"Up Transfers" Are Hurting College Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Up Transfers" Are Hurting College Basketball

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It was obvious that UP TRANSFERS were happening when Uconn received bids from Players from two tiny
schools ---Kentucky and Duke-=== Not that they were huge like Maine and Middlebury..=

Yes. And look how decimated the teams are now. They will never recover. ;);)

Reaction Score
The cynicism of big-time college basketball did away with the LOYALTY speech a long time ago. And championships built on one and done athletes finished it off. We like UCONN because they do it the old fashioned way, in the way they play and the way they stay. And they win championships and our hearts.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The cynicism of big-time college basketball did away with the LOYALTY speech a long time ago. And championships built on one and done athletes finished it off. We like UCONN because they do it the old fashioned way, in the way they play and the way they stay. And they win championships and our hearts.
We seem to be a bit naive on wanting our athletes to have pure motives and romance about "the good ole days". Let me ask anyone who complains about the mobility issues of athletes- so if you had the opportunity to get a job in your chosen profession (engineering, accounting, psychology, etc) with a huge salary after 1 year of college with the desired company are ANY of you going to say NO? Let's stop treating athletes like indentured servants who must stay at one school while all around them are coaches, admins, TV and other pundits making the most of what they can. Look I get that some would be better served in the long run by staying, but I was taught this thing called "free will" that allows people to make their own choices. For America, it seems to have worked out pretty well.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Up Transfers don't happen more frequently. Say School A doesn't have enough Scholarships available for a player they covet. Player is not an elite athlete but would help a team or maybe doesn't quite have the academics to get into the school of their choice. The coach at School A says, spend a year at a smaller school until we have a scholarship available or get your grades in order and we'll give you a scholarship next year. There would be players that would accept that under the table deal.

Reaction Score
Per Raul: Players are leaving smaller schools for the lure of the big time basketball powers more then ever

How transfers are making Cinderella runs difficult

The competitive balance between power schools and cinderella in an amateur sports isn't really a worthy enough end to concern oneself over. There are transfer rules and they sufficiently balance the interests of schools and players. The players interest should be the most important thing and on balance the schools may actually get more consideration than they should already.

Reaction Score
I grew up on Long Island, graduating from Great Neck South high school in 1965. My junior year, we had a really good team and played Mineola in the Nassau County semifinals. They had a guy named Bill Corley, who was too big and too good for us and we went down to defeat. Kid went on to have a great career at UCONN, but passed away young back in 1999. I'm sure you remember him.
I loved Bill Corley---a good player for Uconn--A sweetheart as a person--He could have been exceptional if he had a mean bone in his body. Bobby Boyd, tommy Penders, Wes (the Poughkepsi (??)Popper) Wes could hit them from half court--unfortunately they only counted 2 (should have been 5).

Reaction Score
I remember when one of the top boys high school basketball players in the country committed to Connecticut years ago. He was a Parade AA. I believe his name was Cornelious or something similar. I could not figure out why he chose Uconn. I knew of no one who had ever committed to Uconn. He turned out to be one of Uconn's greatest players. This had to be in the 70's or 80's. Do you recall who that player is? I believe he is a Uconn legend.
Another poster --identified him as Corny Thompson. The only Thompson, I remember, was Tommy Thompson---and when Uconn and URI were in the neck to neck running for the Yankee Conf title---Tommy announced loudly--JAM THE RAM"s
We sat, because the only seating available to us, with the RAM--half way through the first half--My Wife screams loudly
Jam the Rams---which not liked by URI fans, was accepted. I couldnt hide under the bleachers--

Reaction Score
We seem to be a bit naive on wanting our athletes to have pure motives and romance about "the good ole days". Let me ask anyone who complains about the mobility issues of athletes- so if you had the opportunity to get a job in your chosen profession (engineering, accounting, psychology, etc) with a huge salary after 1 year of college with the desired company are ANY of you going to say NO? Let's stop treating athletes like indentured servants who must stay at one school while all around them are coaches, admins, TV and other pundits making the most of what they can. Look I get that some would be better served in the long run by staying, but I was taught this thing called "free will" that allows people to make their own choices. For America, it seems to have worked out pretty well.

I agree to an extent---they are very very far from indentured servants--those were the bad old days--
Kids should have mobility--that's true---and I believe if free mobility existed it would soon seek it's own level--and no ill effect would be felt. Coaches after a fashion would slow the process just to maintain some continuity--also how many players in lessor schools are such great talents that Div one schools may want them?? I'm not a fan of the one year sitting rule for transfers--if grad student can play immediately, why not all?? Kids who transferred more than twice --probably would not find a home. Free will ---for you does not mean that the Free will of another with be the same--and they may not accept your mobility. That's freedom.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
...I still love DIII men's, and my local school, The College of Wooster, is the winningest men's program, in all divisions, since the millennium.

Even better than Muskingum? I find that hard to believe. :confused:

Reaction Score
I remember when one of the top boys high school basketball players in the country committed to Connecticut years ago. He was a Parade AA. I believe his name was Cornelious or something similar. I could not figure out why he chose Uconn. I knew of no one who had ever committed to Uconn. He turned out to be one of Uconn's greatest players. This had to be in the 70's or 80's. Do you recall who that player is? I believe he is a Uconn legend.

Corny Thompson from Middletown.

Reaction Score
I know the name Corny Thompson--but this sponge I call a brain has too many holes in it--but the great thing is --later to day or tomorrow---it will pop up---There was one standout (not named Thompson) that went to Italy and played there--he wrote when he came back that the unofficial rule was the home team must win the first half---second half up for grabs--on one occasion (at least) fans charged him at the half and ripped his clothes off down to the jock strap. Rabid fans.
And his name too shall pop up --later. But if anyone remember who--have at it..

Reaction Score
Lol..... wait until women's basketball becomes a solid revenue source at more schools. It's going to be like big time college football. They sign players over the scholarship limit in the winter and have tryouts each spring. If your not good enough, your scholly disappears.

Reaction Score
SI’s study found that in 2012, 28 players left their schools for distinctly higher levels—19 traditional transfers and nine graduate students who were immediately eligible. Last off-season, that number jumped to 91, with 42 traditional transfers and 49 graduate transfers....

Absolutely, 2 data points make for a conclusive thesis. The trend is demonstrably and dramatically upward. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Corny played 77/78 Uconn (probably before) and score almost 19 pt s per game.
Toby Kimball--was to many the top remembered scorer/player--he is the one who went to Italy and was undressed
Bobby Boyd, Tommy penders (coach of Div 1 men's teams) , Abromitas, Tony Hanson (Waterbury), Balasuknia, Robert Staak (21 pts per game)Dynamic Duo with Bobby Boyd abt 18 pts per game (on the same team with Robert Taylor Something), Bill Corley---and 200 others who played during the 60's and 70's--I'm still not sure we didn't call Corny --Tommy Thompson
The number of conference Championships is pretty outstanding for the Men.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thank you BtoadwayVa for that information.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Corny Thompson, I seem to recall from Middletown.

Definitely from Middletown. I knew him a little bit in high school -- played against him in football and, I think, track (don't quote me on that one, IIRC he did triple jump and/or maybe 400?). He was a wide receiver. Middletown had orange helmets (the pumpkin heads), but Cornelius wore a white helmet -- between his height and the white helmet, the quarterback never had any trouble finding him. If Geno had coached our little high school team, he would have called him "unguardable."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was Celtics of the sixties and occasionally seeing the tournament final with UCLA but for some reason I never really followed men's basketball except for always wanting to see how Princeton terrorized the big powers in the early rounds of the NCAA - they usually lost but the final score was 36-34 and the winners were exhausted. And the year Princeton won the NIT I followed along. I think the Len Bilas death was sort of the death knell for my following men's basketball pro or college, probably held on for a few more years, but it had certainly changed for the worse by then. Still remember the wonder that was Dr. J sort of nostalgically - he would be so commonplace now that no one would notice.

Discovering women's basketball and specifically Uconn was a return to those earlier simpler days of basketball mostly below the rim with passing and teamwork and defense.
I just find the whole men's side distasteful - too many unpleasant people playing a sport that their athleticism has outgrown. I recognize the incredible athleticism, but I don't particularly want to watch it, just as I am not going to watch gymnastics on a regular basis, or track and field.

Reaction Score
...people playing a sport that their athleticism has outgrown.

This is definitely a part of it. To me, the size of the court and height of the rim is perfect. For the modern women athlete. It can't, and won't, happen for several reasons, but if college men played on a slightly larger court with an 11-foot high hoop, that would at least go a little ways towards bringing me back. But only a little ways.

I heard Geno say, two or three years ago, that he'd like to see the height of the hoop lowered for the women's game. Nine feet, or something like that. That would ruin the game for me. I like what they have, we don't need more dunking contests.

Reaction Score
I'm ok with the transfers to apoint I guess. Billy Graham once said: "The greatest legacy one can pass on to one's children and grandchildren is not money or other material things accumulated in one's life, but rather a legacy of character and faith."
Much of the "transfer-itis" as I call it, is a help and is a hinderance. Some is out of a lack of character by players, families, coaches and could-be agents of the players who are all hungry for money. Some not. We see though, much agree, it hasn't helped the game of basketball, if at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom