Updated 247 Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updated 247 Rankings

Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, depending again on how much stock you put in these rankings, a lot of those “higher ranked guys” dropped throughout the year. Solo has now since surpassed both Griffiths & Bowen.
i'll admit i'm a tad angsty....but we're going on 7 years without a tourney win including 2 consecutive first round upsets.

so maybe if we'd just beaten NMST i wouldnt be worried about not getting stewart, or about a recruiting class that will most likely end up ranked somewhere between 25-30, or about possibly having to sign 5 transfers next summer... but we didnt win so now i'm worried

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s almost like it’s the type of class where you go hard after your select few targets, don’t reach, and fill in with transfers in the Spring, if needed…
Where do you think we stand with Jaylin Stewart? It’s hard to read his recruitment, but we sure seemed interested during the summer.

Reaction Score
Sure for the 247 ranking. For the composite Griffiths is #31, Bowen is #33, and Ball is #113.

To be fair, that's because one of the services hasn't updated in a long time. I believe ESPN. Castle is in the mid 20's on ON3, Rivals and 247 (23/27/25), but in the 50's on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Maybe they should wait and reel in two top 40 guards later in the process, so it’s more appreciated.*

*that is a joke, for those who need the clarification
Yeah these classes with multiple top talents are rarer than people think. The classes since 2003 that have had 2 top 50 recruits by 24/7 composite:

2006 - Stanley, Dyson, Kelly
2008 - Kemba, Majok
2009 - Oriakhi, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel
2012 - Drummond, Calhoun
2016 - Durham, Gilbert

So have only had the 1 in the last decade. Obviously as discussed they're only both top 50 in one ranking at the moment, but we'll see where they end up.

Reaction Score
This has been explained to him multiple times but it doesn't support his argument so he ignores the explanation and continues to repeat it
What does Castle have to do with anything I said?

I gave the composite rankings for Griffiths, Bowen, and Ball because MDHuskfan referenced those three players.

I expect better from you but you just couldn't help yourself.

Reaction Score

I gave the composite rankings for Griffiths, Bowen, and Ball because MDHuskfan referenced those three players.

I didn't bring up Castle so take that up with him. I'm just saying you know full well why Ball's composite ranking is misleading and continue to cite it when it suits your argument

Reaction Score
I didn't bring up Castle so take that up with him. I'm just saying you know full well why Ball's composite ranking is misleading and continue to cite it when it suits your argument
I didn't cite anything, I just agreed with MDHuskFan that Ball is now ranked higher than them on 247's new ranking, and that Griffiths and Bowen are ranked higher in the composite.

You chose to go after me replying to a post where a poster brought up Castle which has nothing to do with my post.

I know Ball's composite took a tumble recently and I'm not sure why even though you're telling me I know why. He's a three star on ESPN now which I don't think was always the case, I don't know when they last updated their rankings and when they will again. He's ranked #118 on On3 which you informed me the other day is now a part of the composite rankings and they last updated it on the first of this month.

Reaction Score

I thought your counter argument was reasonable & valid.

I only referenced them 2 because they’re usually the ones that people reference when saying we missed out on this “monster class” and come off disappointed in what we ended up with.

Not directed at you, but the general crowd

Reaction Score

That's a reasonable point. What I was saying is that it's pretty clear that our guys are on the way up, and their rankings aren't a great representation of our class at the moment.

Reaction Score
I didn't cite anything, I just agreed with MDHuskFan that Ball is now ranked higher than them on 247's new ranking, and that Griffiths and Bowen are ranked higher in the composite.

You chose to go after me replying to a post where a poster brought up Castle which has nothing to do with my post.

I know Ball's composite took a tumble recently and I'm not sure why even though you're telling me I know why. He's a three star on ESPN now which I don't think was always the case, I don't know when they last updated their rankings and when they will again. He's ranked #118 on On3 which you informed me the other day is now a part of the composite rankings and they last updated it on the first of this month.
Maybe I came across too strong but the constant shots against Ball on this board are just getting annoying by people upset about this recruiting class. He's a really good recruit and we should be thrilled we got him

It's the ESPN rankings which haven't been updated since end of April/early May that are driving his composite ranking down. I assumed you knew why because we had this discussion last week about why it was so low, so I'll apologize if it came across as harsh

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Your post would have been no less effective if you'd have just left off this final paragraph.

Perhaps you just couldn't help yourself.

It's notable to see you throw a needless observation out toward somebody else and not recognize yourself operating similarly.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, depending again on how much stock you put in these rankings, a lot of those “higher ranked guys” dropped throughout the year. Solo has now since surpassed both Griffiths & Bowen.
UConn bounce.

Reaction Score
I really don't get the angst looking at Ball's composite ranking on 247Sports. Plus we all know rankings aren't the be all end all.

FWIW Ball is ranked #46 on Rivals. So that's 2 very reputable places that have him in the top 50. I'll be curious to see where ESPN ranks him. Sometimes these recruiting services are very stubborn to move players way up. Well unless they commit to Duke or Kentucky. Then they go into the top 20.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't put much stock in ESPN's recruiting rankings, they really aren't what they used to be, so even if they skew the composite numbers, we shouldn't be putting any weight on them.
Taking the average of 4-6 sites is good and or throw out the low and high and take that average. But honestly they all are only good barometers -especially below the top 30 rated players.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't put much stock in ESPN's recruiting rankings, they really aren't what they used to be, so even if they skew the composite numbers, we shouldn't be putting any weight on them.

I am convinced they just wait for 247 and Rivals to update their rankings and then make there's slightly different so they don't get sued.

Reaction Score
They used to be pretty good, some 7-10 years ago. Now it seems like they’ve been mailing it in.

Reaction Score
I really don't get the angst looking at Ball's composite ranking on 247Sports. Plus we all know rankings aren't the be all end all.

FWIW Ball is ranked #46 on Rivals. So that's 2 very reputable places that have him in the top 50. I'll be curious to see where ESPN ranks him. Sometimes these recruiting services are very stubborn to move players way up. Well unless they commit to Duke or Kentucky. Then they go into the top 20.

There's no angst from me, I think Ball has star potential but I was just giving his composite ranking. Two sites have him ranked high and two currently have him as a 3 star, ESPN is going to update their rankings so hopefully he moves up a lot.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with ESPN's talent evaluation? All these guys see the same tournaments and players and often work between the sites. I've seen people posting that ESPN has sucked at scouting for years, Finkelstein was a scout for ESPN last year and now runs scouting for 247. Biancardi and Borzello are at ESPN. Jamie Shaw was with Rivals and now runs scouting for on3.

Reaction Score
I am convinced they just wait for 247 and Rivals to update their rankings and then make there's slightly different so they don't get sued.

Pretty much. They were already bad and when Finkelstein left, it seems to have gotten worse. Years ago, Telep was fantastic. I think the market got a bit diluted when some really hard workers (a guy like Alex Kline, for example) made it big and more people thought they could do it, too. Recruiting is always going to be subjective, but if things other than a player’s ability and performance are impacting your coverage, it‘s just a waste of time.

I still don’t quite understand On3. It’s only about a year old, and they have some good people behind it. But, there are so many moving parts to it- recruiting, NIL, fan pages. I also couldn’t care less about college football and that seems to be such a major focus for them (admittedly, that is a me problem and not their fault).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My instinct tells me ESPN would inflate the rankings for players going to "ESPN colleges". Anyone ever do the analysis on that angle?

Reaction Score
Pretty much. They were already bad and when Finkelstein left, it seems to have gotten worse. Years ago, Telep was fantastic. I think the market got a bit diluted when some really hard workers (a guy like Alex Kline, for example) made it big and more people thought they could do it, too. Recruiting is always going to be subjective, but if things other than a player’s ability and performance are impacting your coverage, it‘s just a waste of time.

I still don’t quite understand On3. It’s only about a year old, and they have some good people behind it. But, there are so many moving parts to it- recruiting, NIL, fan pages. I also couldn’t care less about college football and that seems to be such a major focus for them (admittedly, that is a me problem and not their fault).

On3 is definitely weird. I think their plan old rankings look pretty solid generally.

The whole NIL predictor thing seems like a total crapshoot though. How are they actually calculating that Soloman Ball is worth 12k in NIL, Ross is worth 9.5k, and Stephon Castle is worth 101k. It doesn't really seem like something that can be so easily quantified by inputting social media followers and rankings into an algorithm.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom