Update On Injured Huskies Via Geno | The Boneyard

Update On Injured Huskies Via Geno

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Auriemma said Friday that Griffin should be practicing this summer after recovering from back surgery Griffin, who also had a preseason ankle injury, missed the entire season and had surgery on Jan. 10.

The redshirt junior has been cleared to begin running.

Also expected to return to full workouts by the middle of the summer is Juhász....

Auriemma said Juhász has been conditioning during her recovery process.

“I was in the weight room with her the other day and she’s doing all the things you would do if you weren’t injured except, she’s got a cast on her wrist, a soft one, so she’s limited with some things,” he said.

The team will be without Ducharme until August, Auriemma said. Ducharme had surgery on her left hip on April 28, a procedure to repair an injury she suffered in high school before coming to UConn.

“This was absolutely necessary. She dealt with it all year,” Auriemma said. “It happened to her in high school and she had an incredible year in despite of it, and it’s gonna be a long way back for her, as well. …. Certainly when September, October come around the plan is for her to be 100 percent and in a better place than she was last year at this time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For me the use of last names in the article is something of a turn off. Caroline's injury sounds major indeed. Aubrey I doubt we will know about until she is deep in practice.

Reaction Score
I wonder if that's why Ducharme went a bit downhill. She was amazing starting for a while even winning a game for us on a last second shot. Then it seemed she feel off the rest of the season. I'm assuming it was the hip injury and not a freshman inconsistency since she seems experienced for a freshman.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not to parse words but I will. The quote was "I was in the weight room with her the other day..."

He said he was in the room. Nothing about working out. ;)
An old saying.........."You don't get what you EXPECT, you get what you INSPECT." Geno finding out first hand (in person) what his charges are doing and how they are coming along, instead of getting second hand reports from his coaches/trainers. Good/effective leaders are the ones who come out from behind their desks. :cool:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Auriemma said Friday that Griffin should be practicing this summer after recovering from back surgery Griffin, who also had a preseason ankle injury, missed the entire season and had surgery on Jan. 10.

The redshirt junior has been cleared to begin running.

Also expected to return to full workouts by the middle of the summer is Juhász....

Auriemma said Juhász has been conditioning during her recovery process.

“I was in the weight room with her the other day and she’s doing all the things you would do if you weren’t injured except, she’s got a cast on her wrist, a soft one, so she’s limited with some things,” he said.

The team will be without Ducharme until August, Auriemma said. Ducharme had surgery on her left hip on April 28, a procedure to repair an injury she suffered in high school before coming to UConn.

“This was absolutely necessary. She dealt with it all year,” Auriemma said. “It happened to her in high school and she had an incredible year in despite of it, and it’s gonna be a long way back for her, as well. …. Certainly when September, October come around the plan is for her to be 100 percent and in a better place than she was last year at this time.

Good news all the way around. I’m especially looking forward to seeing Aubrey back on the court. Geno alludes to it in the article, but it is extraordinarily hard to come back from back surgery and get back to being a Division I high major athlete. I believe I read that her dad made the same journey in and up with a pro career, so I wouldn’t bet against Aubrey. Still, it’s going to be really satisfying to see her back out in the court.

Reaction Score
I always thought Caroline had a bit of an unusual running gait. It seemed to me she ran ( effectively enough) without lifting her feet up as high as most. Now I wonder if that (if it wasn’t my imagination) was because of possible discomfort from her hip? I remember thinking that she ran a lot like Larry Legend.

Reaction Score
Injury list currently stands at over 20% of team.
Griffin cleared to “ begin” running not a ringing endorsement that she’ll 100% at season’s start.
Same with Caroline - “long way back” does not comport with the “plan” to be 100%.
This is tough stuff and I love ‘our’ girls, but I’m seeing a short roster through New Year’s Day.
Is Paith still on team?
Unclear if ,once entering the portal, Coach still has an obligation or even wants her.
Many may consider her entrance a lack of commitment or loyalty. (as I do)
I understand wanting more court time,
But isn’t/shouldn’t entry into the portal be a one way ticket?

Reaction Score
Further proof of Caroline's toughness. Being able to play through an injury dating from high school, and it being her hip? A fully healthy Caroline is a scary proposition.
I know that at some point during the season I noticed that Caroline appeared to have a short stride for such a tall girl I would imagine the hip injury had something to do with that. She still had quick burst ability but I would imagine it was painful knowing what we know now about to hip injury. I completely agree with you that a healthy Caroline with the freedom of movement is a scary proposition for their opponents. there’s just something about her maybe it’s the fact that she came in a little under the radar and that Axzi and Paige still got all the hype. I think for me it’s the high basketball IQ and grit and determination from someone I didn’t really know all that much about.

Reaction Score
Griffin cleared to “ begin” running not a ringing endorsement that she’ll 100% at season’s start.
Same with Caroline - “long way back” does not comport with the “plan” to be 100%.
This is tough stuff and I love ‘our’ girls, but I’m seeing a short roster through New Year’s Day.
Is Paith still on team?
Unclear if ,once entering the portal, Coach still has an obligation or even wants her.
No lack of anything, she’s a basketball player and wants to play.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Is Paith still on team?
We don't know why Piath entered the portal - she missed at least one tournament game because she needed to tend to classwork. Her decision could be based on finding UConn academics too much of a challenge and might have nothing to do with wanting more playing time. And it could be for an entirely different reason.

I know you said others might think this but I don't personally consider her going into the portal a lack of loyalty.

That said, I do think commitment and loyalty are important virtues and are sadly lacking in too many people as well as institutions - I think we can all cite examples of where coaches and colleges have abruptly dropped players or made it so difficult for them that the players seek to transfer., and employers letting go of long time employees.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Is Paith still on team?
I think there should be some flexibility built in if circumstances change. For example, two or three years ago Herbert-Harrigan of SCar entered the portal. After Te'a Cooper left, HH came back.

Regarding Piath: I don't recall seeing Geno make a statement about her leaving. Probably I missed it. I bet he would take her back if she wanted to come.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Is Paith still on team?
If you are going to say something negative about her at least you should spell her name right. It's Piath, not Paith. Where did you see she left because she wanted more playing time?

Reaction Score
I wonder if that's why Ducharme went a bit downhill. She was amazing starting for a while even winning a game for us on a last second shot. Then it seemed she feel off the rest of the season. I'm assuming it was the hip injury and not a freshman inconsistency since she seems experienced for a freshman.
There was also all of that mystery about her ( non-concussion) head injury. We won't know until the novel comes out.

Reaction Score
Regarding Piath: I don't recall seeing Geno make a statement about her leaving. Probably I missed it. I bet he would take her back if she wanted to come.
He did. You can google it with "piath gabriel leaving uconn" and see the article from the Htfd Courant

Reaction Score
If you are going to say something negative about her at least you should spell her name right. It's Piath, not Paith. Where did you see she left because she wanted more playing time?
A)-typo
B)-seems to be the general drift on this board.
C)-take another swipe, why don’t ya?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom