Plus we have Bouk back who was out for 2nd game.

Reaction Score
Nice find....we'll be the 27.6%. Plus we have Bouk back who was out for 2nd game.
I hope so, and I agree with all those who think we would have a great chance should we face Creighton again. I am merely commenting generally on the inaccuracy of this piece of conventional wisdom.

Reaction Score
I suspect the data analyzed doesn't quite measure the spirit of the point. If you beat team A by 15 points twice, and then meet them in a conference tournament as a higher seed vs a lower seed, I bet you win again frequently. If you have 2 teams that can go toe to toe and you win twice by 3 points, I bet that 3rd game is more iffy. The spirit of the tough to win 3 times is more in line with the latter scenario. Analyzing all match ups doesn't really yield a conclusion that is worth much.

Reaction Score
I suspect the data analyzed doesn't quite measure the spirit of the point. If you beat team A by 15 points twice, and then meet them in a conference tournament as a higher seed vs a lower seed, I bet you win again frequently. If you have 2 teams that can go toe to toe and you win twice by 3 points, I bet that 3rd game is more iffy. The spirit of the tough to win 3 times is more in line with the latter scenario. Analyzing all match ups doesn't really yield a conclusion that is worth much.
I suppose your point applies to anyone who is aware of the data but still talks about the difficulty for a team to beat a somewhat evenly matched team 3 times. I suspect, however, that the phrase is parroted so much that some casual observers have come to expect powerhouse team A to lose its third game against bottom feeder team B.

Perhaps the cliché should become, "It's tough to beat a good team three times."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jerry Palm article. He touches on the injured player / roster addition scenario

Palms bracketology has us as a 9-seed BEFORE the Gtown game

Whoa there. Slow your roll with the actual content. This thread exists so people can yell at strangers on the internet.

He said what I've always understood. Seeding may reflect what your team did with the roster you have coming in to the tournament. That cuts both ways. Assuming we can get in, I expect our seeding to be better than "last four in".

Reaction Score
Seton Hall is a must win. Going into the BET 1-5 against teams that have a chance at the tourney (Xavier, SHU, Nova, Creighton) would be bad. Just beating two of the worst teams in the league at home doesn’t move the needle (unless we lose one, of course).

Reaction Score
A few relevant notes for our quad wins/losses:

St John's at 77 in NET, if they can get up to 75 our only Q3 loss becomes Q2

Providence up to 80 in NET, if they move up to 75 that becomes a Q1 loss and Q2 win (currently Q2 loss and Q3 win)

Reaction Score
Whoa there. Slow your roll with the actual content. This thread exists so people can yell at strangers on the internet.

He said what I've always understood. Seeding may reflect what your team did with the roster you have coming in to the tournament. That cuts both ways. Assuming we can get in, I expect our seeding to be better than "last four in".

I'm not sure which bracketologist to trust there is such a discrepancy. Palm had us as a 9-seed before the G-town win and Lunardi has us a first four in/out depending on what he eats for breakfast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom