HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Apparently, beating BC didn’t do much for the team in regards to rankings

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I realize these are entertainment and subjective.

Fresno is #79
BC is #94.

UConn is 4-5 and beat them both convincingly.

UConn should be somewhere between 80-100.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Fresno is #79
BC is #94.

College football is incredibly inertia driven for rankings. If we finish out the season relatively strong we will get a better start to next season.

Reaction Score

Fresno is #79
BC is #94.

If you think we beat Fresno “convincingly,” you need corrective lenses. And in fairness, BC’s win over L’Ville is probably substantially better than any win we have. I think we’re a few spots too low as well fwiw, but we’ve lost to Ball State and Utah State. BC and Fresno haven’t.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you think we beat Fresno “convincingly,” you need corrective lenses. And in fairness, BC’s win over L’Ville is probably substantially better than any win we have. I think we’re a few spots too low as well fwiw, but we’ve lost to Ball State and Utah State. BC and Fresno haven’t.
I'm thinking BCU can carry their own water, thank you very much.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
We are winning the games we would have lost last year. That is a start. We need to beat Liberty to get any upward traction in the polls because UMass and Army aren’t pushing the needle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Uconn beat Fresno by 130 yards, won TO margin, and held ball for more than 13 minutes more than FSU.

As I said at the end of that game, if you plugged all the numbers from that game in to a computer, the actual outcome was about as close as you could make the final score.

Reaction Score
Computer rankings look at points scored, yards, etc. We won 13-3 at home, against a team the computers had ranked fairly lowly themselves. Most of the offense came on short drives, the offensive metrics that the computers would've looked at weren't great... so I'm not shocked if any automated rankings don't show much of a response to the victory over BC.

Reaction Score

are we sure this is updated? I looked the other day and bcu was at 94 and I thought UCONN was a t113 or 114. bcu would have had to drop at least a few spots.

Reaction Score
Over at Massey, he shows the rankings from 43 sources. Our top rank is 73 and our low is 123, with a median of 103, nearly the same as Ball State. (this is of FBS programs)
Here's the poll that has us at 73

An objective calculation for ranking NCAA Division 1 FBS football teams based only on wins per game of the team, of their opponents, and of the opponents' opponents.

Reaction Score
College football is incredibly inertia driven for rankings. If we finish out the season relatively strong we will get a better start to next season.
It’s so rear view with ratings

Reaction Score
Here's the poll that has us at 73

An objective calculation for ranking NCAA Division 1 FBS football teams based only on wins per game of the team, of their opponents, and of the opponents' opponents.
Vern's my man!
We're just below average and a win over Ball st. would have put us over average and in the top 60..........

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
We’re not in last, so still chalking this up as a win. Let’s get to .500 on Friday!

Reaction Score
Over at Massey, he shows the rankings from 43 sources. Our top rank is 73 and our low is 123, with a median of 103, nearly the same as Ball State. (this is of FBS programs)
I'll take being ranked higher than BCU and VT in year 1 of Mora. Has Liberty at #40 (very high standard deviation showing lot of variance in opinion of how good they actually are) and Army #97 (2 of 3 wins against FCS teams, not sure how ahead of UConn). UMess is almost consensus #131.
How important is coaching (or keeping with a sound group of coaches when things don't go well one year), last year Tulane was 2-10 (5 losses by touchdown or less) and this year 7-1 and shown as # 22.

Reaction Score
Up to #133 in Sagarin.
once you remove all the AA schools its basically 113 or so, IIRC, I did this an hour ago and forget exactly. Losing to ball state hurt but i'm still convinced it has previous years results having a non-trivial weight. Massey is the same.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
once you remove all the AA schools its basically 113 or so, IIRC, I did this an hour ago and forget exactly. Losing to ball state hurt but i'm still convinced it has previous years results having a non-trivial weight. Massey is the same.
117 but yea.

Reaction Score
Was going to post this myself earlier today but waited for some consensus from the pros. Lot's to chuckle about here on this one.
We moved up one spot in the pole by beating a favored team. We did cost BC eight spots..... Meanwhile .....
Liberty gains 18 spots without playing a game........... Bye week.
So much for polls and facts..... Good conversation here as always though.

Reaction Score
117 but yea.
I knew it was that or the other. I just ran, after an hour of data prep, yay me and yay my life, a logistic regression, home away effects, with a very small penalty to make sure things converge. A bit out of whack as an 8-0 Holy Cross gets ranked 26th but overall on the thing I just ran I put UConn 117 nationally out of NCAA-1. Sagarin has us at 133 and Massey at 139.

I don't think we're bottom 25 like the other two would imply. I think they use last year's info as part of the calculation.

edit: I hand count 20 FCS schools ahead of UConn so that puts us 97 overall in whatever I did. This makes more sense to me.

Losses at #11 (UMich), vs #21 (Syr), #23 (NCSt), at #110 (UtSt), at #133 (them). All teams which are ranked higher if you factor in home field.
Wins vs 90 (FrSt), at #156 (FIU), vs #164 (BC), #259 (CCSU). Fresno state is the only win ranked higher than our own ranking even account for home-field.

----

The reason I don't produce a method is that I don't see any I like that "solve" for traditional problems. There are a couple of mathematical computing headaches involved.

Also the BCS always used methods that left analysis contained to the current season. The computer rankings are no longer obligated.

I also haven't found any score model with my worry. More philosophical issues on my part. I'd like to use a thing that models scores.

----
Sincerely,

Your local Ph.D. Statistician.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I know at the start of the season prior years are weighted in, but Sagarin has always said that by the end once everyone is "well connected" he drops the weighting and the results are unbiased. Back in the day he used to remove this weighting about the time the first BCS rankings would be released (which was necessary to allow it to potentially be used)... we've got to be close to that point by now.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
09/10 - Syracuse
09/17 - at Michigan
09/24 - at NC State

Those looking for higher rankings are forgetful about these games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom