"Up Transfers" Are Hurting College Basketball | The Boneyard

"Up Transfers" Are Hurting College Basketball

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Umm, I am at UConn Stamford, however, next year I am able to transfer to Yale, should I go? Hell yeah, it is the nature of the beast. We all do it in our careers. Coaches HAVE BEEN DOING THIS so I am Not understanding the sentiment. It may work out or it may not but I like the idea of the calculated risk being taken. Why hold the athlete to a higher standard?

Reaction Score
SI’s study found that in 2012, 28 players left their schools for distinctly higher levels—19 traditional transfers and nine graduate students who were immediately eligible. Last off-season, that number jumped to 91, with 42 traditional transfers and 49 graduate transfers....

Absolutely, 2 data points make for a conclusive thesis. The trend is demonstrably and dramatically upward. :rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting - don't know that it will carry over to the women in that way, partly because the big powers aren't rebuilding each year because of one-and-done players. Certainly you have some more players transferring, but it is mostly pretty parallel movement or based on specific issues at their initial school.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I have no issues with this. Coaches leave for better opportunities all the time. Why shouldn't athletes? Especially on the men's side, when male athletes can develop much later and have a completely different physique at, say, 20 than they do at 18. If they want to make their living playing basketball at a professional level, they need to go to a school that provides exposure in the form of TV contracts, big conference games, etc.

Reaction Score
I sort of have mixed feelings about this issue. I can see both sides and certainly the benefits to players, but I wonder about what it teaches in respect to loyalty and commitment. It's might be like the old time stereotype of a person who dumps their spouse once they become successful. Of course we now live in a society which seems to promote situational ethics.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just to be fair, athletes also transfer down. Often the rigors of a program like UCONN , or any of the other top 10-15 teams are too much for some student athletes so they opt to go to a less stringent or stressful situation...

Reaction Score
I have no problem with men doing this. Either transferring schools or leaving for the NBA. Why? Because I've given up on the men's game being anywhere near representing the student athlete. After years and years of watching men's college basketball I can no longer stomach it.

As the transferring trend continues to rise on the women's side, I get more and more heartbroken. There's always going to be some of this, for legitimate reasons. But to just leave to try to play for a better team? It just reminds me way too much of LeBron James and his move to Miami to put together a super team. Maybe kids like this. But to me, it's not sports.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Fortunately, individuals young and old have the freedom to make choices re what to do with their lives, and where. It is not something to be taken for granted, or unduly regulated or impeded. Particularly in the case of college athletes who are not being paid for what they do.

There are times when a mid-major coach will be disappointed. There are also plenty of times when a mid-major coach will leave for a bigger program, e.g., Jim Calhoun. There are also times when an employer will be scrambling to try to replace a key employee. IMHO, the resulting inconveniences are small prices to pay.

The author, Pete Thamel, seems to be taking a sympathetic view towards those who are adversely impacted by a mid-major transfer. I googled him and low and behold, he left the NYT for Sports Illustrated in 2012, presumably without worry.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Umm, I am at UConn Stamford, however, next year I am able to transfer to Yale, should I go? Hell yeah, it is the nature of the beast. We all do it in our careers. Coaches HAVE BEEN DOING THIS so I am Not understanding the sentiment. It may work out or it may not but I like the idea of the calculated risk being taken. Why hold the athlete to a higher standard?
Not only coaches but teachers and college administrators. Why hold the athlete to a higher standard indeed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I have no problem with men doing this. Either transferring schools or leaving for the NBA. Why? Because I've given up on the men's game being anywhere near representing the student athlete. After years and years of watching men's college basketball I can no longer stomach it.

As the transferring trend continues to rise on the women's side, I get more and more heartbroken. There's always going to be some of this, for legitimate reasons. But to just leave to try to play for a better team? It just reminds me way too much of LeBron James and his move to Miami to put together a super team. Maybe kids like this. But to me, it's not sports.
Your first paragraph sounds exactly like something I would say. The men's game for me is almost unwatchable for many reasons. If the women's game ever gets to the one and done, selfish, showboating, look at me players, I will stop watching it.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I always get a kick out of posters who say exactly what I'm feeling. I gave up on the men's game maybe three years ago. I had watched that game since I was about 10. Has nothing to offer me. Thank goodness for UConn women.

Reaction Score
I always get a kick out of posters who say exactly what I'm feeling. I gave up on the men's game maybe three years ago. I had watched that game since I was about 10. Has nothing to offer me. Thank goodness for UConn women.

I'm 69. Started watching college basketball in the early sixties when there might be a lone game on during a cold or rainy Saturday afternoon. I think the first tournament game I saw was when Loyola of Chicago won it with Jerry Harkness in 1963. Only the final was televised.

I watched diligently through the eighties, a little less during the early nineties. Loved Loyola Marymount when they were crazy under Paul Westhead. But then, slowly, it became just the tournament that I cared about. Partly it was just oversaturation, but then the other stuff. Now I might watch the tournament finals, if I have nothing else to do.

I still love DIII men's, and my local school, The College of Wooster, is the winningest men's program, in all divisions, since the millennium.

Women's basketball has been a gift. I love UCONN, but also several other programs. I like the below-the-rim play, the team concept that so many programs have, the obvious unity among the girls, the fact that so many of them are excellent communicators. They just make me feel good, and I guess that's what really counts.

Reaction Score
I watched Uconn Men since the 50 and Men's bb in general since the 60''s ---I loved Uconn Men--compared to todays standards there were not so great--but they won the Yankee Conf and got bids to the NIT . The players were Engineering majors, Pre med, Ed, and the true example of Student athlete---the place was the wooded beechers--parking was in a open wind /snow blowing field. Russell, and company in the pros--New York, Celtics, etc were a pleasure to watch.
Then came the revolution of playground tactics and bulling basketball--it moved slowly into Men's College---and I stopped watching College Men and Pro BB. Uconn women got me in the early 1990/s and I never regretted it.

Reaction Score
I sort of have mixed feelings about this issue. I can see both sides and certainly the benefits to players, but I wonder about what it teaches in respect to loyalty and commitment. It's might be like the old time stereotype of a person who dumps their spouse once they become successful. Of course we now live in a society which seems to promote situational ethics.

It is the American way---if there is a path to better yourself and you don't take it--you missed out on the American dream (maybe)--if you can get into a well recognized program from podunk u---go for it.. Never pass up and OPPORTUNITY--they may never come again !!! It is so much easier to say were you are--don't get your feet caught in the mud.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I watched Uconn Men since the 50 and Men's bb in general since the 60''s ---I loved Uconn Men--compared to todays standards there were not so great--but they won the Yankee Conf and got bids to the NIT . The players were Engineering majors, Pre med, Ed, and the true example of Student athlete---the place was the wooded beechers--parking was in a open wind /snow blowing field. Russell, and company in the pros--New York, Celtics, etc were a pleasure to watch.
Then came the revolution of playground tactics and bulling basketball--it moved slowly into Men's College---and I stopped watching College Men and Pro BB. Uconn women got me in the early 1990/s and I never regretted it.
I remember when one of the top boys high school basketball players in the country committed to Connecticut years ago. He was a Parade AA. I believe his name was Cornelious or something similar. I could not figure out why he chose Uconn. I knew of no one who had ever committed to Uconn. He turned out to be one of Uconn's greatest players. This had to be in the 70's or 80's. Do you recall who that player is? I believe he is a Uconn legend.

Reaction Score

I grew up on Long Island, graduating from Great Neck South high school in 1965. My junior year, we had a really good team and played Mineola in the Nassau County semifinals. They had a guy named Bill Corley, who was too big and too good for us and we went down to defeat. Kid went on to have a great career at UCONN, but passed away young back in 1999. I'm sure you remember him.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
1-of-the-6, I saw that game also. I believe they beat Cincinnati. That was the year before UCLA started winning their many NC.

Reaction Score
1-of-the-6, I saw that game also. I believe they beat Cincinnati. That was the year before UCLA started winning their many NC.

I believe you're right. Ohio State won it in 1960 with Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, and Bobby Knight. Cincy won it in 1961 with a center named Paul Hogue. Not sure about '62 and too lazy to look it up. After '63 John Wooden decided to get serious. :)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I remember when one of the top boys high school basketball players in the country committed to Connecticut years ago. He was a Parade AA. I believe his name was Cornelious or something similar. I could not figure out why he chose Uconn. I knew of no one who had ever committed to Uconn. He turned out to be one of Uconn's greatest players. This had to be in the 70's or 80's. Do you recall who that player is? I believe he is a Uconn legend.

You are probably referring to Corny Thompson, who starred for the Huskies in the late 70's and played briefly in the NBA with the Mavericks, I think. Believe he was a Middletown High product.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I believe you're right. Ohio State won it in 1960 with Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, and Bobby Knight. Cincy won it in 1961 with a center named Paul Hogue. Not sure about '62 and too lazy to look it up. After '63 John Wooden decided to get serious. :)
Cincy won it in 1962 also with a player whose last name was Wilson. Most sports writers picked Ohio State to win it in 1961 and 1962 because when they won it in 1960 Lucas and two others were sophomores. It did not happen.

Reaction Score
Corny Thompson, I seem to recall from Middletown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom