Updated 2024 Spring Roster

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpeg
    IMG_3082.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 48
Reaction Score
So what is your hope/philosophy, given that all 4 QB's on paper seem to deserve a real look?

Redshirt Welliver?
Relegate Fagnano to safety valve
Give ample PT to Evers and McDonald in the first third of the season, allowing their results to state their case??

Is having 2 #1 QB's the same as having none?

Interesting drama about to be played out.

Reaction Score
So what is your hope/philosophy, given that all 4 QB's on paper seem to deserve a real look?

Redshirt Welliver?
Give ample PT to Evers and McDonald in the first third of the season, allowing their results to state their case??

If Mora and crew can't figure this out, they are the wrong guys. Whether it becomes obvious in camp or they need to give several guys "a chance to show out" its on them.

Reaction Score
If Mora and crew can't figure this out, they are the wrong guys. Whether it becomes obvious in camp or they need to give several guys "a chance to show out" its on them.
Yeah, you are on the money. Betting on Mora and the staff. Sure feels like we are going to get good play from the QB position this year.

Reaction Score

Redshirt Welliver?

UConn has one QB with actual college playing experience (Fagnano) as the other 3 scholarship QBs have thrown a grand total of 1 pass in college. Thus, it's hard to say what UConn has at QB this season. It looks like the toughest game of the season will probably be @maryland which is the first game of the season. Unless one of the young QBs really stands out in camp, I think you go with Fagnano against Maryland and use week 2, home against Sacred Heart, as the first start for one of the younger QBs to give him confidence.

Reaction Score
UConn has one QB with actual college playing experience (Fagnano) as the other 3 scholarship QBs have thrown a grand total of 1 pass in college. Thus, it's hard to say what UConn has at QB this season. It looks like the toughest game of the season will probably be @maryland which is the first game of the season. Unless one of the young QBs really stands out in camp, I think you go with Fagnano against Maryland and use week 2, home against Sacred Heart, as the first start for one of the younger QBs to give him confidence.

You play the QB who was the most capable during camp, regardless of experience.

Reaction Score
Not sure I follow. Start Fagnano with thought that will prove he shouldn't be the guy? Then pick one of the other 3 to play game 2. Think that might lose the team.
Players know who should start if its clear, if muddled there can be some "choosing sides" but whoever then starts either proves he's the guy or gets replaced in some orderly manner (and if done poorly Mora gets himself replaced).
My hope is Mora picks the best guy for 2024, kid doesn't get hurt and UConn doesn't play 12 games with the other team always having the better QB.

Reaction Score
Nobody is going to do that. You go with your #1 from game 1. Hopefully it works out and he holds the job all year. If it doesn’t you go with someone else, but going with a guy you don’t think can do the job just because you are a big underdog is not something any coach would do. Unless he wants to lose the team before playing a game. If the coach doesn’t play to win, why would anyone else?

Reaction Score
Nobody is going to do that. You go with your #1 from game 1. Hopefully it works out and he holds the job all year. If it doesn’t you go with someone else, but going with a guy you don’t think can do the job just because you are a big underdog is not something any coach would do. Unless he wants to lose the team before playing a game. If the coach doesn’t play to win, why would anyone else?
You don't want to rush 3 inexperienced QBs who have thrown a total of one pass in a college football game unless there is significant separation vs Fagnano. You don't want to kill their confidence with a road game against a Big 10 team that may be the best team UConn will face. Remember Tim Boyle? His first 4 college games as a true freshman: USF (2-10), @Cincinnati (9-4), @UCF (12-1), Louisville (12-1). Never recovered.

Reaction Score
Often times the QB chosen is the one the players respond to the best. Leadership + best talent don't always go hand + hand. Players will eventually gravitate toward the one they respect the most. Intangibles are not measured by numbers. Some are born natural leaders. Unless you are with the team every day, we can only guess. Hurley SR said he knew Dan would be a good coach. At his camps the kids all wanted to be in his group/section.

Reaction Score
You don't want to rush 3 inexperienced QBs who have thrown a total of one pass in a college football game unless there is significant separation vs Fagnano. You don't want to kill their confidence with a road game against a Big 10 team that may be the best team UConn will face. Remember Tim Boyle? His first 4 college games as a true freshman: USF (2-10), @Cincinnati (9-4), @UCF (12-1), Louisville (12-1). Never recovered.
Those are different conditions. If you have concluded that say Wineger is going to be your guy but needs a few mare weeks to acclimate as has occasionally been done with high caliber frosh, fine. But I’d wait a few games. Boyle was a different situation. He just wasn’t ready to play at that level. Big strong kid but you aren’t getting a much softer first game than that USF game. An above average qb picks the apart. What that game showed was not that Biyle’s confidence got hurt, but that the head coach was trying to save his job by using a local guy to build fan support. Boyle was clearly not ready to play at that level.

Reaction Score

If coaches think Fagnano is best chance to beat Maryland start him, if not, don't. Same for each QB for all of 11 (or more:)) remaining games.

Haven't really thought much about this but since QB is a mostly all or nothing position, would seem like a lot of teams need to start QB's (not so much teams that can buy established QB's like ND) with little meaningful playing time once "the guy" graduates. Not like linebacker or such where more than starters get to play a lot. Seems like Evers path of getting backup experience (little game experience) is how lot of starters have their careers go when finally taking over.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You play the QB who was the most capable during camp, regardless of experience.

I agree, more than likely that will be Fagnano. Maybe the running QB gets a wildcat role early in the season with a chance to expand that role if he does well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good to see that FINALLY we're consistently bringing in guys (albeit the portal) which see opportunity in Storrs CT instead of riding the pine their entire playing careers at a P4/P5 school... and this kid (in particular) is a local kid.. He should help out a ton at LS for us...

He was rated the No. 2 long snapper nationally by Rubio Long Snapping in High School, yet he did not see game action in 3 years. How does this happen?

Reaction Score
I agree, more than likely that will be Fagnano. Maybe the running QB gets a wildcat role early in the season with a chance to expand that role if he does well.

We will know more after today.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don’t think Fagnano will show that he is the most capable in camp…he is the most experienced in camp. Evers will most likely show he is the most capable in camp. There is a reason this guy was recruited by Florida, Oklahoma and Wisconsin. Hard to imagine that the former Maine QB will show to be more “capable” in camp. Evers also isn’t just a running qb…he is dual threat.

But…I guess those coaches for those top schools could have all been wrong. Let’s hope they weren’t.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Fagnano will show that he is the most capable in camp…he is the most experienced in camp. Evers will most likely show he is the most capable in camp. There is a reason this guy was recruited by Florida, Oklahoma and Wisconsin. Hard to imagine that the former Maine QB will show to be more “capable” in camp. Evers also isn’t just a running qb…he is dual threat.

But…I guess those coaches for those top schools could have all been wrong. Let’s hope they weren’t.
Not to rain on the parade, but there was a reason Roberson was recruited by Penn State

Reaction Score
He was rated the No. 2 long snapper nationally by Rubio Long Snapping in High School, yet he did not see game action in 3 years. How does this happen?

Because he was behind this guy:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Not to rain on the parade, but there was a reason Roberson was recruited by Penn State
its not the same. Telll you what…if Evers has the same career at UConn as Roberson I will admit i am wrong.

Reaction Score
its not the same. Telll you what…if Evers has the same career at UConn as Roberson I will admit i am wrong.
I am with you 100%. I think Evers will be really good, my previous response was the realist in my trying to undercut the optimist in me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom