Updated New Hockey Arena Info | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Updated New Hockey Arena Info

Reaction Score
I think one probably led to the other. Triborough was a cash machine masquerading as a traffic machine.

Quarters

Think about that. If he took in $100m in tolls, he was able to finance a significant multiple of other projects with low interest rates of Tax Exempt bonds. Kingdom. One after another

He gave - I think Duke Ellington - a RESIDENCY at Jones Beach & his own pavilion because he liked his music. From quarters.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There’s a NYS Assembly Committee on Public Authorities I suggest you sit and watch.

Second. Moses built an incredible amount of parks. Most every bridge in the 5 boroughs. Tunnels. Westside Highway he conceived when he was 24. It’s hard to separate that from the Butthead who took homes from 5000 people to build the Major Deegan or something. Can’t square the arrogance.

The arrogance is really the thing.

You can go back in to the 1930's in the New York Times and read articles about how Yonkers and Bronxville were against a Taconic extension because it would cause flooding in the area of the Bronx River.

Robert Moses eventually built it anyway.

Sixty years later, I got a call at 1 am last night that for the umpteenth-time, the area around the Sprain/Bronx River was flooding. The work to build the Sprain basically moved the Bronx River and the Grassy Sprain Brook and never bothered to consider that they would seek to go back where they belonged if their level was raised by even two inches of rain.

Reaction Score
There’s a NYS Assembly Committee on Public Authorities I suggest you sit and watch.

Second. Moses built an incredible amount of parks. Most every bridge in the 5 boroughs. Tunnels. Westside Highway he conceived when he was 24. It’s hard to separate that from the Butthead who took homes from 5000 people to build the Major Deegan or something. Can’t square the arrogance.

Someone took the current Google maps of NYC and edietd the to show where the proposed cross-Midtown and Cross-Downtown highways woudl have gone.
Moses downtown.jpg

Reaction Score

You can go back in to the 1930's in the New York Times and read articles about how Yonkers and Bronxville were against a Taconic extension because it would cause flooding in the area of the Bronx River.

Sixty years later, I got a call at 1 am last night that for the umpteenth-time, the area around the Sprain/Bronx River was flooding. The work to build the Sprain basically moved the Bronx River and the Grassy Sprain Brook and never bothered to consider that they would seek to go back where they belonged if their level was raised by even two inches of rain.

He was like J. Edgar Hoover also. Many times a mayor or the Governor tried to fire him. He seemed to have secret files that was highly damaging to whomever that person was. He played it very rough.

Reaction Score
Moses’ hometown: New Haven

Nope

He went to Yale. A huge part of his life. But he grew up wealthy on Manhattan’s Upper Eastside. Grandparents owned a department store in New Haven; Grandma got snooty about living downscale & they sold it before he was born.

Reaction Score
Nope

He went to Yale. A huge part of his life. But he grew up wealthy on Manhattan’s Upper Eastside. Grandparents owned a department store in New Haven; Grandma got snooty about living downscale & they sold it before he was born.
Thought he was born in the Elm City; lived in New Haven until about 9; turns out we’re both correct

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
His dream job was governor of CT. You look at the crappy roads here and wonder if he didn't get the job when nobody noticed.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

The book, and Caro, in general, are treasures. Anyone who hasn't read it are worse for it.

My favorite illustration is the routing of the Northern State, to get around the right people's land. Can you imagine commuting every day on this road, knowing that your drive is worse, because of corruption? It's amazing to comprehend.

1563547375195.png

Reaction Score
Third post

Reading the University PR

I suspect he is wrong. Why would you have a Private Developer OWN the facility.

There’s a significant Basis Point penalty not to have a University Entity own this. Bond markets LOVE that the Institution is the owner. Not some third party. Remember - 50-75 bps on Bond Constant is significant amount of dollar proceeds you don’t fund.

It doesn’t make sense for anything but a related party to own. EVEN if it’s a Shell - let’s call it the Jim Calhoun Bruce Marshall UConn Hockey Foundation (a sub of UCONN Foundation) with ZERO assets, bond market will love that more than some schmuck private developer. Then. The thought is the UNIVERSITY will never renege on the bond P&I on their land. And there will be a Letter of Credit to cover any unforeseen liquidity issues in the market or stuff (think insurance or act of God).

I simply don’t believe the Courant or this PR guy talked to the Investment Banker.
Pudge I’ve done them where the private entity is the “owner” for tax purposes. He can take depreciation and so forth. It has been a few years so my command of the details is hazy but there were benefits that went to the project from doing it that wAy. I was working for the public entity in that deal so didn’t do a ton of research into details either. Tax counsel said it was ok and the analysis showed it made sense.

Reaction Score
My favorite Moses story is when he tore down the ferry dock while the ferry was out because he wanted to replace with a bridge!

Reaction Score
Why the South Eagleville grad students housing ... or Mansfield Depot Campus?

I think the University and the Board don't see these at core campus. Priority. However all these are ASSETS ... and valuable. Very valuable in a town that has water & sewer issues + is tough on Approvals. The University has infrastructure & has approval authority.

Reaction Score
The book, and Caro, in general, are treasures. Anyone who hasn't read it are worse for it.

My favorite illustration is the routing of the Northern State, to get around the right people's land. Can you imagine commuting every day on this road, knowing that your drive is worse, because of corruption? It's amazing to comprehend.

View attachment 44912 View attachment 44912

Corruption wasn’t defined by envelopes of cash to Moses.

That’s part of Caro’s Theme. Moses grew POWER by favors and leverage. Stuff like that highway earned him friends. And this transcends to today. Moses used Power to do whatever he wanted. Yes ... he wasn’t kind to people of color. Yes ... the Dodgers surely are in Chavez Ravine because of him. Etc.

Reaction Score
My favorite Moses story is when he tore down the ferry dock while the ferry was out because he wanted to replace with a bridge!
Opportunist, that ferry had no use for the dock after departing to the other side. Beautiful, but did Moses part the waters between both the departure and intended arrival dock?

Reaction Score
I’ve always been intrigued by the story of a bridge to Long Island through wealthy Rye by the Playland.

Reaction Score
This is my sixth season as a UConn hockey season ticketholder, since Hockey East day #1. While the XL Center is convenient, unlike many west-of-the-river fans of my age (UConn class of 1974, living in Farmington), I WILL to drive to Storrs for on-campus hockey. The atmosphere with hundreds/thousands of student in attendance will never be matched in Hartford. So build the damn thing, BUT..........don't freeze the loyal season ticketholders out, those who have supported the building of the program through every Hockey East losing season. We bleed National Flag Blue too!

Reaction Score
This is my sixth season as a UConn hockey season ticketholder, since Hockey East day #1. While the XL Center is convenient, unlike many west-of-the-river fans of my age (UConn class of 1974, living in Farmington), I WILL to drive to Storrs for on-campus hockey. The atmosphere with hundreds/thousands of student in attendance will never be matched in Hartford. So build the damn thing, BUT.....don't freeze the loyal season ticketholders out, those who have supported the building of the program through every Hockey East losing season. We bleed National Flag Blue too!

Me too man. Section 107.
I hope they give us 1st dibs on the chairbacks. I’ll pay a seat license if it really goes to supporting the hockey program

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
This makes me wonder, I know it doesn't include an ice plant, but includes luxury boxes and a state-of-the-art broadcast center. $45 million. And it's gotta be way more expensive to build in Fairfield than Storrs Fairfield U. plans $45M Convocation Center

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
At a peecee hockey game tonight because my sister goes here. On campus arena is very nice. 3,000 seats, all chairbacks, big student section, and a few luxury boxes. Really angers me that our new arena couldn’t have these amemities, even though it’s smaller.

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
At a peecee hockey game tonight because my sister goes here :)(). On campus arena is very nice. 3,000 seats, all chairbacks, big student section, and a few luxury boxes. Really angers me that our new arena couldn’t have these amemities, even though it’s smaller.

It's impossible arguing it can't. It is not more expensive to build in Storrs than Providence. Period.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It's impossible arguing it can't. It is not more expensive to build in Storrs than Providence. Period.
Why?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom