Unreal effort. Unreal call. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Unreal effort. Unreal call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you are going for it on 4th down, run the regular offense to have more options. That 4th down call had the lowest percentage of being successful.

Reaction Score
coachcap said:
If you are going for it on 4th down, run the regular offense to have more options. That 4th down call had the lowest percentage of being successful.

This. Just go for it, particularly when you've already faked.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but hiring Paul Pasqualoni was the worst call ever made in UCONN football history.

I totally agree. And on that note I vote that we put that way behind us because we are in a much better place and that loser has no business being spoken about here. I hereby motion to do away with your profile pic. No more discussing him as he is the worst of all time.

Reaction Score
I totally agree. And on that note I vote that we put that way behind us because we are in a much better place and that loser has no business being spoken about here. I hereby motion to do away with your profile pic. No more discussing him as he is the worst of all time.
Not for nothing, but hiring Paul Pasqualoni was the worst call ever made in UCONN football history.

Plus I just can't stand to look at his picture every time you post.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Good news is the OL held up for the most part. More or less the same sack/TFL numbers as Nova and Army against a much much better defensive front. Shirreffs had time to throw using the quick drops. We should keep the quick drops by the way. He'll only have more time against the rest of the schedule. Only Temple is bringing that kind of pressure.

I wonder why we didn't see more AN as RJ was having a tough go of it and he fumbled.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
what would any of you have thought before the season if you were told diaco was going to have us at 2-0 within 25 yards of tying or winning the game at #22 mizzou?
big picture - we have to recognize the progress. just need a little time to process the lost opportunity of a big road win that was within our grasp.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If we missed the FG, you could have accepted the poor ST teams play costing the game. If you go for the win and miss, you could have accepted the poor ST play.

If a coach's job is to put his team in the best position to win, he didn't do that on the last play. The holding back of the empty set offense until the last series was brilliant as was the first fake punt, the play calling, the defensive sets were all very good. The last play was a bit of a choke job. I don't know if it cost the game because there were really no good options, but I think he chose the lowest percentage play.

Reaction Score
Of course it was the wrong call, but that takes away from the ample evidence of significant progress Diaco and this coaching staff has made in getting out of the rut dug by P & Co. We have every reason to believe we can be bowl eligible. For a second-year head coach coming off three disastrous years of coaching and recruiting, that's huge.

Reaction Score
Diaco needs to learn when to make a safe, reasonable call when the game is on the line. There was no need to get cute at that point. I'm not really livid, or numb, just a bit disappointed in how that ended.
This. 1000x this. I would have preferred he left the offense on the field, but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over it. 59:30 of the game was a hard fought, decently coached affair and I'm not going to go bananas over one (admittedly) bad decision.

Like someone said a few posts ago, I'm looking at the body of work and the progress.

Reaction Score
Look at it this way. UConn football sucks, and in a sucky conference. In order for this program to become something, Diaco has to do things out of the ordinary, balls to the wall. If by some chance the 22-year-old mediocre kicker makes a 42 yarder to send it to OT against an SEC team on the road, we STILL haven't won the game. Had we converted the fake, it would be all over TV everywhere-big upset, big finish-and hopefully put UConn on the map A LITTLE BIT, AND we would be 3-0, AND we would enter the national picture a little bit.

Some play calling was questionable and situationally this team is garbage, but Diaco went all or nothing, and you have to in order to become something in college football.
Hook and Ladder anyone? Boise

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
what would any of you have thought before the season if you were told diaco was going to have us at 2-0 within 25 yards of tying or winning the game at #22 mizzou?
What would you have thought in any of the past 10 years if you thought we'd be within 25 yards of a tie against Mizzou and we didn't have a kicker who could make a 42 yard field goal? THAT is the bigger question. Big difference. Puyol doesn't have it? Let the other guy BE THE GUY.

TARBUTT
TERBUTT
TEGBUTT
TEGGUTT
TEGGETT
TEGGERT

Close, but no cigar. Need to build some confidence in a foot here. Choose one and let them win it or lose it.

Reaction Score
BlueDogs said:
Worst call ever made in the history of uconn

Hardly. We were having problems with pat's and protection, and Mizzou could really bring it. Sometimes you take a chance. Diaco wouldn't made the choice if he was confident in the kicking game. It wasn't a decision I would've made, but under the circumstances not a bad risk.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
You're fighting a losing battle, bud.
What do you mean? We literally went the distance with a ranked SEC team on ESPN. Absolutely awesome for UConn football, are you kidding me?
Unfortunately BYU lost, but I can't wait for another game against a potentially ranked team on ESPN. It's good for UConn and people were watching. It's exciting. I mean, do you actually enjoy games against Navy and Tulsa on SNY every week? Those games are excruciating.

Reaction Score
The fake FG only works if the other team actually thinks we're going to kick a FG.
Or by an exceptional athletic play by the QB. Like a sprint out were the QB may pass or run.
The Mo. coaches and players were pretty sure we weren't kicking.
If you don't think you can make that FG ,which only gets you to OT anyway.
OT probably favors MO.
Then you go with your offense to get a FD not a backup going through the motions.
Boyles execution of the playfake ( like UConn was going to get yardage on a dive play) was half hearted and his throw was more like one from your Kicker than an actual QB. Has he lost interest?
That call was stupid and poorly executed.

Reaction Score
Kick the damned field goal and take your chances in ot. And Boyles threw a wounded duck up there. The tight end actually had the defenders by a step with a good pass. Ugh!

You do know that there was an unblocked Mizzou defender immediately in Boyles face.

This was not the right call by Diaco. We did have a great opportunity to pull a big upset. Let's go on from here.

Reaction Score
Yet again Boyle tossed into situation where the chance of failure is high and he gets ripped for it.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna say the special teams making the trip was the problem. Hate the fake call. DO go for it or do not, None of this halfazz nonsense.
The fake call would have been good if he had not it twice before. - punt FG. i would have let Tarbuutt kick it and hope to live on for another 10 minutes.

I understand Diaco's point. The protection was awful and he did not trust it, then just go for the 4 yards instead of telegraphing the fake. I mean everybody in the house must have suspected the fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom