Unreal effort. Unreal call. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Unreal effort. Unreal call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yet again Boyle tossed into situation where the chance of failure is high and he gets ripped for it.

I don't think Boyle is getting ripped by anyone. He's not a good QB, but he was put in an awful situation with very little chance to be successful.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Bottomline for me - I would have rather lost with scenario i) missing the FG and/or losing in OT or ii) coming up short on fourth down with my offense in there. Losing on the ultra low % fake field goal attempt is tough - especially when we tried the trickery once before in the game.

Reaction Score
I don't think Boyle is getting ripped by anyone. He's not a good QB, but he was put in an awful situation with very little chance to be successful.
I re-watched it 10times now. Mizzou's number 97 goes in untouched while 2 lineman watch. Diaco was correct. It would have been blocked. Wow missed assignments everywhere.

I think kicking it was not the correct choice, but I would have gone for it instead.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I re-watched it 10times now. Mizzou's number 97 goes in untouched while 2 lineman watch. Diaco was correct. It would have been blocked. Wow missed assignments everywhere.

I think kicking it was not the correct choice, but I would have gone for it instead.

I have not rewatched, but that is my vague memory of the play. Then we should have gone for it on 4th with the real offense.

Reaction Score
Worst call ever made in the history of uconn

If there was a question mark at the end of that post, it's Vanderbilt 2011. UConn up 21-14 with 7 minutes left with ball 3rd & 9 at UConn 40 and defense playing out of its mind. Johnny McEntee has already thrown two interceptions. GDL calls pass and Vandy gets the pick-six.

Reaction Score
Really bad choice of play. Even though he missed previously, Tarbutt got the kick off in plenty of time. This kick would have been with the wind. The fact that MO had a lineman in the backfield on the fake doesn't mean they would have on a "real" attempt. MO expected the fake and probably adjusted their defense for it. If you are going to give a scholly for a kicker, which is unusual for UConn, one would think he has the ability to make a pressure kick. Either this or keep the O on the field. The fake call was head coach armature hour.

Reaction Score
It's not worth it to replay the call a million times. It wasn't the right call and we should have either kicked or just went for it straight up but ya know you can't kill coach. He called a brilliant game (outside of the passing on 3rd down at the end of the 1st half and the last play). He just went to the well one too many times with the fakes. Learn from it and move on.

Also bear in the mind Mizzou's TD drive was kept alive only by a clear non-catch on 3rd and long that was called a catch. Without that gift our defense held Mizzou to 0 points.

Reaction Score
If there was a question mark at the end of that post, it's Vanderbilt 2011. UConn up 21-14 with 7 minutes left with ball 3rd & 9 at UConn 40 and defense playing out of its mind. Johnny McEntee has already thrown two interceptions. GDL calls pass and Vandy gets the pick-six.
Not fair bringing up that buffoon...PP brings back nightmares.

Reaction Score
politics said:

This was a worse call. The Vandy game was a worse result. But comparing a pass play with a fake field goal is apples and oranges.

Reaction Score
Really bad choice of play. Even though he missed previously, Tarbutt got the kick off in plenty of time. This kick would have been with the wind. The fact that MO had a lineman in the backfield on the fake doesn't mean they would have on a "real" attempt. MO expected the fake and probably adjusted their defense for it. If you are going to give a scholly for a kicker, which is unusual for UConn, one would think he has the ability to make a pressure kick. Either this or keep the O on the field. The fake call was head coach armature hour.

What makes you say it is unusual for UCONN to give a scholarship for a kicker? Please tell me the last time UCONN was without a scholarship kicker.

Reaction Score
What makes you say it is unusual for UCONN to give a scholarship for a kicker? Please tell me the last time UCONN was without a scholarship kicker.

I may be mistaken, however I am (was) under the impression that many kickers at many D1 schools arrive on campus w/o a ship, including at UCONN. That is not saying they don't get one after arrival. Tarbutt was an exception in that he was offered prior.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I had to miss the game. Riding back home I eventually got within reception range of WTIC and heard some post game commentary by Joe D. ...... I was amazed at what I heard. Almost beat a team that nationally no one gave us a rats ass of being competitive.

Armchair QB'ing is the easiest post game commentary going on at all levels of the sport. Guess what, if it worked, the Missouri fans would be screaming at their coach for not having the team ready for a fake. They may have asked for his head as ND fans did after they lost to UConn.

Mizzou's defense was tough, as was expected. Ten tackles in the backfield, 3 sacks. As feared preseason, the O line isn't that good....at this point. And I agree with many, what the heck is wrong with special teams........never have I witnessed a team that couldn't protect extra point kicks. FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM!

But the bottom line, overall statistically, it read as if UConn was fairly even in most respects....absent the score.

So what do you want? A coach that limits his offense schemes to PPGLD wall paper options.....run....run....run....punt? Or a coach that has some imagination. A coach that says to his players we're UConn .....we can't. Or a coach that says to his players we're UConn......the coaches have confidence in you....we think you can.

He had to make a choice and live or die from it. He had a choice to make as to the overall probability of success......the line was porous, and special teams have not had an easy go of it through 3 games.

I'm not criticizing any poster........I've been an arm chair Q myself. But for someone that could not watch or listen to the game live
and have limited insight to the game, I was smiling as I put the car in the garage.

Here is my arm chair QB opinions on the program:
BD is on his way to turning the program around.
BD believes in his players BIG TIME.
BD is going to give us a program that is going to cause fits to opposing coaches.
The players, although probably disappointed, gain confidence with the coaches confidence.
As far as recruiting goes, this game was probably a big plus for the program.
As far as the season goes, I'm confident UConn will surprise many and exceed expectations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I may be mistaken, however I am (was) under the impression that many kickers at many D1 schools arrive on campus w/o a ship, including at UCONN. That is not saying they don't get one after arrival. Tarbutt was an exception in that he was offered prior.

Not even going back too far - both Teggart and Puyol were offered scholarships prior to arrival on campus.

I would imagine across the board that PK get more scholarship offers than punters.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not disputing your statement, however, research shows my statement regarding kickers at D1 schools to also be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom