Update on Former Players - December | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Update on Former Players - December

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I live in Denver. Watch a few games a week. Let me guess you're what 14?
You have the privilege of watching what is most likely the greatest passer in the history of the NBA and you're making these posts...

Reaction Score
You have the privilege of watching what is most likely the greatest passer in the history of the NBA and you're making these posts...
My post is simple. People saying that the players from the 60's and 70's would get punked is stupid. Great players then had to face defense with hand checking no ticky tack fouls Ever see Lambier or Mahorn blast Jordan. No foul...??? Today that would result in an ejection and suspension. Also there was no "load management" To say those players are inferior is silly.

Reaction Score
My post is simple. People saying that the players from the 60's and 70's would get punked is stupid. Great players then had to face defense with hand checking no ticky tack fouls Ever see Lambier or Mahorn blast Jordan. No foul...??? Today that would result in an ejection and suspension. Also there was no "load management" To say those players are inferior is silly.
The people who think players are way better today are almost as annoying as the people who think the NBA stinks now.

Reaction Score
Akok played a few minutes & is now on the bench in warmups. Hope he’s ok. He has given them lots of PT this year, so him not playing is not the norm

Reaction Score
Akok played a few minutes & is now on the bench in warmups. Hope he’s ok. He has given them lots of PT this year, so him not playing is not the norm
Twitter says due to back spasms

Reaction Score
The people who think players are way better today are almost as annoying as the people who think the NBA stinks now.
The people who compare generations are the most annoying. Those whom pretend to know definitively are the absolute worst and add no value to any conversation.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Especially in a sport like tennis. I'd love to see a few tournaments allowing only wood racquets. The technology and rules have changed so much that comparing Rod Laver to Federer, or Margaret Court to Serena Williams is a fools errand.

Reaction Score

The talent and level of play are higher than ever even if the product sucks until Spring. Load management is a problem but the player empowerment focus has made it hard to be a fan of a team. You can of course be a fan of a star or a league pass junkie but i only really like to watch playoffs now.

Reaction Score
The generational comparisons are always dumb. There is a FAR bigger talent pool today, training methods are hugely improved, etc. It’s an impossible comparison.

There was a good story about Paterno at the end of his time at PSU where he was really just a figurehead. His only acceptable lifting approach was one set to failure, which was incredibly antiquated. So whenever he’d come in the weight room, everyone would pretend to do that and then when he left, they’d all go back to the real strength training program. Guys today have had the benefit of a far better development system.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Gaff & team grinded out a hard fought win against a good North texas team to move to 12-1
team got a handful of votes in the coaches poll. prolly first time ever. idk.
they're top 20 in 3 ball, yet shot 13% last night. 30% overall for a top offensive, margin of victory, blah, blah, blah squad. down 9 with 8 to go in a game with total points of 96, to a 10-2 team, on the road, and they just summoned up the grit to win. fun game full of drama from the get go, will anyone, at any time, make a shot? long, long, stretches of the scoreboard not moving.
w based on timely d.
impressive.

Reaction Score
What's the point of convincing a 4 star redshirt freshman to transfer to your team if you have no intention of playing him?

None of us know what actually happened but from the outside looking in, it seems like he got the really short end of the stick here. Bynum and Carter are graduating after this year, but the other 2 guards ahead of him in the depth chart are coming back.

Reaction Score
Corey got caught up in it all and really thought he was doing something and was going to show them. He was swayed by the wrong (imo) people, and now here we are all. I still think he’ll be solid by the time he’s an upperclassman, but Cooley has shown himself to be a big fan of the transfer portal, so who knows if he’ll keep getting blocked. That’s something the two of them will have to handle, but what is certain is that it is not going the way Corey thought it would.

I still think some part of Akok is going to break every time I see him run down the court. Hopefully this back stuff is just a temporarily setback.

Jalen’s production seems to have slipped recently, but he’s still averaging almost 7 points and 25 minutes a game for the first place C-USA team.

Diggins got pushed into a starting role when Fernandes got hurt, and he has struggled mightily. I still like that conference and team fit for him.

Reaction Score
Corey got caught up in it all and really thought he was doing something and was going to show them. He was swayed by the wrong (imo) people, and now here we are all. I still think he’ll be solid by the time he’s an upperclassman, but Cooley has shown himself to be a big fan of the transfer portal, so who knows if he’ll keep getting blocked. That’s something the two of them will have to handle, but what is certain is that it is not going the way Corey thought it would.

I still think some part of Akok is going to break every time I see him run down the court. Hopefully this back stuff is just a temporarily setback.

Jalen’s production seems to have slipped recently, but he’s still averaging almost 7 points and 25 minutes a game for the first place C-USA team.

Diggins got pushed into a starting role when Fernandes got hurt, and he has struggled mightily. I still like that conference and team fit for him.

We don’t know if Corey is better than what we have. Regardless of his star rating, my guess is probably not and DH hs to be happy with the results. He used us and and for that he needs to expect grief for the rest of his college career.

Reaction Score

Rahsool averaging 3PPG, 2.5APG, 1.3RPG shooting 27% FG, 22% 3P, 17% FT

Shooting 5-31 in December

YIKES

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could well be wrong but I believe the top 12-15 players from the 1960's and the top 12-15 players from the 1970's would compare favorably to their counterparts playing today.

There would be a small dropoff in players 15-50 and a massive dropoff with players 50 to wherever you wanted to stop. Without question, due to popularity of the sport, a global reach for talent and compensation exceeding other major sports (where it hadn't in the past) there are a ton more good players now than there were decades ago. That doesn't mean that the top handful are better now.

I remember an argument (about 20 years ago) on a different board where someone claimed that because Bill Russell as a center was basically the same height and weight as Magic Johnson who was a point guard, Russell wouldn't have been able to play in the 1980's or later. What i found most humorous about his argument was that later in the argument he spoke about how great a rebounder & defender Dennis Rodman was. Russell would have been a star in any era. In fact, today's game would likely benefit his natural physical and athletic gifts more than the era he played in.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

but what is certain is that it is not going the way Corey thought it would.
why, becuz u say so? r u a mind reader? do u have any evidence whatsoever for this gossip?
2 months in to the first season of a potential four year run, he's actually playing a bit now.
check back with a 'corey's mental health' update around, say 2025.
i'll wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits