Update on Boat's Status with Nets | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Update on Boat's Status with Nets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought Boat was destined for a lengthy Euro career but now I would be surprised if he doesn't make the Nets. Who knows what happens after that, but considering his play and how the roster is shaking down, things look good.
boatright is better than shane larkin, stamp that. i feel like hollins like him and markel, just tough nosed 4 year guys. and he is notoriously hard to please.

Reaction Score
Watch the post game interview after. Here is the link

http://www.nba.com/games/20150714/BKNCHI/gameinfo.html?ls=slt

Boat continues to give a lot of credit to Ollie and continues to show love for UCONN.

Love the fact that he called Alterique after he committed and love the fact that he continues to give Ollie credit for his success in summer league so far.

The guy bleeds blue!

C

Chief00

Ironically at a higher level it may be easier since the defense won't focus on him like last season. That will hold true in summer league until he starts playing against starters.

Reaction Score
in every interview boatright has done he has praised 'uconn' and 'kevin ollie' and an 'nba system'. ive really come around on the guy, one of my favorite huskies ever. last year i felt he tried to hard with our team, and even went as far to place blame on him. a terrible mistake on my part

Reaction Score
Ironically at a higher level it may be easier since the defense won't focus on him like last season. That will hold true in summer league until he starts playing against starters.
The spacing of the NBA game favors players with great athleticism, and Boatright is certainly an explosive athlete. His size will be a hindrance, but he'll have a lot of room to operate and utilize his speed and quickness in the open floor.

Looking at the Nets roster after some of their recent moves, and they might project as one of the worst teams in the NBA (and sadly, they may not have their own 1st round draft pick until 2019). He may not be on a contender, but Boat should have plenty of opportunities to get playing time.

Reaction Score
Boat is a stud, to think it took a Jabarie Hinds commitment to WVU for Boat to end up a Husky is pretty crazy. Our history as a program and Boat's life changed with that decision.
Seriously, because just lol if anyone thinks he sniffs the NBA going to WVU.

Reaction Score
I thought Boat was destined for a lengthy Euro career but now I would be surprised if he doesn't make the Nets. Who knows what happens after that, but considering his play and how the roster is shaking down, things look good.

He's "comin' for y'all head!"

Reaction Score
I picked this comment off the Nets Real GM board:

"Sloan shot 40% from the field and 31% from three last season and a 50% TS.
Boatright still has a good shot at making the team. He's shown much better range than Sloan ever has."

Ryan shot 50% from 3 in the summer league...hope he chews Sloan up and spits him out (bad taste in mouth?) in pre-season camp.

Reaction Score
I picked this comment off the Nets Real GM board:

"Sloan shot 40% from the field and 31% from three last season and a 50% TS.
Boatright still has a good shot at making the team. He's shown much better range than Sloan ever has."

Ryan shot 50% from 3 in the summer league...hope he chews Sloan up and spits him out (bad taste in mouth?) in pre-season camp.
Unfortunately that's the only comment that sounds positive. This really hurts Boats chances of making the team. Sloan and Larkin are both below average but have proven they can at least play in the league. If anything I think it will come down to Larkin and Boat because it's hard to picture BKN carrying 2/3 under 6 foot PGs to go along with Jack. The two keys will be if Boat can continue to hit 3s and play lockdown defense.

Reaction Score
Obviously coming from a biased UConn fan, however the upside for Boat just seems much greater than Sloan or even Larkin. A team like the Nets should be looking to take a chance on a guy who can give them doubles & triples off the bench like Boat as opposed to safe singles hitters.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, I talked to my Nets friend again and he says Boat will still "have a chance to compete for the last roster spot," but concedes that the Sloan signing may make it more difficult in an increasingly crowded backcourt. When I had talked to him a few days ago, he said the fifteenth spot would likely come down to Boat or Willie Reed. However, even with the Sloan signing, Boat is still expected to go into training camp "with the opportunity to let his talent shine through." The Nets are still high on Boatright, but I hope he doesn't fall victim to a numbers game. Again, take that all for what you will.

From my perspective, I still think the Nets would be wise to keep Boatright. They're going to be one of the worst teams in the NBA next season, and the only proven commodity they have at PG is a 32 year old Jarrett Jack. If there's one position they could use additional depth, it's at point guard.

Reaction Score
jfuchs91 said:
For what it's worth, I talked to my Nets friend again and he says Boat will still "have a chance to compete for the last roster spot," but concedes that the Sloan signing may make it more difficult in an increasingly crowded backcourt. When I had talked to him a few days ago, he said the fifteenth spot would likely come down to Boat or Willie Reed. However, even with the Sloan signing, Boat is still expected to go into training camp "with the opportunity to let his talent shine through." The Nets are still high on Boatright, but I hope he doesn't fall victim to a numbers game. Again, take that all for what you will.

From my perspective, I still think the Nets would be wise to keep Boatright. They're going to be one of the worst teams in the NBA next season, and the only proven commodity they have at PG is a 32 year old Jarrett Jack. If there's one position they could use additional depth, it's at point guard.

I still see the Nets as a playoff contender. Why so down on them?

Reaction Score
Bobby marks is an ex nets front office guy FYI. Tremendous follow on twitter for cap minutiea

Reaction Score
I still see the Nets as a playoff contender. Why so down on them?
In the weak East, most teams could be a playoff contender if things fell correctly, but I just think the Nets have one of the least talented rosters in the league. They only have a small handful of guys with any sort of positive NBA résumé, and don't really have any burgeoning prospects either.

To make matters worse, they've already traded away eight future picks by 2020, including first-rounders the next three seasons to the Celtics (though technically, 2017 is a potential draft order swap, not trading away outright). Brooklyn appears to be in the unenviable position of possessing neither win-now talent nor future assets. Outside of some major free agent splashes, the Nets are likely going to be bad for awhile.

Fortunately, the Nets do have some things going for them. First, there's alway the chance that losing Deron Williams will be addition by subtraction. It's widely known that Williams and Joe Johnson never got along, and perhaps that will create a more cohesive team. Second, Brooklyn is situated in an appealing market, and with the cap rising next year, the Nets could put themselves in a position to sign some marquee free agents.

However, outside of that, things look fairly bleak for Brooklyn. Joe Johnson is an aging wing whose scoring has dropped in seven of the last eight seasons, Thaddeus Young is a tweener, and Brook Lopez is a slow-footed back-to-the-basket big - an archetype that is rapidly disappearing from the NBA as the league places more value on 'pace and space.'

So in one sense, I'd be happy for Boatright to make the Nets and be in a position where he could potentially earn a lot of minutes and prove he belongs. On the other hand, it'd be nice to see him play for an organization that doesn't appear to be doomed for the cellar for the next several years. Either way, I just want Boat to make an NBA roster come opening night. He deserves it.

Reaction Score
upload_2015-8-16_21-46-25.png

Boat just posted this on Instagram. The caption is: "BK I'm On My Way". Not sure if this means he made the team. But it sure looks that way.

If so thats awesome for Boat. He deserves it.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Going from undrafted to making a final roster in the same year of the draft with no overseas stint is one of the hardest, and frankly uncommon things in the NBA right now with the emergence of second round picks surging in value with the new CBA.

Great job by boat and I hope we get to see a lot of him this season.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
There is no indication that he actually made the team. Teams don't guarantee roster spots to players on a partial guarantee contract a month before training camp even begins. It simply looks like he just got his number and that is when the number he will wear if he makes(hopefully) the main roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom