Update on Katie Lou, Kyla | The Boneyard

Update on Katie Lou, Kyla

Reaction Score
I was going to add this to yesterday's thread about Katie Lou but saw it was shut down. Hope this is OK.

Anyway, coach Ralph said last night that Katie Lou and Kyla Irwin will both assume assistant coaching duties in July when teams are allowed to expand their staffs. The NCAA recently decided to allow each program to add two assistant coaches in July, but these coaches will not be allowed to travel off campus for recruiting. While adding coaching duties, Katie Lou will continue to work as director of player development, and Kyla will continue with her community outreach duties.

Katie Lou, who plans to marry this summer, will join the Sparks at the usual time and return to Nashville when her WNBA season ends. Meanwhile, she's getting a few months on the job where, among other things, she will be in contact with recruits from campus. That's what I'm most excited about. I think she could be a natural recruiter. You hear players from time to time saying they model their game after her.

Reaction Score
So I guess this means the end of her overseas career and she'll coach instead? Can't say I blame her after what happened to Griner with the way the world is at the moment.
That would appear to be the case. I think her marriage also makes spending months overseas less desirable. Coach Ralph said Katie Lou is starting to look beyond her playing days. She also said she believes Katie Lou has a passion to become a coach, something Shea said she has always seen in her.

Reaction Score
This is a pretty cool move. She can learn and develop a little of her coaching philosophy and blend that from what she learned while at UConn, learn the inner workings of the college game, and help to develop the skills of the players. I always love it when former players become coaches at any level. They bring all of the coaching experience, lessons, and leadership style of their former coaches and start to create their vision for their programs.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kyla's enthusiasm on the bench is fun to watch. Even though she is not a coach yet, she has been a constant presence around the team and travels with them to all the games. No one is more vocal or excited.
As a player, Kyla’s fundamental skills were excellent. She’ll make a fantastic coach

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
As a player, Kyla’s fundamental skills were excellent. She’ll make a fantastic coach
But can she make the locker room paint peel? I heard that is a requisite.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This is a pretty cool move. She can learn and develop a little of her coaching philosophy and blend that from what she learned while at UConn, learn the inner workings of the college game, and help to develop the skills of the players. I always love it when former players become coaches at any level. They bring all of the coaching experience, lessons, and leadership style of their former coaches and start to create their vision for their programs.
Many players coached as they were coached. Wow!! That means Geno's former players take what they learned from him (arguably the greatest WCBB coach of all time) and give it to their players. That also includes the mind games he plays from time to time......all for their transformation in becoming the best players they can be. They were coached by him for 4 years. Who else are they going to copy from? :eek:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Terrific story with coach Ralph and Katie Lou.

Wish I could read it, I get an error code "403 Forbidden" and a blank page.

Reaction Score
Wish I could read it, I get an error code "403 Forbidden" and a blank page.
It's on the university website and completely free to all without signing up. Has to be some kind of technical problem, but I'm not smart enough to help you with it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's on the university website and completely free to all without signing up. Has to be some kind of technical problem, but I'm not smart enough to help you with it.
It must be on my side, I get the same code going to the university website.

Reaction Score
The fact that she has lived and breathed basketball because of her family's history makes her so very likely to eventually becoming a phenomenal coach .... it's my first of hearing of her coaching aspirations but it sounds so perfect for her ....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hey...you uncovered another mystery for me: where the heck is Graham Hays? -- the WBB/Women's soccer writer ESPNw let go a few years back. I used to read his reports and columns religiously, given my lifelong love of hoops and my picked-up love of soccer over the years. Great writer and I always thought ESPN made a huge mistake getting rid of him.

According to this twitter, he, too, is a contributor at Vanderbilt. Great to know Graham is still alive and typing.

Now, back to the intended topic. ;)

Reaction Score
Hey...you uncovered another mystery for me: where the heck is Graham Hays? -- the WBB/Women's soccer writer ESPNw let go a few years back. I used to read his reports and columns religiously, given my lifelong love of hoops and my picked-up love of soccer over the years. Great writer and I always thought ESPN made a huge mistake getting rid of him.

According to this twitter, he, too, is a contributor at Vanderbilt. Great to know Graham is still alive and typing.

Now, back to the intended topic. ;)
And, you just cleared up a mystery for me. I thought Graham Hayes was a student and have been bragging about what a good writer this kid is...lol. Well, he is a good writer, just not quite the pup I thought he was.

Reaction Score
As an aside, what do you think Geno and CD are going to do about the 2 additional coach options?

Did Tina recently show up for a job interview?
I don’t know if they have anyone in mind. As always, Geno, CD, and Shea will be above board regarding all of the rules including the new two additional assistants rule. However, I fear that not all head coaches will take the high road. I can foresee the potential to put together a package deal where a highly ranked recruit could be swayed by offering one of the extra assistant coaching jobs to one of her parents. I never thought I would say this, but the NCAA should add a provision to the assistant coach expansion rule that precludes this from happening.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don’t know if they have anyone in mind. As always, Geno, CD, and Shea will be above board regarding all of the rules including the new two additional assistants rule. However, I fear that not all head coaches will take the high road. I can foresee the potential to put together a package deal where a highly ranked recruit could be swayed by offering one of the extra assistant coaching jobs to one of her parents. I never thought I would say this, but the NCAA should add a provision to the assistant coach expansion rule that precludes this from happening.
I believe that had already happened with Ohio State a few year's back with Mitchell's dad being an assistant coach with Kevin McGuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom