Updated ESPN 2021 rankings | The Boneyard

Updated ESPN 2021 rankings

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Woah, are we sleeping on Samson Johnson? I feel like we talk a lot about the incoming guards, but Samson will be critical long-term with Whaley and Polley gone after next year, and possibly Sanogo if he finds himself on draft boards.

Reaction Score
Woah, are we sleeping on Samson Johnson? I feel like we talk a lot about the incoming guards, but Samson will be critical long-term with Whaley and Polley gone after next year, and possibly Sanogo if he finds himself on draft boards.
I don't think so. We've had lots of discussion about his upside. What you're probably sensing is that many feel like he's less likely to have a huge impact next year than the others, because it takes longer to develop the average big and he's less polished individually.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Scouting reports still refer to Johnson as a work in progress.

I remember last fall reading from one of the services they were rating him a 4 star based on current abilities but he's really a 5-star in progress.

I don't expect refined scoring from him but I do expect him to be better as a frosh then Akok was as a frosh. Johnson should be real lively on the court running from rim to rim rebounding, blocking shots and harrassing passing lanes. If he can score more than 7 ppg I'll consider that a bonus.

Reaction Score
So basically 3 top 60 recruits for ‘21, not too shabby. Class of ‘22 is setting up to be a monster class. If they can find a reclass that can join the team early at some point this season as well, it’s going to be a very exciting young nucleus in Storrs. That’s how you take the next step.

Reaction Score
Yeah so we definitely have a top 5 front court in the country. Samson, Akok, Whaley, Sanogo? I'm not sure I would take anyone else over that

Reaction Score
Yeah so we definitely have a top 5 front court in the country. Samson, Akok, Whaley, Sanogo? I'm not sure I would take anyone else over that
What Do You Think Crime Drama GIF by Mainstreet Pictures

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I don't think so. We've had lots of discussion about his upside. What you're probably sensing is that many feel like he's less likely to have a huge impact next year than the others, because it takes longer to develop the average big and he's less polished individually.
And also we are already pretty dang comfy in the front court even without Johnson. His sophomore year is when he’ll blossom probably, unless he’s just so good you can’t not play him. But kind of like you said, that’s unusual for a freshman big man.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Holy crap. He’s only a few spots away from being a 5 star.

Reaction Score
From the first moment I saw Sampson's video, I was impressed by how he moved for a guy his size. He is agile, smooth, fast, athletic with a nice vertical. That all has to turned into basketball value but the kid is a WOW! His ranking is now more in line with how much of a freak he is.

Reaction Score
Biggest question for me is his outside shot. When he gets to Storrs, is it just that he has potential there or can he actually step out and hit that shot at a solid clip? If the outside shot has become more dependable, then this ranking makes a ton of sense.

Reaction Score
I don't expect refined scoring from him but I do expect him to be better as a frosh then Akok was as a frosh.
Johnson is coming into UConn with a similar skill set as Akok had and a similar ranking. He's also coming into a situation with more talent in the frontcourt than there was when Akok came in. I would tone down the expectations for his freshman year.

Reaction Score
I doubt that Samson has an impact like Akok did his freshman year. There just isn't the time available. He's definitely playing behind Whaley/Sanogo, and also competing with Rese for some minutes at the 4, and Springs if he improves over the break.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Really hate to break this to you, but the ESPN list is just a random list.

Look at the links in the player profiles...

Video - empty.
Scouting reports - empty.
Player news - empty.

It’s just a list of names. ESPN’s recruiting stuff is just a dead stick.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score

Video - empty.
Player news - empty.

I feel like it used to be better and started falling off a cliff in 2017.

Reaction Score

Video - empty.
Player news - empty.

No it's a high rating, so that means it's good.

If he wasn't rated highly then ESPN is biased against us and he would be highly rated if he signed with Duke/UNC/Kentucky/Kansas.

Get it together man.

Reaction Score
I doubt that Samson has an impact like Akok did his freshman year. There just isn't the time available. He's definitely playing behind Whaley/Sanogo, and also competing with Rese for some minutes at the 4, and Springs if he improves over the break.
This. Johnson is even more raw than Akok was. His ceiling is immense so rank him wherever you want, but I think he’ll have the lowest freshman impact of the 3.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
These kids are all going to be so good. All 3 will be rotational pieces immediately. Big reason why we’re standing pat right now. This class will be the best we’ve had in a while.

Reaction Score
many feel like he's less likely to have a huge impact next year than the others, because it takes longer to develop the average big and he's less polished individually.
I heard the same thing about Sanogo and look how that turned out. Samson is going to make an impact in his first year.

Reaction Score
I heard the same thing about Sanogo and look how that turned out. Samson is going to make an impact in his first year.

How did that turn out? Sanogo worked his way into the starting lineup and maybe 24 minutes a game, rarely being on the court in the last five minutes.

He will be outstanding next year. This year he contributed.

And, by the way, those who saw him in high school told us he was much more advanced as a basketball player than they’re saying Samson is.

I’m not knocking Samson. But if he is as good as Akok was as a freshman that would be good. And, of course, our team got better after Akok went down with his injury.

Reaction Score
How did that turn out? Sanogo worked his way into the starting lineup and maybe 24 minutes a game, rarely being on the court in the last five minutes.

He will be outstanding next year. This year he contributed.

And, by the way, those who saw him in high school told us he was much more advanced as a basketball player than they’re saying Samson is.

I’m not knocking Samson. But if he is as good as Akok was as a freshman that would be good. And, of course, our team got better after Akok went down with his injury.

Sanogo wasn't as high ranked because he doesn't really have an NBA skillset or athleticism. Johnson is ranked higher because he is a freak athlete. If he had Sanogo's skill he's be a top 5 pick next year--he doesn't.

Johnson averaged 13.5/7.1 this year (ish), Sanogo averaged 14.1/9.4 including some massive games against top-notch competition. Remember, Sanogo also reclassed... he's only a few months older than Johnson. That same season when they were both technically juniors still, Johnson averaged 9.6/5.4.

Sanogo is obviously the more polished player, and I think everyone who saw him knew that he was pretty likely to be a contributor. Johnson is so limited offensively, that unless he's a dynamite defender, he isn't going to earn 24 minutes a game. If he DOES earn those kind of minutes, it means he's beating Whaley/Springs for minutes at the 4, which would mean we are a very, very good team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom