Update on Paige [Merged Thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Update on Paige [Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
Or, she’s making enough money as a college player she can stay in school and get her degree
Paige should be in the WNBA right now. She needs to be playing against players at her skill level.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Once Paige is cleared, I don't see a major ramp up time. So much of what she does is mental and intuitive and does not require blazing speed etc. A few practices and she will be the best player on the team again.

Reaction Score
Since there was no Tournament the streak is still considered to be active.
anyone that saw that 2020 team knows that streak was ending that season. Blownout by Baylor and Oregon at home, blownout at South Carolina. Would have been lucky to be a 2 seed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
anyone that saw that 2020 team knows that streak was ending that season. Blownout by Baylor and Oregon at home, blownout at South Carolina. Would have been lucky to be a 2 seed.
Doesn't matter what you think, it's still active according to the NCAA. They are the ones that decide on if the streak is active or not.

Reaction Score
I just hope she can make it back in time for March. She should take her time. If she isn't 100% don't come back then. She has NOTHING to prove.

Reaction Score
How many times have any of us gone to see a Doctor, and started off t ht e
Conversation with something like... "Doc...I researched this on the internet and :);):cool::cool::Dthink I have disease/syndrome/etc" and the Doctor says... "internet research into medical issues is not something we recommend" or something like that. In other words, Paige has a Team of Doctors who are intently following her case, who know what the MRI and other tests/exams show, and are working on what they believe is the best course. Let's let them do t hff air jobs.

Reaction Score
Paige is not going to redshirt. As it is, she can take a 5th year because of Covid. ( I doubt she will.). She’s certainly not gonna take a 6th year.

She will be eligible to declare for the WNBA after her 3rd year. I can see her passing that up 1 time, not 3.

Reaction Score
I did some research on tibial plateau fracture surgery. Here is some info from Orthopedic Trauma Association, an educational forum of orthopedic surgeons headquartered in Illinois. The severity of Paige's injury is not public knowledge and will impact how long it may be before returning to basketball. This is serious, I don't think she will play this season but hope I'm wrong.

"BASIC ANATOMY

The tibial plateau is the flat top portion of your tibia bone, which runs from your knee to your ankle. The bottom end of your thigh bone (femur) and the top end of your tibia form your knee joint. The tibial plateau is a relatively flat surface of bone covered in cartilage. This is a very smooth, low-friction surface, designed to allow your knee joint to bend and straighten. There are two menisci, or shock absorbers made of cartilage, that sit between your tibia and the femur. These are commonly injured in sports activities.

Depending on where the break is and how well it is lined up, tibial plateau fractures may be treated with or without surgery. Your surgeon will discuss this with you and give you options for treatment. If your fracture can be treated without surgery, you may be kept in a brace or a splint for a period of time. Generally, you will not be allowed to put weight on your leg for 6 to 12 weeks. Once you do start putting weight on the leg, it will just be a little bit to begin with and then you can slowly increase the amount over time.

If your bone is broken in many places or it is not lined up correctly, you may require surgery. Your surgeon will evaluate your skin and swelling to decide when he or she thinks you are ready for surgery. It may take several days to several weeks. Once surgery is safe to do, your surgeon will make cuts in your leg to line your bones back up. Depending on how your bones are broken, these cuts may be on the front of your knee, the side of your knee, or both. There is rarely a need to make an incision on the back of the knee. Plates, screws, and pins may be used to hold the bones in place. Sometimes, additional bone from either yourself or a cadaver is used to help repair the break. Bone substitute may also be used. This decision will be made by your surgeon.

POST-OPERATIVE CARE

You will not be able to bear weight on your leg for weeks after breaking your bone. That means no walking on or pushing off of your broken leg. This is to keep the bones from moving as you heal. Depending on your injury, this will last 6 to 12 weeks. You may need to use crutches, a walker and/or a wheelchair. A knee immobilizer or hinged knee brace may be used to provide support for your leg. You will be instructed to work on gentle motion of your knee, ankle, and hip. This is to prevent stiffness and also to help your cartilage to heal. Your surgeon will let you know how much you should bend your knee. You may be prescribed physical therapy to help with motion and strength. It is important to follow up with your surgeon to make sure your bones are healing well and that your motion is good.

LONG TERM

Tibial plateau fractures injure the joint surface cartilage. The injured knee joint can develop arthritis. The symptoms include pain with use, stiffness, swelling, and inability to tolerate exercise, stairs, or running. Some patients have bad enough arthritis that they have a knee replacement to help improve their pain and function.

Stiffness and some weakness is very common. Physical therapy may be able to help with this. You may have a permanent limp and need to use a cane or assistive device. Rarely, more serious complications may require more surgery, hospital stays, or medications. These complications include swelling, infection, blood clots, and painful hardware."

Reaction Score
as real as that Lebron ring in the bubble I guess.

Reaction Score
Too many ppl here are focused on her return to help the team versus her being healthy smh
sadly true, reminds me of when they kept calling Durant out for not coming back. Then off course he tore his ACL.

Reaction Score
Recruit better and hold on to the players you have.
No attack but when you have players that often transfer out due to depth how much better can you recruit???
Holding on to players that need to develop is like asking many sophomores ( non athletes ) what they are going to major in. Often still undecided.
Paige should be in the WNBA right now. She needs to be playing against players at her skill level.
Again I say not a personal attack but Paige is way to frail to be in the W at this point. Take in a WNBA game and get up close to the players when the opportunity is there. Walk down behind the bench or even after a game when you can get up close to the players. You will see an obvious physical and strength that that Paige would not be able to meet at this point in her development.
The mantra from Paige herself has been to continually get stronger and she and the staff know it is needed.
Once Paige is cleared, I don't see a major ramp up time. So much of what she does is mental and intuitive and does not require blazing speed etc. A few practices and she will be the best player on the team again.
Again another no attack I like many of your posts but I have to disagree. Yes her game is mental and intuitive but the speed is what gets it done. At least three times today I saw rebounds and outlet passes from one player to the next that got held up rather than hitting the cutter going to the hoop. Paige would have seen it and got an assist.
I love your spirit but it will take more than a few practices to reach the top of her game again. We both have to be patient with the patient. ;)

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter what you think, it's still active according to the NCAA. They are the ones that decide on if the streak is active or not.
If you are replying to the person I think you are (ignored for me), you're playing violin for a water buffalo.

Reaction Score
Yeah that person seems to hate Uconn. That person gets upset when you talk bad about players and coaches from other programs, but they openly bash Uconn players and coaches. That person is a waste of time.

Reaction Score
Yeah that person seems to hate Uconn. That person gets upset when you talk bad about players and coaches from other programs, but they openly bash Uconn players and coaches. That person is a waste of time.
you right, that's why I defend players like Olivia and Christyn when you want them benched over one exhibition game. And apparently losing Shea Ralph and the input she had on players is now hating the current coaches. Hope you can tell me more about your PHD doctor.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Agreed. I did the research. And 6-8 weeks would be due to a miracle or lack of caring for Paige's long term health.
As I know from my wife’s recent health issue, reading up on typical or averages is really not worth it. Cases are different as are healing. What will be will be. Just hope she recovers 100%. Such a talent.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I did the research. And 6-8 weeks would be due to a miracle or lack of caring for Paige's long term health.
all research is appreciated, don't let people detract you with the "are you a doctor" line.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Again another no attack I like many of your posts but I have to disagree. Yes her game is mental and intuitive but the speed is what gets it done. At least three times today I saw rebounds and outlet passes from one player to the next that got held up rather than hitting the cutter going to the hoop. Paige would have seen it and got an assist.
I love your spirit but it will take more than a few practices to reach the top of her game again. We both have to be patient with the patient. ;)

I only said she would be the best player on the team, not the top of her game. Two different things.

I would think her ball hawking and passing lane jumping and just playing with reckless abandon would take more time to get back

Reaction Score
Well, I am hoping for her sake (emotional) as well as ours she can go NCAA tournament time. especially because of the MN venue
The tournament in Minneapolis this year could be a significant factor. Only one chance to play in the Final Four or win a championship where you grew up, and that is this year, combined with a comeback story on top of that, could make for a fairy tale outcome. Regardless she has to seriously look at what's best for her long term.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think the WNBA is going to change their rules before then so future players like Paige can be 1 and dones if they so choose. With the NIL players will have the opportunity to make enough money and for go college.
Current WNBA CBA runs through 2027. I don't expect either side to consider 1 and done prior to then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom